Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the new Econominder system I am seeing in several magazines is the Ottominder renamed or is it a third system intended to give better fuel mileage? I see the Ottominder and Econominder as advertised with the same HP and Torque numbers which may indicate this is just a renameing. For that matter what does Ottominder stand for any way?

Thanks
Wayne z.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Anyone know if the new Econominder system I am seeing in several magazines is the Ottominder renamed or is it a third system intended to give better fuel mileage? I see the Ottominder and Econominder as advertised with the same HP and Torque numbers which may indicate this is just a renameing. For that matter what does Ottominder stand for any way?

Thanks
Wayne z.
The Economind is the replacement for the Ottomind. The tunes have been re-mapped to more favor the fuel economy side of things. The overall power output is the same but the tunes are more efficient. The Ottomind name comes from a play on the "Otto Cycle" in 4 stroke engines. You can see more on the Otto Cycle here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_cycle#The_Otto_cycle :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, based on my towing requirements I guess I'll look at the Economind system. Never thought to connect the Ottomind to the Otto cycle as far as the name goes.

Wayne z.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I have been very happy with the ottomind I am using right now. My buddy still has my sixgun... The mileage has been good on the sixgun & great on the ottomind. Now you are saying the the economind is even better then the ottomind. Wow. Might have to give my buddies his ottomind & snag me an economind. What are the number for the hp & torque for the economind? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Crash. Have you towed with the Ottomind? If so how'd it do? I'm still in the market for something but it has be safe, increase fuel mileage and pay for itself. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Hey Crash. Have you towed with the Ottomind? If so how'd it do? I'm still in the market for something but it has be safe, increase fuel mileage and pay for itself. Thanks.

I have an older 33'-0" fifthwheel. I went from getting 9 mpg to up to 13 on some trips with the ottomind. I like it alot... Plus, you can tow in all the levels, if you need more power..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow. My truck is stock and I've experienced anywhere from 8 to almost 12 pulling my big trailer but that depends mostly on the wind and how hard I'm pushing it. My average towing over the entire summer is a little over 9. That's all conditions and roads and not running it that hard most of the time, prob 65 avg. What would you say you "average" has increased when comparing similar trips and conditions? Also, if you up the power level I'm assuming the mpg goes down? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Wow. My truck is stock and I've experienced anywhere from 8 to almost 12 pulling my big trailer but that depends mostly on the wind and how hard I'm pushing it. My average towing over the entire summer is a little over 9. That's all conditions and roads and not running it that hard most of the time, prob 65 avg. What would you say you "average" has increased when comparing similar trips and conditions? Also, if you up the power level I'm assuming the mpg goes down? Thanks.

Each truck is truely different. Is that 8 to 12 hand calc or DIC? More power does not equal less milage either. It is actually opposite of that is your can control your right foot. It does depend on your right foot with the new found power. My mileage has been different trips & hand calc'd mileage after each trip not a combined mileage. I normally get 12 mpg driving like I want to get there. :D I want to get where I am going to. If I would drive 55 my mileage would be even better. This is way better then stock just for the power plus you get better mileage is a bonus. I do not feel my fifthwheel behind me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Economind is the replacement for the Ottomind. The tunes have been re-mapped to more favor the fuel economy side of things. The overall power output is the same but the tunes are more efficient.
Hey Jeff, am I to understand that the Ottomind will then be discontinued if the Economind is the replacement?

Just wondering if I should look at the Ottomind while they are still available or go with the Economind.

Terry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Crash, Did you install a 4inch exhaust or leave stock? Id like to get the econominder but i want to leave exhaust stock. Tired of the drone noise while towing. Just curious if results would be the same no matter what exhaust.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Each truck is truely different. Is that 8 to 12 hand calc or DIC? More power does not equal less milage either. It is actually opposite of that is your can control your right foot. It does depend on your right foot with the new found power. My mileage has been different trips & hand calc'd mileage after each trip not a combined mileage. I normally get 12 mpg driving like I want to get there. :D I want to get where I am going to. If I would drive 55 my mileage would be even better. This is way better then stock just for the power plus you get better mileage is a bonus. I do not feel my fifthwheel behind me.
I always hand calc. My DIC usually shows about .5 mpg higher than hand. Power isn't really a problem now. I can pull my 36' 12,000 lb gooseneck as fast as I want to go. I kind of look at it from the other direction. I have no doubt power would be increased but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to get another 2 mpg. Any added power would just be bonus. I'm having a hard time spending several hundred bucks with no guarantee of satisfaction. I really wish more companies would offer that. I'd definitely give it a try.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Hey Crash, Did you install a 4inch exhaust or leave stock? Id like to get the econominder but i want to leave exhaust stock. Tired of the drone noise while towing. Just curious if results would be the same no matter what exhaust.

I had it with the stock exhaust also. I can not remember what the mileage difference was with the new bank exhaust. I am thinking maybe I gained a 1/2 mpg with the new 4" exhaust, but not sure do not remember. I also love the sound of the exhaust & hit the gas a little faster to get more sound so the mileage could be better. The temps still stayed really low with the stock exhaust on, but they were really low with the new exhaust. I also had the stock exhaust with the sixgun. I would just watch your temps if you would tow on a big grade in the higher levels on the ottomind with the stock exhaust. You will be fine with just the stock exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.