Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to do a trans fluid change/flush...

I am considering Amsoil torque guard...

Or maybe Lucus semi-synthetic...

I guess I could always just put in dexron III, but it would be nice to go with a synthetic and be done with it for about 100,000 miles...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The Torque Drive is a good fluid. Dex 6 is the standard now, which would be the Universal ATF, but as long as dex 3's are still available, they can sure be used.
If doing it, go full synthetic and not a semi.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
schaeffers atf is awsome...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
schaeffers, never heard of it, is it synthetic?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What ever you do use the TES-295 fluids. Torque Drive is one and of course Transynd is another and yet there are more. Look back a few pages and I think there was a thread that listed them all.

At the end of the day, I found Torque Drive the easist to find and cheaper then Transynd. I called one Allison dealer and asked him if he had Transynd and he said what is that, Yikes!

On the issue of having it for 100,000 miles that is based on the service level. If you tow a lot I would do pan drains at 25K or 50K .

·
Registered
824 Posts
I believe Mobil 1 now also has a TES-295 tranny fluid. You can also check the Allison website too.

My last change with with Transynd...use the remaining Transynd to change out my transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was shopping locally yesterday, since I am changing transmission fluid in my racecar too. It has a T-400, getting the dextron III or it's replacement. I came up empty handed looking for synthetic transmissioin fluid for the allison. ...

Looks like I will have to order some synthetic fluid for the allison online...

Does anyone know how much fluid I will need if I drop the pan to get it completly empty, then do the "hoot flush", with the stock pan reinstalled?

Will three gallons do the job?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
schaeffers is a fully synthetic and some are a synthetic blend..all the tests i have seen no one even comes close...i picked up 2.5 mpg changing the oil... and 1 more mpg changing the trans. oil

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had Amsoil Atf and lots of slipping when I did...Switched to Transsynd and wow it like having a new transmission.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
What ever you do use the TES-295 fluids. Torque Drive is one and of course Transynd is another and yet there are more. Look back a few pages and I think there was a thread that listed them all.

At the end of the day, I found Torque Drive the easist to find and cheaper then Transynd. . .
Sorry to be so dense, but am I missing something?
When I scan the various links to Allison-approved fluids, I can't find Amsoil or TorqueDrive listed anywhere.

Looks like Allison's TES-295 approvals includes only BP, Castrol (TranSynd) and ExxonMobil (plus International and Cognis ??)
They also have a TES-389 list (not defined??) that adds Chevron and Shell, but drops ExxonMobil.
Is anyone well-versed on this topic who might wish to clarify?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That's correct. AMSOIL did not pay to get on the approved list. It meets the specs, but won't show on their list. Now if you ask GM, they'll tell you to put a dex 6 product in. You're not required to use a "list" product as long as it meets specs. Only time you need to use them is if you purchase the Allison extended warranty on the tranny.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found a Allison dealer locally, bought some transynd for $30 a gallon...

Ended up using 4 gallons and 1 quart, used the hoot method to flush the old...

I feel better after putting allisons recomended fluid in, plus I can just drain the pan and spin on next time, years from now...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just put about 500 miles on it since the switch to transynd...

It shifts smoother, no doubt. Its always been an awkward shifting transmission, so this is good news...

Trans temps were cool @ 140 all day long on the freeway...

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's correct. AMSOIL did not pay to get on the approved list. It meets the specs, but won't show on their list. Now if you ask GM, they'll tell you to put a dex 6 product in. You're not required to use a "list" product as long as it meets specs. Only time you need to use them is if you purchase the Allison extended warranty on the tranny.
Heath,
This is something I have always wondered. How come AMSOIL does not get on the approved lists. I think they would at least double their sales if they were an approved oil by GM. What if something goes wrong with the engine, tranny, rearend, etc.? Does GM have to warranty your vehicle because you were not using "approved" fluids? This might be a touchy subject with GM.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Cuffnup - on page one of this thread you say you picked up 3.5 mpg by using synthetics? Not to be rude, but I am having a hard time believing that. Just what fluids are you using now, and what were you using then??????

·
Registered
140 Posts
axehammer, what is the hoot method for flushing the transmission, can you explain it?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts