Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently developed a strong rotten onion smell in the driver's front wheel well. It is only there after I have been driving. I have also developed a knocking or ticking at idle after the engine warms up.

I have not yet had an oil change, so the smell is not the "oil change smell" I have read about here.

Any idea what the smell might be? Is the tick related? I have also noticed a 2mpg drop in fuel economy, but do not know if that is because of the mixed fuel this time of year.

The truck is a 2003 Duramax 4wd.

Thanks,

Fourbeer

·
Registered
444 Posts
When was the last time you changes your socks?

Sorry. I couldn't resist

Maybe it's a mold smell. Check to see is water is leaking in?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are good ones guys, but seriously, I have heard that this could be "gear oil" or an indication that I have a bad injector.

Anyone know if there is truth to that?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The breather tube for the front axle is on that side, and depending on the lube could be causing a smell. You can look for the breather right around the top shock mount. You could also remove the fill plug for the front diff and see if it has the same odor.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Perhaps you could chk the DS exhaust manifold to see if some kind of fluid is dripping on it.

Also, the suggestion re the front differential is a potential possibility.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
FourBeer said:
Does this mean there could be a problem with the front differential?

Not necessarily ~ its just that its vent is routed over near the front DS wheelwell and seemed to be a good place to chk. Don't suppose it could be a leaking battery. First thot perhaps the hydrobooster is leaking but uncertain if its closed enuff to drip on the manifold/other hot surface. Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patrick,

The tick does sound alot like a sewing machine or typewriter. I hope it is not a sign of bad injectors.

Man I am paranoid.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you checked the front diff fluid level? I know alot of guys got their truck with the diffs low on fluid.

And remember it is only an onion smell.....Be GLAD that it is not a Lemon smell..

Mike

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lonewolf867 said:
Have you checked the front diff fluid level?
Good Point!
Diff fluid has a pungent odor and their have been reports of leaks from the vent cover (large round white or black plastic cover on the drivers side of the front diff).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lonewolf867 and jbplock,

Thanks for the info. I will check the vent cover. It sounds like that is what may be happening here.

Edited by: FourBeer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Let's see it's Febuary 2004, you have a 2003 and have not changed the oil yet. Must be the last of the '03's and you don't drive it much yet. LOL

Don't let all the stuff you read here drive you crazy....it's only about 1% of the trucks that are having some of the problems you read here.

I ran over a skunk once and I would trade that for an onion smell in a heartbeat LOL, been over a year and I think I can still smell that darn skunk. I hosed that wheel well over and over again for weeks....next time I will be better off hitting a tree!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Does the truck have a ZF6, or an Ally in it? I remember the smell of a burning/slipping clutch reminding me off onion/garlic. Of course the last time I drove a manny tranny I was 16, but remember that kind of smell plowing snow.

Sometimes when a motor is new, the curing of the paint etc stayed around for along time when I bought my truck.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts