Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals they day has come. I'm gonna order my lift kit friday. What are yall's opinion on the RCD 6" kit. I'm pretty sure it's the kit I want. If my mind serves me correctly the RCD is a spindle style lift kit. Therefore, it want increase my track with as much as the others. my only concern is price. I'm hoping the guy that I order it from can get me a good price on it. I've seen if for like 1700 on the internet. I hope I can get it a little cheaper then that. If I can't then my next option would be the tuff country, and then if all else fells I will get the fabtech. just don't want the add track with. I am also going to run an 18" wheel. most likely the weld evo velocity 8. and probably nitto terra grappler tires. opinion and suggestion would be great. thanks

-Chad-

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Go for it and do whatever you think will make you happy. I use to say the bigger the better but now that I have to use my truck for stuff I prefer to keep it as close to stock as possible but that does mean that it will not be FAST....

·
Registered
457 Posts
allstok03Dmax the RCD kit will increase the track width just as much as Rancho or Fabtech. They are all the same so if you are looking for a kit that does not increase the track width RCD is not an option. Price is a consideration for just about everyone buying a lift however for a couple $$$ more you could pick up a CST kit. They are top notch and there are a few guys on the forum here that run CST and will vouch for what I said. Check out their website for further info and if your interested email [email protected], tell him I sent you and he will help you out.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Chad I have researched this topic to death and I have a few pointers for ya. I went with the RCD kit also , don't have a truck to put it on but thats a different story. I found the best price was through National Tire and Wheel 1-800-847-3287, $1595 shipped, they paid for the shipping so it was real reasnable. Also if your wanting the Velocity 8's you will probably have to go with the Velocity XT's they are basicly the same but they have the correct backspace you will need. I would definitly check this out b/c all the info I found stated that in a 17 in wheel the bs for the 8's was like 5.14 and the XT's was 4.5 which is what you'll need with the RCD kit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks everybody for your help I really appriciate it.

Professer: thanks for the link. I have been referring back to that link from afp1 for a couple of days now. and thanks for the pic.

Y2kboti:I'm not an expert by all means. I'm just going by what afp1 says. he said that the tuff country and the RCD only changes the track width about a .5 inch on each side . and the Fabtech, skyjacker and another increases the track width about 1.5 inches on each side of the the truck. the truck has a 65 in track up front and a 66 in the rear so the kits that only increase .5 would help keep the wider tires I will be runnin from sprayin the side of my truck as bad. thanks for the help. I will see if the store I am going thru carries cst lifts and compare there prices. I really like there kits.

9W3-HD: thanks for your help. If National tire and wheel can sell it for 1595 then the store I'm going to buy it from should be able to get it in the price range that i'm looking for. I also though that I was probably going to have to go with XT to get the right back spacing, but I wasn't for sure. So, thank for the help on that.

My next question the the power junkies is. will there be any drivetrain issues that I will have to worry about. I have the edge/att, exhaust, intake as of right now. but I plan on doing the tranny upgrade this summer and addin another programer. Thanks again everyone and for those that are going to thunder at muncie or going to be at beach bend may 1st. I'll see ya there.

-Chad-Edited by: allstok03Dmax

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Now that have the Rancho 4" kit, I think the 1.5" increase in track width has more plusses than minuses. While the look isn't exactly what I like, the added track width makes the truck very stable. I think it handles better now than it did before the lift.

BTW, I added pics to the "Racho 4" thread, and I have edited my "Lift Kit Summary" Thread with the info I have learned since installing my Rancho lift.

Here is a pic.

Edited by: afp1

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
have you thought about pro comp ? does not seem to be a favorite, but it does not increase track width much at all. there have been a couple of members on another forum that really like them

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Increasing track witdth is a plus.

The Pro-Comp is not considered a very durable kit. I'm sure it's fine for street use and mild offroad, but it seems to be questionable for heavier off road use.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I vote CST!!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
allstok03Dmax said:
Y2kboti:I'm not an expert by all means. I'm just going by what afp1 says. he said that the tuff country and the RCD only changes the track width about a .5 inch on each side . and the Fabtech, skyjacker and another increases the track width about 1.5 inches on each side of the the truck. the truck has a 65 in track up front and a 66 in the rear so the kits that only increase .5 would help keep the wider tires I will be runnin from sprayin the side of my truck as bad. thanks for the help. I will see if the store I am going thru carries cst lifts and compare there prices. I really like there kits.
Let me first say I stand corrected. It appears as though a couple of the spindle lifts that he mentioned do not extend the track width as much as certain kits but w/ that said there is one thing that all spindle lifts have in common and my biggest problem with them. They do not lower the front differential the same amount as the lower control arms therefore your CV angles are automatically increased. Atleast w/ a true 6" kit(such as Superlift or CST) you can crank the torsion bars and net 8" of total lift w/ semi decent CV angles. Do the same to a spindle lift and more than likely the will bind and break off-road. Most shops do not carry CST, if your shop happens to great if not give Jeff a hollar. Edited by: y2kboti

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks very much guys. I was going to go with a super lift at first but the guy that is installin the lift said he has had some fitment issues on my style truck. he says that if it was any other truck it was be is #1 recommendation but on the HD's it has some fitment issues.

My biggest issues is not braking any axles or driveshaft because of bad angles. if the kit that drop the whole frontend a true six have less severe cv angles. then that something to thank about, because I do plan on addin a little more power this summer to the truck so like someone stated the add track with help handling so I am all confused again. THANKS ALOT EVERYONE.
Just kiddin. thanks for everyone time and help. see yall later.

-Chad-

·
Registered
211 Posts
allstok03Dmax said:
ok thanks very much guys. I was going to go with a super lift at first but the guy that is installin the lift said he has had some fitment issues on my style truck. he says that if it was any other truck it was be is #1 recommendation but on the HD's it has some fitment issues.

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of fitment issues he has seen with the Super Lift on HD trucks. The truck above has a SuperLift. There wasn't any problems with the install. The alignment shop was very pleased with the ease of alignment and had good things to say aboutthe lift in general as well. Not trying to promote the SL but I am surprised by your installers comments.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a question for you guys that are lifting your trucks. What are going to do if you ever have to go to the dealer for tranny work? They won't work on it if it does have the original size tire. If you put the 245's back on for a dealer visit with a lift, are they still going to serivce the vehicle or will they give you crap and not help you? I would love a lift but not with the BS the dealer will give out. Just curious what you will do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only have 6000 left on my warranty, but the salesman I bought my truck from happens to be a good friend of mine. so, i don't have to put up with all that mumbo jumbo crap that some of the dealer ships put people thru.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at the dealer ship I got my truck from. they are putting like 31" all terrian and mud terrians on some if the 4x4.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and as far as the fitment thing goes with the super lift. I think it could of be an issolated thing. The guy who is installing my lift has been doing lifts for 15-20 years and does about 10 truck a week on average. If I remember correctly he didn't like the way some of the mounts on the transfer case or somethin along those lines. I'm not sure so don't quote me on it. He said it not super lift in general it just the HD truck that he didn't like the fitment.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
FWIW a buddy of mine has the Pro Comp 6" lift on his HD. He beats the sh!t outta it on the trails. Its the reason I ordered one for my D/A. A lot of parts I agree, but very detailed instructions. He's running 37" BFG MT's as I will after seeing that the tires clear alright.

Just my $.02

Nick

1 - 20 of 71 Posts