Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking to one of my good friends, he's now a bully dog dealer, which is kinda nice, but he is claiming that all his contacts at Bully Dog are saying this shift kit and their ATF fluid will do as they claim, 50-60 hp more holding...I know, I know, why would bully dog say their product doesn't work, but my friends is saying that it will, not just because he's a dealer and talks to the dealer, but because he has done this on a few ally's and the customers have had good feedback on everything thus far. Has anyone else tried this unit/combo and had good luck with it? Trust me, i'd LOOOVE to buy a big bad heavy duty tranny from sun coast, or whom ever, but I just can't drop that kinda cash. I'm just trying to see if doing the kit, ATF fluid from Bully, and a rapid power with tranny smart software will keep me safe! I'm not looking to be a drag racer here, just want more HP that I can use and benefit from! Sorry for the long post, but please post with your thoughts/Comments.

Thanks in advance eveyone!!!! I love the knowledge on this site :grd:
J-HEFF

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The experts have said it doesn't work.First off your tranny will hold 50/60 more HP without any certain damage.Certainly not more or less with the valves that are sold that you have mentioned.There is plenty of reading here on that item,dig in.

I know many running a 90 HP Juice box and used in the moderation levels with 02's with NO problems,stock transmission.

What is this fluid? I would be cautious about that too.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Wrong, wrong, WRONG! I tried it and it didn't work, now I have a new tranny):h

Just trying to save you the $$$

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Glad you are setting me straight here, always figured it was too good to be true:eek:: . Bully dog has some sort of Auto Tranny Fluid that they claim holds more power, provides less slip, lowers tranny temps....cures cancer, taste's good on pancakes, ect. ;) Anybody tried that???

J-HEFF

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Thanks guys,
Glad you are setting me straight here, always figured it was too good to be true:eek:: . Bully dog has some sort of Auto Tranny Fluid that they claim holds more power, provides less slip, lowers tranny temps....cures cancer, taste's good on pancakes, ect. ;) Anybody tried that???

J-HEFF

:funnypost

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
The experts have said it doesn't work.First off your tranny will hold 50/60 more HP without any certain damage.Certainly not more or less with the valves that are sold that you have mentioned.There is plenty of reading here on that item,dig in.

I know many running a 90 HP Juice box and used in the moderation levels with 02's with NO problems,stock transmission.

What is this fluid? I would be cautious about that too.
Mac
Ya the experts have said it wouldn't work, but it was the members here that tryed it that put the kiss of death on it. ( that will make or break any hype ) As far as fluids go; I would want to know the specs and manuf. before I ever put it in anyones truck. B&M still sells their blue fluid which is type F Ford fluid from the '60s. That fluid is so outdated and can'r hold a candle to the holding power of todays synthetics.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Mac
Ya the experts have said it wouldn't work, but it was the members here that tryed it that put the kiss of death on it. ( that will make or break any hype ) As far as fluids go; I would want to know the specs and manuf. before I ever put it in anyones truck. B&M still sells their blue fluid which is type F Ford fluid from the '60s. That fluid is so outdated and can'r hold a candle to the holding power of todays synthetics.
Just for giggles Mike L,what can I expect to gain by going to syn.tranny fluid?:confused:

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Alllrighty then.(thanks)Say hi to the sheep for me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Is the AMS "copy" of Transynd ok to run? Thoughts?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it be smart for me to put some sort of synthetic tranny fluid in before I add the extra 50-60 hp? Is there any real noticable difference in performance with it, or is it just one of those things that should be done just cause. :) I'm just trying to find options on what to do here, I don't have the bucks to buy a built tranny, would love to do it but have a hard enough time makin' the payments alone. I guess the rapid power module does have tranny smart software on it, I suppose that'll help some if something ever did try to slip. I'd just like to mash the throttle from a dead stop on the tow setting any day of the week and not have to worry about limping or severe slipping or shuttering or explosions, haha. Thanks again everyone!
J-HEFF

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
running synthetics wont help protect the tranny, and most programmers have tranny protection software, but many or all will still limp the tranny and burn the clutches eventually killing the tranny. It a saying around here for some time. If you wanna play you gotta pay. These trannies are tough, but aren't designed to withstand the abuse we put them through. Save up, and get a tranny, at least a SC3. A transgo and a good TC are a minimum.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So will a 75 hp program kill my tranny pretty quick? I don't drive like a 98 year old man, but I am in my early twenties and like to be able to get on it from time to time and get [email protected]% rollin'!. I just don't have the cash to buy a tranny, plus, I honestly don't need or want any more power over like 75 HP. I had a pred. programmer on my old 02 duramax, and it was on 40 hp like 99 percent of the time. I just want to know what this stock tranny will hold. I realize a 90+ hp tune driven hard isn't good. But is it safe to say that you could run the hell outa a 50 hp tune in any gear, and drive almost as hard, just don't do jack ass stuff, and be fine with 75 hp tune? Thanks guys!

J-HEFF

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I drove a 125 hp tune for almost 20,000 miles with very little clutch buring. C4's looked the worst, C3's weren't bad...and I drive like I stole it.

However, this is with a fresh, new tranny. I would say 100hp would be fine, but it depends on a lot of elements.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand what your saying for sure, It just seems to me that 50-75 hp shouldn't kill a tranny in 20,000 miles. I want to be able to get like 60-70 more miles ouat this tranny before I yank it out or sell the truck!!:) I have 50,000 right now on the stock tranny, so I figure the trucks still good...I did however buy it used with 40,000 miles, but as far as I know there was no aftermarket product (besides 4 inch exhaust) added to the truck, so tranny should be fine. I know the truck had the original filter on it and the fluid looks perfectly fine, so I hope i'm right in assuming this. Anyway, thanks again for the insight.
J-HEFF

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Give you an idea....40K miles with stock power and another 40k on mostly Edge Level 4 and some 3. No heavy towing. No launches or racing. Normal to aggressive (ok aggressive) street driving. The tranny won't hold Level 3 anymore and shows slips even on Level 1 going up hills with the foot into it.

So if you want to get 60-70K miles more - stay below 75hp added power.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
bottom line is everyone here can tell you what they have done with their trannies, and there are a few members here that beat theirs to death, and have never even limped it, but others limp fairly easily. Point is, you run your own risk of killing the tranny, and if you fail it, it is a harsh reality that your gonna have to fork out some cash to get it fixed. So be warned, play at your own risk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts