Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I moved my truck out of it's heated garage (about 45 degrees) to the driveway... had the engine running for about 15 seconds. Outside temp was around 10 degrees with a steady 15 mph wind hitting the passenger side of the truck... I didn't plug in the block heater.

I finished my project in the garage about 5 hours later and went to pull the truck back into the garage. Unfortunately it wouldn't start.

Typically, the engine kicks over almost before I can hear the starter spin but this time it seemed to get a couple cylinders to "almost" fire on each revolution as I was cranking it.

I finally got it running after shutting off the key a few times and letting the glow plugs do their thing. (I waited for the glow plug indicator go out before attempting to start it the first time). At first, I would get a steady idle, but if I applied any throttle the engine would begin to die... until I took my foot off the throttle... then the steady idle would resume.

Not knowing what else to do, I idled the truck into the garage and gave the 1/4 tank of fuel about 3-4 ounces of Power Service anti-gel... it immediately began running smoother under throttle (before the anti-gel made it into the system, I'm sure... maybe it was the warmth of the garage?) so I drove down the road for a mile or so to get the anti-gel mixed in and also into the system.

I went out and fired up the engine this morning, it started fine...

So...

Any ideas what may have caused this one-time (hopefully) issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... and one other thing...

When I finally got the engine going, the DIC said "SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM".

I haven't gotten that message again after restarting a few times...

Is that message related to the hard start?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts