Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... why did I buy a Dodge?

I've only had it for a month and a half and 3000 miles.
At this point I do not feel I made a mistake but it's still a little premature. I say this because as with all vehicles, you don't know what you got until you have owned it for quite some time.

I desperately wanted to get rid of my GMC Dmax for fear of out-of-warranty repair expenses. I new I would not be keeping it for another 100,000 miles and at 72,000 miles and it looking preemo, I decided to investigate trade in value. I usually sell outright but between the tree crush, head gasket and knock I was starting to hear, I did not want to sell private. I can't warranty the truck and I would feel like I would be ripping somebody off if I didn't tell all. Then I doubt if they would buy it anyway. The dealer test drove it and asked no questions except... how much are you expecting to get for it.

I've had a desire to own a straight axle 4x4 diesel for a long time. GM's IFS, although well designed and very durable, never turned on my "pride" button. In other words.... I was tired of arguing that its as good or better than StraightFrontAxle (SFA).

Don't get me wrong... it really makes no big difference to me in the way I use my trucks cause I don't really work them enough for this stuff to be a concern. I'm just an enthusiast and you know how wierd and wacky we can be.

I was yearning for a regular truck... not GM's idea of one but Ford or Dodges idea of what a truck should be. I hate GM's frame. How it is the lowest point on the truck. I cringe everytime I look at it. What were they thinking? They had the big chance in 2001 when they came out with the HD trucks to make a real contender to Ford and Dodge. I was really disappointed but the Dmax/Allison hype won me over. I feel they (GM) did build a good over the road contender but failed miserably against the SuperDuty and the Dodge with respect to commercial/offroad appeal. Superduties are still killing the Duramax in sales even with the unreliable 6.0 PSD. That's because they build a truck that can do the work without the embarrassing low frame and low stance. The SuperDuties have bigger cabs and the frames are tucked up inside way up high.

Dodge is strange. I think they blew it too by not competing head on with Ford. Forget GM. They shouldn't worry about GM. GM is going the wrong direction. But Dodge needs the larger rear crew cab seating. That is a huge mistake. Crew cab sales are through the roof and the big back seat sells the GMs and Fords in many cases. Ford has no problem selling their trucks to old guys with trailers. GM's easy to climb in philosophy is good but doesn't justify it's concept in the entire model lineup.

I have a long history of taking interest in the Cummins engine. The second generation Dodges looked real nice but the tranny issues and front end/steering issues always steered me away. I test drove a new one in 1997. Lack of power turned me off completely. They also had NO crew cab at all.

Now the third generation comes out. It got better looking to me the more I saw it. Still had "cheap" stuck in my brain though, and the "What would people think?" syndrome. I read they beefed up the trans to 48RE configuration. I hear they can be built up if needed for a bunch less than an Allison. Find out they are using AAM axles. Not sure if that's a good thing but the GMs didn't have major problems with them.

All of a sudden one day I said, that's it. I'm doing it. Did the research, hit a few dealerships, got a good trade in price and did the deal.

I can tell you this.... I have been all over this new Dodge... put the big exhaust on, played with the airbox, turbo resonator and removed the turbo silencer ring. Everything is so much easier to access, see and work on. This Dodge is better designed and has superior fit and finish from a frame and body point of view. The Dodge has real door hinge detent mechanisms instead of those hoky things GM uses that make that awful scraping noise. The tailgate o

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Bored ???

You could have bought a Hemi and saved alot of money too ....

Check back at 70K and three years we'll be waiting to see if fit and finish, tires and steering hold up ...

I'm bookmarking this one ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe...

MAC.... you must have been reading this while I was typing it. Hate to break it to you but I don't think it'll be any worse for wear that the GMC was after a few years.
Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hoot,

Unfortunately, I agree with your feelings on the Radio and HVAC.

I have the MANUAL Dual Zone HVAC (mandatory with Snowplow prep) and while it's decent, the mix (bilevel) settings are horrible.

Very good, honest writeup you just posted.

Stay away from those trees!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Cause you were out of your right mind?

If you wanted to get away from GM and find out what a real truck (as you say) was like then why did you put GM Hummer wheels on your truck?
That makes no sense at all. Guess I will never understand a guy who trades in his GM truck for a d**ge.

