Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ooooooops.....and just imagine...at almost double the posted speed on the trailer the axles stayed under it.....whats up with the u-haul trailers having that speed posted on them....is it purly a liability thing where they don't want novice trailer pullers running down the highway and full speed...or can their trailers really not sustain highway speeds for a long duration....seems to me it would be more dangerous going 20-30 mph slower than everyone else on the road...what do you guys think...and yeah...camera phone pic of the mirror at 80...gotta love it

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Everytime I pull one of those trailers, that 45mph sticker always gets covered by something, somehow... Out of sight, out of mind. Pulled one of those things 750 miles at 75mph without issue...

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i should have done that.....its aweful....nothing worse than looking in your mirrors and seeing that while your doing 80....damn u-haul conscience...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Maybe the 45mph rating is designed for a 4cyl K-car pulling it ?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now thats a thought

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Quick 6 Racing;1601852; said:
Maybe the 45mph rating is designed for a 4cyl K-car pulling it ?
LMAO would it even reach 45mph empty towing that thing? Or even empty? :)

I read the post and saw the first pic with a white car in the background and thought you had gotten pulled over...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
IDK, but I pulled one of those from San Fransisco to Reno at 80+ loaded with about 1000 lbs and it was fine.

I would assume that they have that posted for newbs that have never pulled a trailer.

Bentley

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I am guilty of the same I pulled one of their car haulers at 75 with a Isuzu rodeo on 35"s pulled great.

Whats worse is Kalifornias 55 Mph limit while towing a trailer The duramax is meant to tow 55 is rediculous

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always figured it was for liability reasons, if something happens Uhaul can always say "you were told not to go over 45, it your own fault".

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
BEERME;1602616; said:
I always figured it was for liability reasons, if something happens Uhaul can always say "you were told not to go over 45, it your own fault".
Bingo :)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've pulled U-hauls long distances at "highway speeds" (which IS NOT 45mph!) on many many occasions.

·
Registered
768 Posts
the trailer and axles and tires will hold highway speed the only reason it states that is so the rental company can cover there tail...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I pulled one loaded with about 2500lbs when I got out of the army a few months back. I was doing about 85 the whole way from Colorado Springs, CO to Miami, FL. about 2500 miles, and that trailer sign kept telling me to slow down, and for some reason it just doesnt feel right. Those things are tested and the double axel one I had came with hydraulic brakes and you couldnt even notice when you where stopping that you are pulling like 6000lbs.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
At least if you stop on the side of the road for a pee brake you have something to aim at!!:p::p:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haulin-rv;1603365; said:
at least if you stop on the side of the road for a pee brake you have something to aim at!!:p::p:
lol...i don't know about you...but usually when i pee on the side of the road i pee on the passenger side of the truck....

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Embarassed about something? :p:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
ya that sticker is just there for insurance policies my buddy rents uhauls all day and i had to ask him once why it was there and he told be about that it saved him and his dad once they didn't make sure the person knew how to tow a trailer and overloaded it ended up braking the axles and flipping the truck in the process that little sign is the only thing that saved them the money of getting a lawyer and proving the guy had it over loaded the police report stated he was doing 70 mph down a back road is south Texas

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Git r done.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
according to their website the "recommended maximum speed" for all trailers is 45 MPH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts