Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to restart a duramax after running it out of fuel?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've never run out (missed it by this much), but I imagine its about the same as a filter change.

Refuel. Open (just loosen, don't remove) the bleeder screw on the filter head. Pump until fuel comes from the screw. Attempt to start. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry to say i did this, that damn gauge reads different than the one in my Z-71 did. i refilled loosened bleed screw and primed till i saw fuel then cranked and i mean cranked over 3 minutes till it started i thought it wasn't going to go!

·
Registered
403 Posts
After you get fuel flow and no more air out of bleed port, you need to close screw, and pump some more till pump resistance becomes stiff and you can't pump anymore.

I thought I was going to have to do this last fall on the Blue Ridge Parkway pulling my 25' TT. I entered the P'way on the lower end on a tank that had about 100 miles run out. I knew that there were fuel stops on P'way and figured I could get fuel if I needed any.

Well, there stops, but gas only NO DIESEL ! So by the time I got over into VA and off the P'way to a truck stop about 5 miles of P'way my fuel range indicated on DIC was down in the single digits!

·
Registered
646 Posts
DOM:

You're right! I wasn't thinking about trying to get fuel from the filter to the IP and injector lines. More pumping should have done that and should have reduced the cranking time.

Matt:

Wow, three minutes is a lot of cranking! I hope I didn't mislead you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i ran out one day, about 2 gallons of diesel, and 10-15 minutes of pumping i got it started, died 2 times before it ran. Arm was sore the next day.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The low fuel warning light in my truck comes on about 1/4 gallon before it runs out. I dont see the point in having it come on so low???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I tried loosening the black bleeder in the top of the fuel filter, First I turned on the ignition and waited, nothing happened. I then took out the bleeder to make sure that I was loosening the right bolt, and it was. I put 5 gallons in the tank so I know I have fuel. If I'm not seeing any fuel out of the bleeder is the pump pumping? In the replies to the post references are made about pumping, is this mechanical from the fuel pump or is it pumping in some physical way? Any more help would be appreciated.

still dead on the side of the road.

·
Registered
514 Posts
On top of the fuel filter is a manual priming pump. Thats what everyone's making reference to. It looks like a silver cylinder sticking up about 2 inches off the filter head.Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
646 Posts

Here is the pump and bleed screw (taken from the How To section)

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Chevyfan

The new Duramax's dont have an electric fuel pump like the older 6.5's did so turning on the key is not going to help.

Do as everyone has said loosen the screw on top of the filter housing but dont remove it.

Manually push down on the priming piston also on top of the filter housing. It will take quite a while since you ran the tank dry. When you see fuel coming out of the bleeder screw pump a few more times to help get the air out. Then close the screw and pump a few more times till the pump gets hard to push.

Try to start- If it still wont start right away loosen the screw again pump a few more times to remove more air. Close the screw, pump a few more times again and try to start it again.

You may have to do a few times I'm not sure I never ran it dry. Changing the filter is enough pumping for me.

Good Luck and look at the pictures on the how to section they make it all clear.

Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
398 Posts
problemchild said:
The low fuel warning light in my truck comes on about 1/4 gallon before it runs out. I dont see the point in having it come on so low???

That's not A low fuel light, All that light is for is to give you time to find A place to pull off the road out of traffic.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Be nice if the dealer could program the lite to come on with at least enough fuel left to get you to a station, I have put 32.5 gallons in mine an it never came on. Wonder if it works???

Geno

·
Registered
617 Posts
My low fuel light comes on with about 3 gallons left in the tank.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My low fuel idicator use to come on at 3 gallons. Now that I have leveled the truck it comes on at 1.5G. About a 15 mile radius max.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My low fuel light works fine on both of my tanks. I use it as the signal to swap. When it comes on on the 26 gallon OEM, it takes 24 gallons to refill. When it comes on on the 43 gallon aux, it takes 32 gallons to refill (aux has a much larger "footprint" - 12"x59" and that makes it about 3 gals/inch of level, so the remaining 11 gallons is about 3-1/2" of fuel).

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey dragon, actually a d-max's fuel pump will come on with just the key, i did it last time i changed my filter. i had a buddy get in the truck and hit the key and i had the bleed screw open and fuel just came right out after several bubbles

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
matt m said:
hey dragon, actually a d-max's fuel pump will come on with just the key, i did it last time i changed my filter. i had a buddy get in the truck and hit the key and i had the bleed screw open and fuel just came right out after several bubbles

The DMax pump doesn't "come on" with the key. The only pump on the DMax is the gear-driven two-stage mechanical pump at the front of the engine valley. It "sucks" fuel from the tank by pulling a vacuum all the way back to the tank. To purge/prime the system you have to pump the primer pump on the filter head. If your buddy turned on the key and you got some bubbles, it was some solenoids/controls "clicked" that allowed fuel to flow backwards from the pump towards the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts