Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hei I am a Norwegian newbee with a -97 Express van that I bought only then days ago.

Anyway I was going home from work and after a ten minute ride I had to stop at a ferry terminal.
I let the van stand in the line idling for a few minutes when it suddenly stops...
I tried to restart it about ten times,nothing,then I did check all the fuses,relays nothing
I opened the drain on the fuel filter turned the igniton on,fuel did flow,I closed the drain no change
I pull the STOP fuse turned the key and it starts, runs like normal,revs no warning lamps everything is normal for about 30 secs and I put the STOP fuse back,it runs another 20 secs at idle and stops.
I try everyting again,no sign of life and I give up for the night.
The next morning it starts at the first try and I was able to move it 20 meter before it did stop again
After that no sign of life what so ever so it was towed to a dealer close by.

Anyone have an idea ? I would really like some input here before they start to work on it as they will for sure rip me of.

Best regards

Espen :(

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
how many miles on the van. reason for asking is the ip has a factory warranty of 193000 kms. not saying that's the problem but it's good to know. also if you update your sig the experts on here will be better able to help you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hei Espen, sikkert pumpa eller driveren til pumpa som har fått det. sjekk om du har garanti, for den gjelder begge deler Worldwide. (Norwegian for: probably bad IP or FSD,there is a worldwid warranty for both.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
193 000 Km...

You must be kidding me 193 000 Km !

I just turned 195 000 ! I bought it at 193 500 !:eek:

There must be a way out on this one,are you sure that it could be the pump ?

Could I ask the seller to pay for it or ask for a refound ? (seller is a privat person in Norway,I have a contract where it says that the engine,trans and so on is in good shape )

Espen

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Stalling can be a common problem. Several different possiblities:
1. PMD
2. Fuel cap
3. Ignition switch (not the key)
4. Fuel supply issues

Go to the diagnostic checklist at the top of the form page and you'll see a listing of things to check with an "answer key" at the bottom. FAQ's full of info too. I have the same chasis as you.

If you don't have it fixed by the end of the diagnostic checklist, post your findings back and we'll have a look-see.

Also, click on the welcome New Forum member. It has all the info for how we go about doing things around here, like including your vehicle information in your signature line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hei Knkreb

Your check list is great,I did go through it before I posted here.

everything checks out,New airfilter,fuel prepump works,no with smoke,light black smoke during heavy acceleration,no early pressure in the cooling system.
Did run really great and strong before it did stop.

Yes my garage and vehicle information will come up put I am at work and have a really slow connection.

I used to be a car mechanic and I have been involved in Dragracing I have also been selling parts to US cars for several years for one of the larger companys in Norway.

But I have not had a lot to do with the 6.5L diesel
Espen

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
there have been cases where gm would warranty the pump if mileage is slightly over the mark. suggest you read the sticky on what to do to the truck before you take it to the dealer...it may not be the pump but like knkreb said double check the list he gave you

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
there have been cases where gm would warranty the pump if mileage is slightly over the mark.
They did for me. If you need help with warranty, let us know.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
They won't warranty, if it it's not the pump. You'll have to make sure that any other issues are resolved first, because if there is a way they can get out of warranty, they will. Example: bad lift pump etc, (I know you've already checked that)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here is the latest update from the dealers garage.

After a code scan they got nothing ! everything checks out,not one error code !
And the best is that it did start on the first try !

Then I guess that it would only be the PMD, the ignition switch or bad contact somewhere left ?

What about a stuck stop selonoid ?

And the is the pump out of the question now ?

They still have it at the dealer,I want them to do some small repair while its there and relocate the PMD,they did say that the warranty for a new PMD would be lost if they moved it from its original place but I do not care,I will buy a new one from the US and have it in the van as a spare.
And why by it from the US ? The dealer price for the PMD is 865 USD !

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
if it is the pmd it is covered under the injection pump warranty. they classify it as a one piece unit. the pmd can fail with no codes showing. they could also loosen it then carefully retorque it. that has been known to sometimes extend the pmd's life.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Next time it stalls, check for power at ecm-1 and ecm-b fuses with key on. If you have power to both of these, it is not the ignition switch.

When the van stalls, does the glow plug light (wait to start) come on?

If it starts and runs well, I'd look towards the pmd or bad electrical connection. Check all ground wires. Make sure connections are clean. Battery connections too. These electrical systems are a little touchy. You don't want to spend money on parts if all you've got is a bad connection.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
There is an repair that you can attempt on the PMD transitor nuts if you are backed up against the wall here, it can buy you time, IF that is the problem. If you read the FAQ's, you'll see the PMD thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts