Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm suffering from the dreaded leaky GM battery syndrome. Currently I'm driving around on one battery. Where is the best place to buy an Optima battery, I intend to buy only one and run only one battery and have the space on the passenger side of the truck free for something else, as I seem to have no problem running on one three year old GM battery I assume that one big optima battery should be up to the task. Would a red top or a yellow be better?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know Costco carries them, You would need the starting type not the deep cycle. The deep cycle would get damaged by starting since they are designed to slowly discharge for a long time vs providing high amperage in short bursts.

I don't know if I would reccomend going with only 1 battery though. I have already had to replace my batteries because they would not start the truck if it sat overnight. Unless You live in an area that does not require glow plugs or gets too hot because cranking amps are also needed when it is hot, I'd still put in 2 batteries.

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like this:

Looks good in red:

I upgraded to Optimas when I installed my second alternator (thanks dmaxallitech!) I got mine from Autozone.

Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sam's Club carries a Champion Battery that is similar to the Optima design (and cheaper). Not sure if they are as good though.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Banned
394 Posts
there all way high on those batteries........ebay !!!!!! i got 2 yellow tops for 145 each with free shipping......some guy on there has a ebay store and thats about all he sells....good guy though...he's honest....i first bought one from auto zone and noticed the date code on the side and it was over a year old sitting on the shelf....took it back, orded his and saved 40 bucks each and it was made a month before i recieced it...

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I wouldn't run my diesel on only one battery. Don't forget the injection system is a big power monger. You'll be loading up the one battery continuosly.... shortening it's life.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoot,

As long as the voltmeter is over 13 or so then your running on the alternator aren't you? The battery is an accumulator, only really used at idle and of course for starting. I think that down south here 980 cranking amps is more than sufficent. If I live where you do then I wouldn't try one batt. either

·
Registered
211 Posts
What is the probability of GM putting two batteries in a vehicle when they could get by with using one? About 0.1% ….. or less!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Professor said:
<What is the probability of GM putting two batteries in a vehicle when they could get by with using one? About 0.1% ….. or less!
a64pilot...... there is no comeback for that one

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The red top carried by Costco is a lower CCA version ~ chk it out first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know what the CCA rating is on red top Optimas at Costco, but they are $99.00. At least that's the price in my neck of the woods.

Merry Christmas,

Tim

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
1* said:
I don't know what the CCA rating is on red top Optimas at Costco, but they are $99.00. At least that's the price in my neck of the woods.

Merry Christmas,

Tim

I know ~ I went thru the cost/benefit agony recently also. In the end, decided to go w/the redtops w/slightly larger capacity than OEM @ the best price I could find. Wound up getting a couple of redtops from CEI in sacramento. True, cost a bit more than COSTCO but, feel I did the best thing for my purposes. Me be happy ~ but the biggest plus is no concern w/leakage on my new truck
The OEMs are in cases and complement our rv power now so its not a complete loss.I did buy an exide orbital on a $99 sale once and don't have the feeling of confidence of the Optimals ~ seems to deplete quickly. Probably my imagination I suppose. Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have been using the yellow top optimas. Never had any problems with them. They seem to recover better after being drained, from leaving the lights or radio on.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I don't know how they are listed but there are "2" kinds of red top Optima's. One is shorter and has a slightly different top. I think the CCA are lower or the run time is lower? There seems to be a 20.oo difference in price between these Red Tops. However, I would go with the yellow. I have "totally" drained a yellow top VIA~ Dodge, da-gumm wire shorts from the factory! I don't know when the battery died but it took a charge after a week to a month of being flat! The Dodge/Cummins was cranked every thirty days for 5 months until I sold the POS.-- I will say the Engine and drivetrain were #1 but the rest of the truck was just garbage, hence...the shorting problem and dead battery.

Burner--------->

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The local O"reilly's sold Me two for $200 so I went with the Red tops. The truck will work down south with one battery, it did for about a week at least maybe longer. Agreed it couldn't work everywhere GM sells trucks (like Alaska), but I'm sure it would work down here. Life is gentle down south on batteries. I will usually get at least 5 years on a Walmart batt. That's what irritated me that the Delco Batt. didn't go even three years. That and the failure mode of leaking acid all over the place
. I'll get over it as long as my injectors hold in there.

Guess I'd better get rid of the one in the Wife's 02 SS. If it leaks there will be hell to pay.Edited by: a64pilot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts