Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just currious how it works,I ordered my new LLY 4X4 crew cab short about 5 weeks ago,I was told 4-6 weeks for delivery,My dealer is now station that the build date will be towards the end of May,My concern is that by the time it is delivered the rebates and incentives will change for the worst(but hopefully for the better).Also has anybody recieved the fuel tank settlement allowance certificates recently?I mailed back the paperwory back in Feb. and Im hoping to use the grand towards the purchase,I called the company handeling it but they were not too helpfull

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just read you above statement with great intrest. This is the first time I have heard anything about the "fuel tank settlement allowance certificates". Can you expand on this, and if not does anybody else out there have any info. I took delivery of my rig on March 29. any help would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel tank "settlement" was some sort of a class action suite aganst GM for their older truck series where side impact could cause tanks to explode,I dont know the exact dates.I beileve if you had a GM truck 77-89 ish and had it registered before march 01 a letter went out entilting you 1k off of a GM purchase

·
Registered
135 Posts
Was this only full sized 77-89's or any of them ? I had an 87 S-10 and that grand would have been nice!!

ROB

·
Registered
58 Posts
ob1kubota, yes I recieved my certificate. I should take delivery of my truck this week and the extra grand will be nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own a 1979 Chevrolet C-30 with saddle tanks, so I assume I would have been eligible for the certificate... Haven't seen anything from GM about a rebate come in the mail. Any of you folks have a GM internet link indicating where you can submit questions on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Answered my own question with a call to GM - you had to own these trucks with the "saddle tank" problem in mid-1996 to be eligible. I bought my 1979 C-30 Chevy in Jan 97 - win some, lose some...

But, I didn't really lose because I still own a 2004 Duramax and got an excellent deal with no hassle at Clayton Chevrolet in Arab, AL. (Might as well give good guys a plug here - because a lot of dealers sure make a decent deal an exercise in endurance...)

·
Registered
58 Posts
You just have to know the previous owner. At the time of the settlement my in-laws owned the truck and then sold it ot us. On the back of the certificate it says "current owner," so we also got the certificate.

·
Registered
363 Posts
IIRC, that certificate is probably worth only $250 dollars now. It started at $1,000 and after a certain date it dropped to $500 and then it was supposed to drop again to $250 and then to $0. I used my certificate last May and got $500 for it. I think at the end of July last year it was supposed to drop to $250.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I beleive that the Certificate expired already..........When I used my last one in September 2003 it was worth $500.00.....and the expiration was January 29th, 2004 IIRC..........

Rebates currently.

GM REBATES

T
NY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My other concern is that my build date is not for a week or two,By the time it is delivered I will be beyond the June 1 deadline as far as current rebates.anybody know how it works?

·
Registered
332 Posts
From what I understand, you get the rebates that are in effect at time of delivery. Hope fully they will go up or stay the same next time for end of model year close out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
I beleive that the Certificate expired already..........When I used my last one in September 2003 it was worth $500.00.....and the expiration was January 29th, 2004 IIRC..........

Rebates currently.

GM REBATES

T
NY

Had to do a search to find out what it was again. The $1,000 was good for 18 months. After that time it dropped to $500 and that was good for 15 months. So, they would have expired at the end of October 2003.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just pulled my certificate to be sure I was stating this correctly: My certificate was issued 2/13/2004 and is good until 5/13/2005. My mother-in-law is the one who received the paperwork in the mail and sent it back, since they owned the truck during the settlement. When she received the coupon in the mail she gave it to me. I have taken it to the dealer and we will be using it to purchase our truck when it shows up this week.

I don't know how to go about getting the paperwork but I know there are still valid coupons still out there.

John

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is the link to the only fuel tank settlement that I am aware of. It is the certificate that I recieved and used in my purchase last year. As you can see, I got the time lengths switched around about the $1,000 and $500. IIRC, I got the certificate in January of 2001 or right around that time.

http://www.vehicle-injuries.com/pdf/gm_pickup_settlement.pdf

I suppose your mother-in-law could have sent in the stuff to be excluded from this settlement and gotten in on some other one, but as I said before, I am not aware of any other settlements.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Just bought an 04 2500HD LLY D/A EC/SB and used the gas tank settlement certificate that skibum referrered to for $1000. Here is the deal: When the certificates were issued the first time back in '01 you had the option of trading the certificate for $100 cash if you choose not to use it toward a new vehicle. As I was not in the market for a new truck at the time I sent it back for the $100. The courts then decided that the certificates could not legally be traded for cash. GM then re-issued the certificates in Feb '04 to those that sent them back for the $100. The timing worked out perfect for me.
Gotta love it when that happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long was it from the time that you sent back the paperwork in Feb till the time you recieved the certificate?

·
Registered
665 Posts
ob1kubota said:
How long was it from the time that you sent back the paperwork in Feb till the time you recieved the certificate?
I did not need to send back any paperwork. The certificate was included in the mailing. The "request for certificate" paperwork is not needed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That just sucks. You got $100 cash then later you got a certificate good for $1,000 after the original certificates expired. I only got $500 for my certificate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts