Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking to install a Noco on board battery maintainer. My question is should I use the 1 bank and connect it to just one of the battery's or should I use the 2 bank maintainer and run separate leads to both battery's individually?
Im just not sure if it would do damage trying to 'charge both battery's while connected however the trucks battery's are wired...

Im guessing one set of leads to one battery will do the trick to maintain and hooking both batts up without disconnecting at least one from the truck wouldnt be a good idea but what do I know.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would think that having both batteries connected at the same time might be counterproductive.I would do just one at a time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a tender on mine now. I connect to the red box and ground lug. Works great and charges both batteries.

·
Registered
2007 2500HD LBZ
42 Posts
The batteries are wired together in parallel and act as one big battery. I'm not sure the tender would like having both outputs connected together. Would be good question for the guys who make and or design the tender. You may want to just get the tender for one battery with one output.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I figured the one with a single set of leads would be the one. Thanks for helping confirm my thoughts. I plan to have it mounted in the engine bay and have it plugged in when I plug the block heater in the winter. So don't plan on taking the time to disconnect and reconnect batterys ever day hence the on-board maintainer idea. If I ever feel need to charge them I will disconnect them and charge them properly with one of my other chargers.

Hey 68ss, when you say you connect to the ground lug, do you mean on the battery itself or somewhere else?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ya I figured the one with a single set of leads would be the one. Thanks for helping confirm my thoughts. I plan to have it mounted in the engine bay and have it plugged in when I plug the block heater in the winter. So don't plan on taking the time to disconnect and reconnect batterys ever day hence the on-board maintainer idea. If I ever feel need to charge them I will disconnect them and charge them properly with one of my other chargers.

Hey 68ss, when you say you connect to the ground lug, do you mean on the battery itself or somewhere else?
I connect to the red box at the power steering pump. Where you would connect to jump something off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I get the positive at the red box but then you just self tap a screw in to the flat steel piece that says ground? Or where did you run your ground? Originally I figured id go straight to a battery. I guess I've never really looked where that steel piece goes to is the a bolt on it somewhere or somthing down below

·
Registered
7 Posts
As other have mentioned, I use the red jumper point and the ground on the PS pump. I have checked both batteries with my Fluke and both get maintained simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Any proper ground will work, engine block or either battery or your jump ground point. they should all work the same.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on boys. Just wanted to be sure fer sure ya know. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just clamp to the piece of metal that says ground.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ive always used a BatteryMINDER brand maintainer. Comes with clamps or pigtail that can be mounted to battery junction box and easily plugged in or detached. Unit desulfates too. My original batteries were eleven years old when I finally decided to replace them. They were still testing good! Used on stored RV as well. A 12 volt unit easily handles both batteries.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I've got everything except my "Y" piece that will go from both plugs to one single male end to plug an extension cord in at the bumper where I mount it. BUT I was looking under the hood and it seems like there isn't a whole lot of room to mount the thing. Theres actually a lot more room under the hood of my LML than there is in the engine bay of the LBZ. Didn't really realize that until I finished doing the thermostats on the LML earlier then went and had a look at the LBZ. Was planning on mounting on the inside federally area until I realized the hinges will hit it on either side. Firewall looks like there isn't much room unless I mount near the engine or exhaust which I assume will get too hot. I can make a crude bracket possibly somehow if I need to.

Anybody have suggestions on where they mounted one?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On second thought, I guess if I can't find room enough anywhere else convenient. Maybe I can just mount it on top of the lid to the fuse box. Id prefer not to but as long as the hood will still have enough clearance that will probably work. It has a little bit of weight to it but I'm sure it would be okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
There plenty of options under your hood. You need to get creative. You can route your pigtail out one of the recovery hooks at the bumper to plug in without the need to pop your hood.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I ordered a "Y" that will mount in a predrilled hole in the lower valance under the bumper. Just have to decide in where to mount the charger itself

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take a look under the top plastic cover the spans between the radiator support and the fan shroud. Lots of room and out of sight not to mention somewhat out of the heat and weather.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never thought of that. Awesome. Thats the kinda suggestion I was lookin for. Ill have a look see for sure and probably found my spot. Thanks bud

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Will have to take a couple more pics when I get a chance but I've got my cheap little makeshift bracket fabbed up, maintainer installed on it and wires and cords ran, plug installed in the bumper and wired the power wire. Haven't hooked up the ground yet as I'm charging both battery's and have one 'repairing' with a noco7200 charger. Install is basically done though. Ill have to pop the grill back off n take another pic of the final install when I get a chance. Was puttin on a remote grease hose from the idler pivot and doin some other stuff in between while I was in the garage. Gota do an oil change n some stuff to the ol' ladies vehicle tomorrow before it gets super cold again. Only supposed to be -15 Sunday (outside anyway, the concrete in the garage makes it a lot colder in there). I might make another bracket for the on board unit eventually, but this will do the job for now.

Attachments

Reactions: firestopper
1 - 20 of 22 Posts