Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a viair compressor kit from hornblasters.com today. They are dual 480c's. I also picked some some air horns and some airtanks that are 8-10 gallons(guessing here, they are 9x30" cylinders) from a freightliner surplus warehouse. If I can run air tools great, but I really need them to air up tires and blast the horns at the morons! I'm going to put a ballvalve in the cab to actuate them.

I'm planning on mounting the compressors in my protech bed box. Will I need to have some sort of outside air flow available to these 480's? I would imagine so cause this box is sealed pretty well. I don't have much of a clue when it comes to wiring and stuff. If someone could help me with a diagram or something that would be great! Or just show me a similar install?

Here are some of my thoughts.

Can the factory fuse box location be used for something like this? I thought I remembered seeing open spots in there? If so how would I go about using them?

I'd like to have a rocker switch to run the compressors separate from the pressure switch. If there was a leak or something I want to be able to shut them off from the cab.

What size wire should i use? Whatever is in the instructions or upgrade it?
I also want to run some wiring for some backup lights and a power inverter as well. Both off rocker switches again. I can't think of anything else I'd like to run later on down the road suggestions?

I do want to get a 5" inline exhaust brake later, but I'll get the shifter mounted switch for that.

I want this done right and I want it to be safe so don't leave anything out :D

TIA
Edit: I should probably add this is for the CTD in my sig

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx I have ran across his site/blog/tutorial W.E. you wanna call it :D several times now trying to dig up info for my install.

Anyone else seen anything or have a good understanding of the electrical portion of setting something like this up?

·
Registered
459 Posts
RELAY's!!!

Those are the key.

Run from the battery (or the red plastic box) to a fuse then to a relay. The Relay should be activated by the pressure switch on the tank. If you want to be able to shut-off the compressor (in case of leak) you can either plan on lifting the hood and pulling the fuse or put a switch in-between the pressure switch and the relay. Power off the in-cab power to the pressure switch. This way the power is only available to the compressor when the truck is on.

Put a solenoid in to run the air horns. You have to run the power wires anyways and you may as well have a button.

Make sure you pull your air off the top of the tanks for the best (dry) air. Give yourself a drain on the bottom of the tank so you can blow-it-down every once and a while.

How much did the Viair kit cost you?
I've been thinking of putting one on my trailer.

Let me know if you need a hand and I can get you my number.

·
Registered
60 Posts
you'll need this too

I would put in a oil filter. Cheap one from home depot will work. you dont want oil from the compressors getting into the tanks and then into your horns ect. Also if you have the room put in a water seperator as well. It'll keep your tanks from rusting and keep water out of your horns ect.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Viair compressors are oil-less so, no need for an oil filter.

You will get water in your tank though. . . especially when you are near the coast or in wet climates. . . uh. . . like Oregon! ;)

Like I say, pull off the top of the tank for your air and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 months later LOL!

I finally am making some progress with my OBA :rolleyes:
Here are a few pics
Compressor's mounted in bedbox.....went a little nuts on the air intake :D I'm going to build a small 3 sided enclosure to keep junk from coming in contact with those compressor's.

Horns

I'm going to mount this pto cable to the shifter to blow the horns. Also that space in front of the horns in this pic is where I will be putting the battery from the passenger side, to make extra room for the compounds someday!

And the cover I cut out of diamond plate.

I mounted the two tanks under the truck just forward of the rear wheels. Compressor's aren't wired yet, but I have filled up the tanks and gave the horns a toot and they are pretty dang loud :ro)

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Nice setup. Got to love unistrut. Silflosed and all.

Brian

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice setup. Got to love unistrut. Silflosed and all.

Brian
Thanks for the compliment! LOL! I know sometimes I feel like a dummy mounting everything erector-set style, but my welding skills don't exist as of yet and I don't own a welder anyway! I use strut for a ton of projects and I know some guys will shake their heads, but a guy does what he can ya know! I only had to braze one of those joints in place, you ever seen a bedliner on fire? :D I just couldn't bear the thought of chasing down leaks constantly with the pushlock stuff. I'll probably use it on the downstream side of a valve for future additions like an exhaust brake or to my airbags.

Edit: LOL! I knew something was up! Local 290 here! I'm just a lowly plumber for now though Ha Ha! Na plumbing has treated me fairly well, but right now there are more opportunities for the fitter's out this way. If ya can't beat 'em join 'em! I'm waiting to take a test right now to get my Class 5 so I can join the fitter's ranks. Hows the work out that way?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I was figuring this was a work of a professional plumber there. To nice to be any one else. I always what to horns and that is a nice setup. What size are the tanks under the bed and if there are any pics. I use unistrut myself. Fast and nice looking when it comes to working these days.

Brian

·
Registered
459 Posts
So, we have a Plumber and Steamfitter and a Boiler Salesman. . . ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was figuring this was a work of a professional plumber there. To nice to be any one else. I always what to horns and that is a nice setup. What size are the tanks under the bed and if there are any pics. I use unistrut myself. Fast and nice looking when it comes to working these days.

Brian
Thanx again Brian! I pride myself in my work and I do appreciate when others notice a quality job. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to put this deal together. I kept searching trying to find others installs and kept coming up with nothing. So hopefully this will give some guys some ideas. That's what these sites are for anyway, to share information among enthusiasts.
The tanks under the bed are aprox. 9x29" cylinders just about 8 gallons a piece. I would have taken some pictures for you, but my 14 year old is off camping and has my camera. Again I utilized some strut, mounted it upside down to the bed and clamped the tanks down to it. Worked out pretty well, there is a ton of space in front of the wheel wells on a long bed.

So, we have a Plumber and Steamfitter and a Boiler Salesman. . . ;)
Ha Ha Ha! Why does that sound like the beginning of a joke :D And why am I imagining that the plumber would be the butt of it LOL!

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
That could be a good joke. Wish I could come up with something good on that. But i would say it be against the steamfitter. HAHAHA!!!!

Nice sounding tanks. If you ever get around to taking pictures I like to see the install under there. I am so ready for train horns now. Just love that install.

Brian

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx again Brian! I pride myself in my work and I do appreciate when others notice a quality job.
I have to poke a little fun at myself here for saying "quality job" :D when you see the wiring you'll know what I'm talking about LOL! G-H-E-T-T-O! But it works.

Nice sounding tanks. If you ever get around to taking pictures I like to see the install under there. I am so ready for train horns now. Just love that install.

Brian
Finally took a bunch of pictures last weekend and today I made a slideshow album deal.......first time doing that. Pretty slick really. Here it is
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/...ic/OBA and Airhorn Setup/?albumview=slideshow

Remember........this is a work in progress here :HiHi:

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
i was having problems with the pressure switch. i went through 4 of them, all from different places, in about 2 months. instead, i hard wired the the power from the relay to the compressor, then introduced a switch in-between the the keyed power and the relay (the power used to turn the relay on) so that now I control when the compressor turns on and off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.