Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the best way to install an onboard air compresser on a 2006 c4500 4x4. And also the most cost effective way. The truck has a p.t.o or is there something that runs of the belt on the engine.I only need it to air up my tires in glamis

·
Registered
498 Posts
For airing up tires a 12V electric compressor would be sufficient (120 psi. max.). Harbor Freight or Grainger catalogs on-line, should have all you need (lines, unions, compressor, 2 Gal. tanks, fittings, overpressure release, bleed valves, quick disconnect, etc.). All you need is to fab. the brackets to mount tank to the driver's side steps (pre-drilled for the OEM tank) and compressor, run some wires to the fuse block for the OEM compressor, and put in a fuse.

However, if you are going to try and run air tools, you will need more c.f.m. capacity and larger or multiple air tanks. If'n you have a crew cab, you will have three locations to mount air tanks (driver's side two steps and passenger side rear step), and get a larger compressor (2-3 HP) with 6-8 c.f.m. (cu. ft. / min.) capacity. This means larger wires and higher rated fuse, but it should work as well..... just add a switch in your wiring to turn off/on the compressor, else it will start up as soon as the ing. is turned on, and may compete for AMPS with the glow-plugs/air-box heater and starter.

RF

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try www.awdirect.com they have a real good set-up commpressor withreelhose all for 515.99 plus shipping or they have a12 volt that runs a 1/2 inch impact wrench for 1,171.99 they deal with tow and const. companys

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Viair has 100% duty compressors and air tanks. I use a 2 gallon tank with a viair 380 compressor. Tank was $29 and Compressor was $135 off ebay. All mounted on the steel plate behind driver's step..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts