Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now I have hit the little phone button on the steering wheel a few times on accident while driving and know the lvoice will come on and say OnStar. However this time was different.

1. I don't think I hit the button. 2. I never got the voice. 3. The Radio said Phone and then it started dialing and would not let me hang up. Well the phone rang about 5 times and then the phone disconnected. Let me add to this I don't use this thing so I have no numbers stored or anything. I know it calls out if your airbag deploys but mine didn't. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I triggered it or what was going on. I should also mention that my son was playing with the aux radio controls in the backseat. Was it something he did?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Here is a PI about this problem.
<H1>OnStar Customer Reports Phantom Phone Calls Without Attempting a Call #PI00372C - (11/11/2002)</H1>

OnStar Customer Reports "Phantom Phone Calls" without Attempting a Call

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms. <A name=ss1-1200631><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1200631&psdid=297&evc=sm#ss1-1200631" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition/Concern:</A></H5>

An owner may report that the OnStar system is attempting and/or completing phone calls which the operator of the vehicle did not initiate.

It is important to know which type of reported "Phantom Phone Call" the operator is reporting. Some phone calls of this nature are considered normal and cannot be addressed other than through education while others may require some remedial action to resolve.

Below are the areas which we have found to contribute to this type of reported calls.

Hardware labeling:

Generation 1 = Dealer installed handset system

Generation 2 = Three button kit/factory installed system - formally referred to as 2.0 system

Generation 3 = Three button factory installed system capable of OnStar Personal Calling (OPC) - formally referred to as 2.6 system

Generation 4 = Three button factory installed system capable of OnStar Personal Calling (OPC) and Memo Record - formally referred to as F1 system

Generation 5 = Three button factory installed system capable of OnStar Personal Calling (OPC), Memo Record and Dual Tone Multi-funcition Tones (DTMF) - UA1 system

Geo MIN = the phone number, geographically assigned, to each OnStar system

Scenario number one: The vehicle/owner may be receiving calls (apparently OPC) at any time. When the customer attempts to answer, there is no one there. In this case (with a Geo MIN), someone is actually dialing the phone number assigned to the OnStar system within the vehicle and hanging up when they hear someone answer the phone unexpectedly. A typical wrong number was dialed. Keep scenario number three below in mind also.

Scenario number two: This may involve a phantom call made to the OnStar call center. We believe the majority of these are due to the addition of the words "OnStar" and "Emergency" to the voice recognition capability on Gen 5 and above systems. The customer may press the white dot button or the steering wheel control button and the system misinterprets a sound or the spoken word as either OnStar or emergency and places a call. This may be caused by either background noise or a cough etc. as well.

Scenario number three: This third area has to do with the behavior of the Gen 4 and Gen 5 OnStar hardware. If the OnStar call center makes an outbound call to the car, it will only ring once in the vehicle before the call is automatically answered by the hardware - called auto-answer (Gen 3 rings indefinitely or until a white dot button press). If the customer presses the white dot button, the system will disconnect the OnStar advisor from the vehicle. In this scenario, the call center would only be calling back if they were disconnected at some point in time.

Scenario number four: Because the button assembly and associated wiring feeds voltage back to the OnStar system based on the amount of voltage drop through each of the buttons, should the return line be partially shorted to voltage, the system could interpret this voltage as a key press. If one of the buttons' voltage is simulated, such as the Blue button, the system will make a phone call just as if the button had been pressed by the operator of the vehicle.

Scenario number five (Gen 2 and 3 only): An outbound call is being made and will likely not complete and result in modem tone screech or fast busy beeping. The button assembly LED may or may not flash. The operator will not be able to end the call by pressing the Call Answer/Call End (DOT) b

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the post

1 - 3 of 3 Posts