Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dyno day Jeff Garmon and David Dunbar put on for the 6.0 Powerstroke guys on Saturday. As always it was a top notch setup and we had a great time. There were not very many 6.0 rigs there to represent though. They did lay down a respectable 400 HP with the TS box though.

I put mine back on the rollers to see if I had diganosed and corrected some bursting issues with my stack and fuel delivery. I am confident the issues were resolved and the cold air that day made for some smoking numbers!
The truck layed down it's best baseline ever at 262.7 HP

We made over 18 passes trying different combos just to see what we could come up with. The Hot Juice Attitude on level 5 was pretty sweet, giving a 165.6 HP gain and added 362.7 ft pounds of TQ. The Quad 215 and HJAT 145 stack was dialed in and added 263.0 HP and 544.8 ft pounds of TQ.

I had quite a few requests for some trips around the block, the DMAX made a few believers out of some DC and Ford boys.

Here is the graph of the run.

Of course Mac might say the dyno is reading about 60 HP high.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
WoW!!! That must have made the Ford guys sick.

what was causing the bursting or fuel delivery problems and what was the cure?

were those 4th gear or 5th gear runs?

what hp settings are in your quad box?

Now you just need some nitrous and low 12's should be in your future if you can hook up. I'm curious to see you fast you can get that 2wd CC to go.

Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
360 Posts
mtomac said:
WoW!!! That must have made the Ford guys sick.

what was causing the bursting or fuel delivery problems and what was the cure?

were those 4th gear or 5th gear runs?

what hp settings are in your quad box?

Now you just need some nitrous and low 12's should be in your future if you can hook up. I'm curious to see you fast you can get that 2wd CC to go.

Mike - Made more than the Ford guys sick.

Made Jeff want a Duramax real bad, especially after the test ride.

Yes 5th gear runs, no down shift, roll into the throttle starting at 68 - 70 mph.

Anyone have any data on 4th and 5th runs yet? I have done it with manuals between 5th and 6th and see little to no difference at all. Don't have the Tech II for the Allison.

As BMDMAX said, air was great here Saturday. Notice this run was uncorrected or Actual data.

We were also treated to a 580 hp Mustang (10.60's) here on the rollers as well.

AND the Van Aaken 230 box we tried, we should have tried the center setting. That was the one Brandon!!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tomac,

I got a bum HJAT. It worked fine for a few days with no trouble at all. Then it started developing a no start condition, you could hit the key and all it would do is spin.

I then took it to the track and it was a disaster. It was bursting really bad in 4th and 5th, that is the first I have ever experienced such a thing and I don't want to repeat it. I had to pull it off the truck and run my old HJ 125 for the stack. The Q215 and HJ 125 ran great with no trouble at all.

JK and Edge worked with me and got a new unit out to me right away. We had all discussed fuel as a potential problem as well but I had a relatively new filter on so I did not really think that it was the problem. I ran the truck down a few 1/4 mile passes at my late night GTech test spot and it was still faltering in 4th and 5th. Not anything as bad as the original bursting at the track but not quite right either.

I ran the tank nearly dry, replaced the filter, got new fuel and gave it a really healthy dose of FPPF Total Power and +8 Cetane boost. I took the truck for a test drive and the difference was readily apparent. The dyno runs and further late night 1/4 passes confirmed the issues to be gone.

After that I decided to cut the filter open for inspection. I was pretty hacked off with what I found. The bottom 1/4 of the media was totally clogged with what looked like thicker than usual black gunk. There was some water and the usual rust colored gunk too. The rest of the media was pretty clear.

I have not yet put on a secondary filter but I think a second filter and a lift pump to fully use the filter media are in my future. The stock filter is junk IMHO.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot about the Quad box question.

I have the 70, 90, 135, and 215 tunes.

I should be hitting high 12's now the problems are solved but traction is getting really tough. I am trying to see how deep I can go without any bottle feeding but all the tracks are closed for the season here in GA.

I have been running some coil over setups in my mind that would allow me to adjust the rear suspension for weight transfer and that would still allow me to stiffen it up for heavy loads. Right now with the stock springs there is not a chance in hell that I can properly load the slicks to get the best bite.

But then again I did buy a tow vehicle first and turned it into a race truck second.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
refresh my memory how did those compare w/ the last. I think david dunbar is scheduled to be in FT Walton around the 17th of jan at Suncoast's open house. Hope to be there.......love to beatup on the fords

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best number last time was 515.6 but the TQ never broke the 1000 ft pound barrier. I had some 505 runs and quite a few 514 passes but the best numbers we put down were when the truck had some time to cool down between passes.

Oddly enough the two best runs were when the Attitude showed the engine temp at 171 degrees at the start of the run. The runs where it was at 180 and above the power and TQ would start to drop off. I think that the extra cool down on the intercooler made the difference.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
we need to hook up and go down to joes on the 17th....dyno and drag racing
your baseline was it with the attitude on 0 or with the truck completely stock.......we found the timing on 0 to be worth about 16 rwhpEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good to me! I will see if I can swing it.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
BMDMAX said:
After that I decided to cut the filter open for inspection. I was pretty hacked off with what I found. The bottom 1/4 of the media was totally clogged with what looked like thicker than usual black gunk. There was some water and the usual rust colored gunk too. The rest of the media was pretty clear.

I have not yet put on a secondary filter but I think a second filter and a lift pump to fully use the filter media are in my future. The stock filter is junk IMHO.

I would suggest contacting George for some biocide (he's supposed to have something better than the Killem that I have) just to be safe. The FPPF definitely helps, but if you get a load of bacteria laden fuel, all the FPPF can do is tie up some of the water...

·
Registered
360 Posts
sdaver said:
refresh my memory how did those compare w/ the last. I think david dunbar is scheduled to be in FT Walton around the 17th of jan at Suncoast's open house. Hope to be there.......love to beatup on the fords

As we said, we had killer air saturday and SAE correction actually took away from the actual numbers. Corrected the 525 was 515 and corrected his baseline of 263 was 245 (if I remember correctly). Like BMDMAX is saying, the intercooler temps seem to be the most important when you are looking for the "max" number.

And yes, I am supposed to be taking the dyno to Joe's (SunCoast's) Open house. As we get closer we'll need to get a head count for the Dyno.

I also think that Montgomery Motorsports Park was going to try and stay open all winter... hint hint..

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

This is all the farther my dyno is going for a bit. Need to wait for the concrete to dry out a bit more, and then paint the pit...

Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
946 Posts
David,

Where can I get a list of events you are doing? I want to get the Max up with the stock settings, then the Edge with Attitude.

Jared

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone know of a new intercooler for the Dmax's. I have been around turbos long enught to know cooler air equals more power. Anyone know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.