Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 2005 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax in it, and he is having me research modifications for his truck. What got him going was the same truck but a year or two older that has exhaust and a tuner(not known what brands) and said he gets 20mpg on the highway. My dad wants to go straight for the tuner but I told him that he may need to go to exhaust first. I know that with pretty much any vehicle, the exhaust is the first place to go, since we all know how OEM's choke things up. What do you guys think?

Let me know
-Dan

·
Registered
419 Posts
Adding an exhaust and air intake system will help tremendously. Any time you can get a diesel to breathe in and out better it will perform much better too.

The exhaust will help the most with EGT's when you add more power from a module or chip.

Its your choice as to what to do first, and sometimes its like a coin toss. Just look around and make your decision and head that way.

We like the MBRP exhaust systems and AFE Stage 2 Pro Guard 7 air intake systems, just for your information gathering.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I would go straight for the tuner. Many, many, many people run only a tuner without problems.

From my experience you will see very little difference if any in performance by going with a 4" exhaust and an air intake. The only real difference you will see in reduced EGTs.

Air intake doesn't do much other then add a coolness factor. Exhaust reduces EGT and also has a coolness factor.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I agree. The intake and exhaust will help, but If he wants great milage, tell him to try edge or predator and keep it on the tow tune (lowest setting).

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Adding an exhaust and air intake system will help tremendously. Any time you can get a diesel to breathe in and out better it will perform much better too.

I'm sure you have proven this on a dyno already, so how about posting some numbers to back up your claims?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
First mod should be gauges in my opinion...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
:iamwithst Then Exhaust then, tow tune, if for looking of safe power and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I agree with this too, and if you get the Edge/Attitude, guage readings are provided on the display.
JP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing about the gauges is that I don't think my dad(who owns the truck) will pay too much attention to them. He's mainly looking for more MPG(performance comes next), and I know that tuners increase EGT's. I'm just trying to keep things safe for him. He doesn't beat on the truck so I guess EGT's really wouldn't be much of a problem for him.
He does do a decent amount of towing between horses, the boat, and the tractor(very rarely) so I'm starting to think a tuner would be the best thing. Most of the threads I've read said that the Edge is the tuner of choice for the Duramax. What's the easiest to install and disconnect for those trips to the dealer and provide good MPG and a decent power increase?

thanks
-Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Becareful some gauges add horsepower:joke: im running a quadzilla(110 setting on this trip!) and with 1600lbs in back running out to indy from missouri for the nationals last year i got 20-21.2 mpg but was very easy on it 70-75 tops no hot-lapping was done on the trip out!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Sounds like either stock. Or maybe a small module stuck in a tow setting like an EZ edge or the like. Maybe a cat back. Those are if he wants a bit more grunt and dosnt mind dropping a few $$$. Sounds like he is happy stock though?

A programer(or anything) to do as a mod probaly wont pay for itself in terms of milage.

·
Registered
870 Posts
A programer(or anything) to do as a mod probaly wont pay for itself in terms of milage.
No, but the SMILES PER GALLON go through the roof!!!! ):h :muahaha:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.