Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna be getting ready to buy a new (used) truck. I tow about 4000 lbs once a month. I hate how the front ends look on the 03 & up, but am not against getting one. Used diesel prices dont seem much higher than gassers, so this has me thinking about the dmax. I've had 3 3/4 ton subs with the 6.0L & it was ok but not great. My bud has an 04 dodge with a hemi & Ive used it to tow a little bit & I really think if i had my choice between a 6.0 & the hemi I'd probably do a hemi. It just towed real nice. I would appreciate an honest answer, do you think I should get a dmax or a gasser. If dmax, then I want a good one. My cousin has an 03 dmax & has had a lot of work done to it. Its all been under warranty though so that is good. I'm not familiar with the extended warranties & such that gm has so graciously given out so a little insite there will be helpful. I do HVAC for a living so I totally understand the rule that everything made buy man will fail at some point LOL. Just like in my trade though, I know what is better than others. So Im asking the experts on the dmax. :exactly: Thanks Todd

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I think that you would be happy with an 04 or newer truck, I have not had any issues with mine other than normal warranty stuff, fixing rattles and misc stuff, no motor issues with the exception of the thermostat at this time. Otherwise I am happy with mine and it tows real nice. I would look for an 04 with low miles or purchase a new truck, incentives are great right now and I think that you could find a good deal with some searching. Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the gm discount. Thats why I have had so many new chevys. I bought a new home & had to sell my sub. Now Im probably looking for a needle i the hay stack. A good used not abused truck. Hell I'd get a dodge or a ford but there auto trannies suck. Although for what im really gonna tow, a gasser would be fine. I would just rather have a diesel though.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Well, with a diesel you'll never wonder if it can tow it or not, and if you keep it for a long time the diesel will last, if you turn vehicles around fairly soon the diesel has a higher resale value.
JP

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should I look out for anything in particular. Is one year better than the other. The most modding I will do will be a hypertech & exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts