Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this new commercial?

If you subscribe to on-star and on-star diagnostics you can have on star email you the on-star diagnostic tests every month.

Who are they trying to appeal to? I am surprised they figure it is a valuable enough feature to warrant it's own commercial.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It's free, you just have to tell them you want it. Why the commercial? To someone without OnStar, it could be a selling point.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess but I can't imagine the average consumer wanting this.

I guess they are trying to show how powerful on-star is.

·
Registered
581 Posts
YOu can sign up online as well. They claim they will advise you on oil changes according to your personal driving habbits not mileage. Sounds familiar huh?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have onstar and,when i limped it.Onstar was there for me!!! they comferted me and told me that there is somthing wrong w/the transmission and should get it to a dealership ASAP, And wanted to know if they can set up a appiontment for me!!! I said no thanks, realy did want onstar to know what i did but cant rewind time. Cody

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have onstar and,when i limped it.Onstar was there for me!!! they comferted me and told me that there is somthing wrong w/the transmission and should get it to a dealership ASAP, And wanted to know if they can set up a appiontment for me!!! I said no thanks, realy did want onstar to know what i did but cant rewind time. Cody
I hope you called them to run the diag and they didn't call you. Did they give you the actual po700 and whatever 5th gear incorrect code? Did you ask for them?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I guess but I can't imagine the average consumer wanting this.
Think about the average consumer... like my step daughter who can't remember when to put gas in the car.
For vehicles without a DIC (or for people who can't figure out how a DIC works [see also "unable to drive and talk on the cellphone"]), maintenance reminders from OnStar could keep them from sludging up their engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm all signed up for this. I hope it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :rolleyes:

On the other hand Honda has much lower tech service where they guesstimate your milage and send an email reminding you it might be time to change the oil. I get the email and then ask the wife if her car needs an oil change. I'm proud to say that she has always replied that she has an appointment setup already. I'd do it myself but for the price they charge it's not worth my time. She drops it off on the way to work and picks it up on the way home. I don't fit under a Honda anyway. Ramps don't work either...unless they have a 1 in 1000 slope:rant:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Wow.... I do the wife's Rav4 without getting under it... crank the wheels to the right and I can reach the filter.... my head fits under enough to clean the mount.

It's funny... Toyota's reminder system is the same as Honda's.
I put about 45k/year on my vehicles... so I'm getting 15k reminders when I've got over 50k on the trucks :D

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
another guy on here was talking about this a few days ago

·
Registered
272 Posts
the good news is that my new LBZ 3500 dually, does not have the DTC diagnosis feature that onstar can read. They can only read ABS and Air Bag codes, no engine or tranny codes. I had a problem with mine in COLD weather with fuel gelling on me and set a check engine light and the truck died. Onstar could not tell me what was going on because my model did not come with that feature. I am going to call the dealer per ONSTAR and aske when the software update will be available. If anyone out there knows when it will be available please let me know.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have onstar and they CAN NOT get the parts for me. they are on back order. I was told day's, week's month's who know's i have a service that does not work, and they can not support but sell it. I have called GM, OnStar and I get the same answer. Poor, misleading on them. Still waiting for a call from the dealer. but i call every day same story -:t -:t why misleading to the consumer.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the good news is that my new LBZ 3500 dually, does not have the DTC diagnosis feature that onstar can read. They can only read ABS and Air Bag codes, no engine or tranny codes. I had a problem with mine in COLD weather with fuel gelling on me and set a check engine light and the truck died. Onstar could not tell me what was going on because my model did not come with that feature. I am going to call the dealer per ONSTAR and aske when the software update will be available. If anyone out there knows when it will be available please let me know.
I'm amazed that my 2005 has all the OnStar diagnostic capabillities and your 2006 does not. GM going backwards technologically? If that's the case, that program won't last long. Personally I think the OnStar service is too expensive.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like it for the fact that I travel a bunch and I also have my Verizon Phone service thru the onstar phone rather than paying the INSANE prices for onstar phone minutes. I have it coupled with my hand held cell and have a shared minute nationwide calling, no long distance, free night and weekends and Verizon to Verizon calling and 2100 minutes for $120 a month. I worked for a Cadillac/HUMMER dealer in the service department and it amazes me as well that my new truck does not have that feature. Plus my insurance cut me a killer break having it and being subscribed.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
its most likely because of the GMLAN data bus implimentation for ECM/TCM communication on the 2006's. On 2001-2005 trucks, the ECM's still spoke a bit of Class II, which is what the VCIM speaks. SOooo....on the older trucks, OnStar could read engine codes... Its annoying...they should have left the databus structure in place until the GMT-900 changeover, and then just gone 100% GMLAN with that. For the -800's and the Dmax, I dont really see the problem with J1939/Class II usage in the pre 2006 -800's. Adding another databus (GMLAN) just complicated things and makes it harder to communicate with the ECM/TCM...JMO...

--Ben

·
Registered
272 Posts
THanks for the help. It pisses me off that they did that but I guess charging people $18 a month to tell them that their oil needs changed then it does suck and overpriced

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
its most likely because of the GMLAN data bus implimentation for ECM/TCM communication on the 2006's. On 2001-2005 trucks, the ECM's still spoke a bit of Class II, which is what the VCIM speaks. SOooo....on the older trucks, OnStar could read engine codes... Its annoying...they should have left the databus structure in place until the GMT-900 changeover, and then just gone 100% GMLAN with that. For the -800's and the Dmax, I dont really see the problem with J1939/Class II usage in the pre 2006 -800's. Adding another databus (GMLAN) just complicated things and makes it harder to communicate with the ECM/TCM...JMO...

--Ben

Try to speak english when talking to me Ben :help2: ):h

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few months before I purchased my Duramax, my wife bought a Cadillac STS, complete with OnStar. As we were setting up the Onstar account, they asked if we (she) wanted the internet report. I thought it was a great idea. I ahve it sent to my email address, and I can keep tabs on her car and know when I will need to get it in for service. I call it... "wife spying!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts