Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to have a handset
installed to run in conjunction with the OnStar system?
I realise that the hands off system can be used whilst
driving, but it is a pain to have to verbally dial a
number using the speech recognition system. Since I need
to call many different and new numbers each day, my
OnStar is not being used.It is easier to use my hand
held cell phone.
Also, can the GPS feature be brought out and displayed?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
What year is your triuck? If 02 or older, yes to the GPS. Not likely on the handset. Although again it looks like a stadard Motorola 3 watt phone box so maybe you might be able to plug a handset in.

03 is totally different and that's what I have so I can't help you much. Unless you want to drive to Manitoba

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe someone can explain some things about ONSTAR and how people want to use its components without paying Onstars annual fees.
<UL>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>I'd like to use the handsfree mick and speakers w/ my cell phone. I tried a cheap $60.00 attachment that worked through the radio- poor quality. I thought the Onstar phone system (to tough to "voice dial")was a satellite phone. Not much in common with a cell phone. The price is reasonable for satellite phone as in "it works everywhere on the planet" Maybe I'm misinformed.</DIV></LI>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>The GPS: for $100.00(on sale) you can get Delorme's Earthmate GPS and plug it in to your laptop. Use it in all your vehicles. no need to screw up or with the onstar system. The system will still be there if you need it. I'll bet that even if you don't pay the fee for Onstar, If your airbags deploy or if you have a real emergency , I'll bet they will call for help and give your location to emergency personel.</DIV></LI>
<LI>
<DIV align=left> </DIV></LI>[/list]

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Duallyvette said:
I'll bet they will call for help and give your location to emergency personel.
<LI>
<DIV align=left> </DIV></LI>

I'll bet they don't
For the system to work they need to have a cellular phone subscription. Now they likely have a pretty decent rate because of the qty they sell. It still likely costs them $100 a year at least to have a phone # assigned to your truck. I guarantee that when you stop paying your onstar subsciption, they cancel your onstar phone #.

I don't know if you follow me or not but basically, no pay, no onstar.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
On star is not a satellite phone. It uses GPS as part of its system but they phone part of it IE anytime you talk to anyone, is don't through the cellular network. Not sat phone! No cell service, no onstar.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't even think it's that great of a cell phone. Whenever I'm at a campground and I don't have good cell phone service (i.e. not enough to make a connection but I do get a service name), I press the On-Star button to purchase some minutes. I have never been able to connect in such situations. Then when driving, my cell phone starts working before I can connect to OnStar. I pretty much plan to let my service expire. It's just not worth it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Onstar is a great product. I have it on my 2001 Tahoe, but let it expire. My cell service is more mobile, although lacks some features of Onstar, but I can use it with my motorcycle, in the camper, motel room, etc. I also let it expire on my 2001 Silverado. Now I've got it again on the 2003 Silverado. I never could get the phone to dial right through the voice commands. It was always simpler to use the cell phone. I will more than likely let it expire on the 2003 Silverado too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont think I ever used it once on my '02. On the '04 I dont even know if its turned on or not. i wish they would just take that crud out and lower the price or out a real fuel filter in or better yet add somr HP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine actually seems to outperform my handheld cell phone. I assume it is running at the full 3 watt max that vehicle mounted systems can run, while the handheld is limited to something like a 1/2 watt (???). I was able to pick up a signal with Onstar while fishing on the San Juan River in Northern NM a few weeks ago (in the bottom of a fairly good canyon...not quite the "middle of nowhere", but you can see it from there!). Of the three of us there, none of us were able to get a signal with our handheld cellphones.

As for the Onstar working without the cell phone number being assigned. It absolutely does! It took Onstar 3 weeks to get me a cell phone number assigned, but I was able to call them everyday on it (using blue Onstar button) to chew their a$$!!! From this I would guess it works with or without a number being assigned.

·
Registered
170 Posts
After I bought my CC Jan 02, I was discussing the onstar system with a man I was doing some business with. He said he rarely used his onstar. He said he got directions from them a few times when he was out of town. He said he never paid for the service. The onstar operator would come on , ask how they could help, informed him that he didn't have a paid up subscription, still gave him directions and made a pitch for activating a subscription. I also bumped the red cross button in my 2000 Buick (I bought used for my 78 yr old mother-Onstar never activated) Onstar responded and ask if I needed emergency assistance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine isn't paid right now but when I was on my free year and free minutes the thing worked everytime I tried to make a call.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
For those "now and again" calls or directions On Star works fair to well. However, for "every day" use... it sucks. Something as simple as a mute button would be nice. The expence is just not justified. Cell rates that go from 22 to 40 cents a minute! The 200 minute package is cheaper than the 500 minute package, why? Do you own a business and want to use it for business... I do. The problem i have is that "On Star" mostly has the hotels, gas stations and major roads. I have called for business nubers that have been around for 20 to 50 years and they don't have them listed! Tell ya what, ask the folks at On Star to find a landfill. I bet they they'll give you the "Yellow Pages" listing for landfill but never will they give your the "Blue Pages" listing. Heck, just ask for a scrap yard or something in the heavy Industrial area, bet they'll choke. ....... Enough ramping. It just ticks me off that I spend 1,500 buck a year on this service and I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. A nice GPS and cell service can be had for that price. BTW---- the "service" works well for two reasons: No 1... it's "Analog" or plain binary (1's and o's) combination that has about twice the range of Digital, No 2 Yes, it is a 3 watt system. just an FYI--> If your "On Star" was installed after August of 02 you have the "new" 5 system that will accept the digital signal service once modified.

I think On Star needs Two different services or something. I have had everything they offer and the service isn't any faster than stock. I would like to see a Family service and a Business service.

- Enjoy your On Star

Burner------->

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have free time on my ONStar and will have when the contract expires. My dealer neglected to tell me San Antonio OnStar doesen't have a contract with local cellar phone companies so I don't have tele. capability on my OnStar. What a rip off.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wish I could say how mine works but on Star is too busy screwing the pooch to fix the problem. When I got it firstly the dealer never activated it. Then I had to wait a day for a phone number, call back, still no #, call customer service which opens a case and says 3-5 days to fix. 5 Days later still no personal calling. Call back, customer diss service says hang uo and call back asking for technical service, which I do. I get some schmo on the thats talking such BS, ie= well you know your sysystem is working and this is not a part of on star blah bla bla, You didnt pay for its just a little extra service we like to provide etc, Fine SO FIX IT ALREADY
After 10 minutes on hold I get another spiel about some body else is handeling it, they will have to call back, its the local phone company etc etc etc. What do I think of Onstar it SUCKS Just dial 1-800-who-gives-a-sh*t
You couldnt possibly do any worse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In regards to Onstar and Cell Phones in general. ANy cellphone with out service will still call 911. My only question about onstar is will the number recognition still work without service?
(I like my cell phone)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I don't think you can dial at all when you are out of 'units' as they call it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts