Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at different options for upgrading from my current stock turbo inlet on a 2005 LLY.

Any opinions or other threads you guys can point me to?

I do often tow. What kind of changes should I notice?

Thanks

NH

·
Registered
18 Posts
LBZ mouthpiece has served me well for over 10 years now. It's not shiny but it's not expensive either. A little searching should tell you all you need to know. Likewise, the stock airbox is more than adequate unless you're looking to make over 500HP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So maybe I need to "sharpen" up my question a little bit.

For a guy like me that is going to use my truck normally (tow horses and haul things in the bed), what benefit will I notice from improving the "mouthpiece".

Thanks

NH

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are probably dozens of writeups on the poorly designed LLY stock mp. Causes overheating, early head gasket failure, limited towing ability, etc. Do some searching for "LLY mouthpiece" and you will find info like this:

·
Registered
95 Posts
ALLY Cat,

Any turbo mouthpiece other than the original GM one will be a huge improvement. When you visually see the original beside an upgraded unit, the difference in the interior diameter shouts about the benefits it can make. Much less chance of overheating during long, heavy hauls in hot weather.

I got lucky with mine, when a local guy put an AFE one on Craigslist for half price because he was trading in his old LLY to purchase a newer GMC dually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I paid $67 for the LBZ, 10 years ago nobody made an aftermarket mp setup that I know of. AFE is a lot cleaner, but you're right, anything but the original crap will be an improvement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quicker spool up. Less over heating. Just all around the best upgrade for the money.

If you go full LBZ, you need tuning for the increased volume of airflow the MAF sees.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a newbie and have purchased a S&B turbo inlet. I am in the process of installing it and would like to know the effect of installing the supplied plug in the EGR inlet to the new turbo inlet. Would this delete the EGR function? and what would be the results of this?
I don't believe this can be all that is required to do an EGR delete.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The 2 extra ports in a turbo inlet duct ("mouthpiece") are for (1) the resonator and (2) PCV.(not EGR). Not using the resonator just make it louder. Not using the PCV just causes more smog.

Now, PCV oil mist mixed with EGR particulates in the intake manifold does cause a thick goo to build up and restrict air intake, so that's a bad thing. If you don't have smog tests, you could consider an EGR blocker plate (might require a "finger stick" to prevent CEL and codes) or a full EGR delete (sorry, I don't know details about those, but there are issues you need to know about before going this route).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2 extra ports in a turbo inlet duct ("mouthpiece") are for (1) the resonator and (2) PCV.(not EGR). Not using the resonator just make it louder. Not using the PCV just causes more smog.

Now, PCV oil mist mixed with EGR particulates in the intake manifold does cause a thick goo to build up and restrict air intake, so that's a bad thing. If you don't have smog tests, you could consider an EGR blocker plate (might require a "finger stick" to prevent CEL and codes) or a full EGR delete (sorry, I don't know details about those, but there are issues you need to know about before going this route).
Thanks jake. I have installed the turbo inlet. I will let the pcv delete go for now.
p.s. I looked up the price of the pcv hose assembly and could not believe it. If we did not love our diesels so much, they would go extinct from dealer part overpricing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts