Diesel Place banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Opti-Lube. C7 is saying OptiLube conducts busniess out of a garage? Is this true? :bounce:
So what? Do you have any idea how much money it costs to run a business and to rent/lease/buy a store front? For a product that sits in auto parts stores, internet and such, having a store front is a total waste of money.

Typical of the majority of companies in the world, made by another we slap our name on it....
So? Are you telling me that Interstate battery's makes their own product? Sears? Exide? Get a grip. Its called smart business, also keeps costs in check.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're right, companies should all work out of residential garages :thumb:

Reactions: Dmax 5th Wheel

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,580 Posts
Typical of the majority of companies in the world, made by another we slap our name on it....
So? Are you telling me that Interstate battery's makes their own product? Sears? Exide? Get a grip. Its called smart business, also keeps costs in check.
Get a grip, don't think I have to times are changing in a worldwide economy, the advertising that goes on is mis-leading if not out right lying about companies and "their" products when in fact it is a long way from the truth. The part/parts or whatever product could have been made in an ISO certified fish factory in B** F****K China.....
-
-

-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/ISO_9001_in_Tsukiji.jpg
-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Opti-Lube is a real stand-up company

Wanted to tell you guys about my personal experience with customer service at Opti-Lube. In mid December, I ordered a 5 gallon pail of additive from them and received it in a few days. I hadn't opened it because I'm still using out of my old supply. In the meantime, I found this thread, contacted them about it, wondering if they had a cutoff date beyond which they knew there was no contamination. They said they doubted if my pail was contaminated but were willing to replace it anyway, and provide a UPS label for me to ship mine back. Well, they were true to their word, however, UPS somehow damaged the replacement pail and I assume made a mess of their shipping docks. I discovered that by checking the tracking info for the shipment. Contacted Opti-lube again, they said no problem, they would try again. After two days I hadn't received a tracking number for the latest shipment, so was about to inquire on it when my doorbell rang. There stood a nice guy from Opti-lube with my replacement pail of additive. I live in Las Vegas and Opti-Lube is in Orem, UT., about a 400 mile trip. So I'm sure he must have had some reason to come to Vegas other than to deliver my additive, but still, that is service way beyond the call of duty. Just thought everyone should hear about it. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Get a grip, don't think I have to times are changing in a worldwide economy, the advertising that goes on is mis-leading if not out right lying about companies and "their" products when in fact it is a long way from the truth. The part/parts or whatever product could have been made in an ISO certified fish factory in B** F****K China.....
-
-

-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/ISO_9001_in_Tsukiji.jpg
-
What does getting a grip have to do with wasting money on a store front to please a few people who don't understand business?

Reactions: Kryptonight

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Well, they were true to their word, however, UPS somehow damaged the replacement pail and I assume made a mess of their shipping docks.
:hehe::hehe:

I bet the UPS guys were like, hey, watch this, lets throw the pail around, :eek:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
:hehe::hehe:

I bet the UPS guys were like, hey, watch this, lets throw the pail around, :eek:
True statement.....I worked at UPS for 7 years, and it seems it was a goal on how much product they can destroy.

Reactions: turbovanman

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
UPS- United Parcel Smashers, :hehe:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Wanted to tell you guys about my personal experience with customer service at Opti-Lube. In mid December, I ordered a 5 gallon pail of additive from them and received it in a few days. I hadn't opened it because I'm still using out of my old supply. In the meantime, I found this thread, contacted them about it, wondering if they had a cutoff date beyond which they knew there was no contamination. They said they doubted if my pail was contaminated but were willing to replace it anyway, and provide a UPS label for me to ship mine back. Well, they were true to their word, however, UPS somehow damaged the replacement pail and I assume made a mess of their shipping docks. I discovered that by checking the tracking info for the shipment. Contacted Opti-lube again, they said no problem, they would try again. After two days I hadn't received a tracking number for the latest shipment, so was about to inquire on it when my doorbell rang. There stood a nice guy from Opti-lube with my replacement pail of additive. I live in Las Vegas and Opti-Lube is in Orem, UT., about a 400 mile trip. So I'm sure he must have had some reason to come to Vegas other than to deliver my additive, but still, that is service way beyond the call of duty. Just thought everyone should hear about it. :thumb:
I thought I read somewhere that Opti-Lube switched to Fed Ex due to the issues they had with UPS. I wonder if they went back to UPS?

Could you double check and let me know who shipped it again? Seems odd.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Opti-Lube switched to Fed Ex due to the issues they had with UPS. I wonder if they went back to UPS?

Could you double check and let me know who shipped it again? Seems odd.
Actually, when I ordered, the original shipment came via FEDEX. I think they shipped the replacement via UPS because they supplied a UPS pre-paid return label for me to ship the original one back. But they way things worked out I didn't need the label, I just gave the old pail to the guy who showed up at my door.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Performance Parts, Accessories and Gear for Diesel and Gas Trucks, SUV's, Cars, RV's, and Motorcycles - Speed House Speedhouse is a local distributor in the Las Vegas area for Opti-Lube. I order in the 5 gallon buckets to save a few bucks. No contamination in the product that I received...

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
What Opti-lube product are you using? Just curious as I'm also in Vegas and just use the Summer Additive for the lube qualities to the fuel (3000:1) since our trucks ('06 LBZ) were never designed for ULSD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What Opti-lube product are you using? Just curious as I'm also in Vegas and just use the Summer Additive for the lube qualities to the fuel (3000:1) since our trucks ('06 LBZ) were never designed for ULSD.
I'm using the XL just for lube. Never thought I had any need for any other additive qualities. We have four trucks that share the 5 gallon pail. Only one is mine - the others are friends and relatives. My nephew and I double dose ours, the other two use the standard dose. We still have trouble getting through 5 gallons in a reasonable time. If you want to try it, I can give you a full gallon jug with a pump and an empty 16 oz bottle for $40. To the mods - I'm not in business here, just offering to share additive and cost. I'm way in the northwest part of the valley. PM me if you're interested.

Reactions: callie454

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I'm using the XL just for lube. Never thought I had any need for any other additive qualities. We have four trucks that share the 5 gallon pail. Only one is mine - the others are friends and relatives. My nephew and I double dose ours, the other two use the standard dose. We still have trouble getting through 5 gallons in a reasonable time. If you want to try it, I can give you a full gallon jug with a pump and an empty 16 oz bottle for $40. To the mods - I'm not in business here, just offering to share additive and cost. I'm way in the northwest part of the valley. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks, but I'm good. Like you I just wanted the additional lube. I really don't think we should be running ULSD, but it's the law - :shake:

I picked Opti-Lube Summer Additive because of it's test results in the lubricity chart posted somewhere on this website. I don't recall what the XL offered, but was happy enough with the Summer stuff's benefits to price ratio.

I'm also way up in the Northwest. I can see Paiute Golf Course from my porch. (sara palin ref.)

·
Registered
9,970 Posts

·
2,580 Posts
The 2006 LBZ is borderline, ULSD was mandated for use in 2007 and later and required all stations to be in compliance by December 1, 2010 in the US, it is stated to be safe for older diesels, that remains an unknown depending on what year your truck is....

The manufacturers are versed at least 5 years prior to the changes going into effect, during those years we are an experiment so to speak, or a continual experiment. With some specific searches you can find the info as it is not readily popped up on a google search...

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
The 2006 LBZ is borderline, ULSD was mandated for use in 2007 and later and required all stations to in compliance 2010, it is stated to be safe for older diesels, that remains an unknown depending on what year your truck is....

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel
^^^ 'zackly!

While our '06 Duramax' "were" designed for Low Sulfur, they were not designed for Ultra Low. Just as neither is the pre-2007 heavy construction equipment that is now also required to run ULSD. I'm referring to a known concern that ULSD lacks the same lubricating qualities of LSD. Like when leaded gas was universally mandated - even for those engines that were designed to take advantage of the cooling qualities of leaded gas. And why lead is still in aviation gas. Biodiesel mixes that are becoming mandated have their own set of issues as well.

Are all these issues enough to lose sleep over? Probably not. But nonetheless, there is cause for "concern" for those with engines that are forced to run on fuels they were not "designed" to run on. In our case, pre-2007 diesels.

Of course I'm sure everyone has their own opinion and I am sure I am not alone in mine.

·
2,580 Posts
^^^ 'zackly!

While our '06 Duramax' "were" designed for Low Sulfur, they were not designed for Ultra Low. Just as neither is the pre-2007 heavy construction equipment that is now also required to run ULSD. I'm referring to a known concern that ULSD lacks the same lubricating qualities of LSD. Like when leaded gas was universally mandated - even for those engines that were designed to take advantage of the cooling qualities of leaded gas. And why lead is still in aviation gas. Biodiesel mixes that are becoming mandated have their own set of issues as well.

Are all these issues enough to lose sleep over? Probably not. But nonetheless, there is cause for "concern" for those with engines that are forced to run on fuels they were not "designed" to run on. In our case, pre-2007 diesels.

Of course I'm sure everyone has their own opinion and I am sure I am not alone in mine.
To be on the safe side for me I use a lubricant/treatment, I used Opti-Lube but the damn stuff stunk so bad I switched to Amsoil and use just the minimum required sometimes just a bit more...

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
To be on the safe side for me I use a lubricant/treatment, I used Opti-Lube but the damn stuff stunk so bad I switched to Amsoil and use just the minimum required sometimes just a bit more...
Cool! That's why I use the Opti-Lube Summer Blend. Also, let me correct something I posted earlier, but can't seem to edit it now.

I do not know what date ULSD was mandated for construction equipment. It was probably later than the 2007 I posted about. 2010 I'm thinking. But either way, the fact is that it is mandated now and all that construction equipment that was made before the mandate was not made to run it. Just like my truck. Yay!

Oh and hey, just to be clear. I did a ton of reading over the years on the potential issues with ULSD vs. LSD (injector problems, leaking seals, etc.), adding biodiesel (moisture issues, algae growth, etc.) , additives and so on. It has been years. I do not pretend to be conducting tests of my own and what not. I just read and read and read until I concluded that it was probably a good idea to add a little extra lube to my fuel. An ounce and a half of Opti at fill up lets me rest easy. To each their own.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.