Just picking, I guess
I am happy you like it, just sorry you went to the dark side. Maybe you will see the force and come back.

HOOT, GM is your father.....
Edited by: GMC2500HD

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the "Made in Poland" PYO wheels off the GMC and put GM H2 wheels on it too.

You are all welcome to tear into me for this post. Let it rip. I like a good healthy controversy.

My DODGE has AAM axles, New Venture transfer case, and a Bosch high pressure common rail injection system. Does GM make those? All of the above also come in a GM truck. Does GM make the Hummer wheels? GM doesn't make much anymore... as with all the manufacturers.

My first car was a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT Convertible. Back then I was Ford BLUE all the way and hated Chevies. By the time I was 30 I flipped 180 to Chevy.

But I always remembered how indestructable some of the old Dodges were that I owned. Junky but you could beat the drivetrain to death.

Dodge has made some great advances recently and is continuing to come up with some interesting things. It cracks me up with GM bragging about having DOD (displacement on demand) comming out for the last few years..... and Chrysler just beat them to the punch. Dodge needs to get it's fuel consumption down overall. The Hemi now comes with it.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good post Hoot.

I never thought I would ever buy a Dodge after being in a Ford all my adult life,I would never own a GM truck,I live in Flint and all I see is GM stuff,so I have always been on the other side of the coin.

I had a 99 Superduty PSD and I loved it,all stock and never did let me down,but after 120000 miles I had an itch for a new PSD and Ford wanted $6000 more for the same truck as what I had before,so I looked at Dodge and ended up getting a 4X4 3500 Quadcab,I hated it for the first 48000 miles which I had on it in 6 months,I went for the DTT Torque convertor and valve body and bigger injectors and a Van Aakens box,then the truck was awsome,and after 106000 I wanted a new truck,found a 305/555 and jumped on it,and am very happy with the results so far,I have not added anything yet it is all stock..Edited by: DGFoster

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice write up, Mike.

I'd do something like that, but I'm too lazy. I'm came BACK to Dodge, after a less than stellar experience with my Ford. So far, so good.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Now I heard it all.................

Hoot,

We are putting that Dodge on the rollers here...........ON ME.......

Wanna see what she's got............

T
NY

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would love to see that,especially when the chivy guys mouth drops to the floor

·
Registered
166 Posts
If only someone would match a cummins with an allison. I like both trucks a lot and it took me a while to decide between the two. Both have their ups and downs so I guess it was more brand loayalty for me than anything.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
DGFoster said:
I would love to see that,especially when the chivy guys mouth drops to the floor

I don't know about that........it would take a Nickle and a Dime to make my mouth hang open.........

Don't think I'll see that number except from a chivy.........

T
NY

Please Note....a NICKLE is 500 RWHP and a Dime would be 1000 RWTQ.

In case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
151 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
DGFoster said:

I don't know about that........it would take a Nickle and a Dime to make my mouth hang open.........

Don't think I'll see that number except from a chivy.........

T
NY

Please Note....a NICKLE is 500 RWHP and a Dime would be 1000 RWTQ.

In case anyone was wondering.

I think 500 and 1000 is about right for a very mildly bombed Cummins

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
I have seen some Cummins Dyno numbers............what does it take to make those numbers ????????

Can ya just slap a program in the ECM or stack a combo and get there ??????

Or are we talking a Turbo..........Injectors..........and a new program ???

Just asking 'cause I don't know nuttin 'bout dem Dodges......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Most of the big guns out there have injectors,fueling box and a different turbo,I dont know if they are stacking the boxes though,and I thing some are changing the timing also.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not into roller wars. Never was. None of my trucks has ever been on one and I have never bragged about having one to beat. But I love the getogethers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hoot, I am proud of you for giving an accurate and unbiased comparison, but I still can't help but laugh when I think about all the trouble you used to give me for being a potatoe chip truck driver

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cummins Luke said:
I still can't help but laugh when I think about all the trouble you used to give me for being a potatoe chip truck driver
And now I are one

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hoot,

Don't let the guy with the comment about 70,000 miles bother you. I don't know about 3 yrs., my 03 is 15 months old and has almost 126,000 miles on it and it is still as tight and rattle free as it was when it was new, and I'm sure the roads I travel are a lot worse than 99% of the people on this board drive on.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts