Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Several guys running around in the low 500s with only a SC3, but I bet you have burn your clutches already. And IIRC if you have to replace them you might as well go with the SC4, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dozerboy;1614631; said:
Several guys running around in the low 500s with only a SC3, but I bet you have burn your clutches already. And IIRC if you have to replace them you might as well go with the SC4, but I could be wrong.
Im sure i have sum burn to them.My bullydog stays on Performance now, i ran it on lvl 3 for a week...But i was figuring, i could get a SC 3 for a little over 3 grand installed, i think :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Ya but IIRC the SC3 only comes with the extra clutches so you would have to replace the stock ones too. Thus going with the SC4 it replaces the stock clutches so it’s a better deal. I not 100% on this so maybe a tranny guru will chime in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
SCIII comes with new C-1 through C-4. You won't need C-5 anyway. SCIII will hold the PPE without a problem and the shifts are perfect.

·
Registered
580 Posts
8100 Power;1616288; said:
Thanks for your replys!

If you go with that combo (PPE Hot+2 / SC III) be sure to be saving for tires in the near future. You're going to need them. Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is no more work to install a SCIV that to install an SCIII,it only cost more for the kit.I would never do anything less that a SCIV,why be on the "border line" of your transmissions holding ability?:D

·
Registered
580 Posts
tactransman;1616952; said:
It is no more work to install a SCIV that to install an SCIII,it only cost more for the kit.I would never do anything less that a SCIV,why be on the "border line" of your transmissions holding ability?:D
Who says an SC III is borderline?:eek: It will easily hold twice the stock HP of the LB7. I didn't see a sig. so you must be running a SC IV.:rolleyes: If you know what you're going to do with your truck then there's no reason to buy more than you need. Would you buy a station wagon when all you need is a compact car? When I see 500 RWHP blow a well built SC III apart, I'll buy the IV. Until then I'll just keep hammering this cheap SC III. BTW, if you actually need the SC IV, you probably also need a new cooler, deep pan, transfer case support, and Eric's pump mod just to mention a few. Might want to add that to the additional cost of the kit. Otherwise, you could be building a borderline SC IV.;)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The way i look at it, i'm pretty sure if you need a more than a SC III, you will need major engine mods, Correct? Head studs, bigger turbos, etc...I would be happy with a SC III and maybe a A5000 Turbo, Pleaty for me just b/c it will be a daily driver, and i need it to be on the go reliable!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Southern Bred;1617517; said:
Who says an SC III is borderline?:eek: It will easily hold twice the stock HP of the LB7. I didn't see a sig. so you must be running a SC IV.:rolleyes: If you know what you're going to do with your truck then there's no reason to buy more than you need. Would you buy a station wagon when all you need is a compact car? When I see 500 RWHP blow a well built SC III apart, I'll buy the IV. Until then I'll just keep hammering this cheap SC III. BTW, if you actually need the SC IV, you probably also need a new cooler, deep pan, transfer case support, and Eric's pump mod just to mention a few. Might want to add that to the additional cost of the kit. Otherwise, you could be building a borderline SC IV.;)
WOW! Did I hit a nerve? Sorry Man ,I was just saying that it is no more labor intensive to install a SCIV than a III.When it comes to power it seems like you always want more after you get use to what you got,but you would be afraid to add it if you only had a SCIII.No, you don't have to have a deep pan, better cooler or Eric's pump modification. The bracket would be useful with a SCIII also.:beerchug:

·
Registered
580 Posts
tactransman;1618158; said:
WOW! Did I hit a nerve? Sorry Man ,I was just saying that it is no more labor intensive to install a SCIV than a III.When it comes to power it seems like you always want more after you get use to what you got,but you would be afraid to add it if you only had a SCIII.No, you don't have to have a deep pan, better cooler or Eric's pump modification. The bracket would be useful with a SCIII also.:beerchug:

If you actually need the holding power of the SC IV tranny, you might as well get the extras now because you will need them. As far as wanting more power, when it comes to your daily transportation you have to know where the limits are. However, No you didn't hit a nerve, I just believe that a lot of members are spending extra money for the IV when the III would have been plenty of trans for them and then they have heat problems, etc. that you don't seem to have with the III. Just the nature of the beast. I believe SC put the SC III on the market for the people who know how far they're going to push their truck. For me, 500 RWHP is plenty. For those who want more, the SC IV is waiting for them. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
8100 Power;1617571; said:
The way i look at it, i'm pretty sure if you need a more than a SC III, you will need major engine mods, Correct? Head studs, bigger turbos, etc...I would be happy with a SC III and maybe a A5000 Turbo, Pleaty for me just b/c it will be a daily driver, and i need it to be on the go reliable!!!
I hear ya! I think after Chatting with Southernbred a SC III will be plenty for me!:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good Luck to you guys. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Im with tractransman, if its out im going with the scIV I know my clutches are hurtin, cant even tow up a big hill without it slippin... Also who is ever acctually done with adding power):h

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
All the Trans gurus say to build it as much as you can afford. I'm sure most would be fine with a SC3, but it’s a lot cheaper to over build it the first time then rebuild it a second.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dozerboy;1619323; said:
All the Trans gurus say to build it as much as you can afford. I'm sure most would be fine with a SC3, but it’s a lot cheaper to over build it the first time then rebuild it a second.
Now that is what I was trying to say in a nutshell.:exactly:

·
Registered
580 Posts
dozerboy;1619323; said:
If that's the case, everyone should save up for a SC V or ATS Extreme. $$$$$$$$$$

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.