Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now all the info I have gotten from yall has been great!! TOP NOTCH! Now I must say I am a little disappointed.

All I heard was that a straight piped dmax was LOUD! Well I took my 2003 extcab silverado to a muffler shop and had them take out the muffler. Put in straight pipe. Then I got a header pipe with the CAT on it and hollowed out the cat. I was thinking that this thing was going to be really loud..NOT. The truck is just a little louder than stock. I was VERY disappointed. I didn't want the 40 series flowmaster sound but I wanted SOME!

NOW I did notice that the muffler shop replaced my muffler with a 3" pipe!
So I will have to hunt for some 3 1/2 or 4" to replace that junk. But I have to ask WHY is a diesel so quiet? Shouldn't there be some volume to the sound?

OK I will climb down off the soap box and quit my griping. I was just pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
A turbo charged vehicle does muffel the exhaust some ...

My guess would be they did not do a good job opening up the cat and it's still restrictive ...

Find a 01/02 intermediate pipe to replace it with .... I've heard straight piped diesel there considerably louder ....

Mac

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea burner. I will have to do that.

As for the cat not being opend up. There is nothing left inside the case. We got it all out. I was thinking that maybe the 3" pipe in place of the muffler had something to do with it.

After watching the videos I am thinking that I won't get the v8 sound I like. BUT the diesel sounds is just as sweet.

Being new to diesels there is alot to get used to.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
I recycled some pipe off my 3500's stock system after I installed a KD 4" on it. I straight piped my 2500GD and it barks pretty loud when you get on the pipe. Right Jermck!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was also only able to obtain 3" pipe for the straight-piping.. It does get quite loud over 2000rpm, below that it's not much louder than stock. With the windows up you'll barely notice a difference, get someone to drive your truck and romp on it when they go by and you'll hear what it really sounds like.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My muffler shop ordered a lenght of 3-1/2" just for me.
Charged me $80 for the whole deal.

It is loud on acceleration.... no denying.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I got ahold of a 4-5" reducer and some 4" pipe(try a OTR truck shop) and straight piped my truck. Its not much louder than the muffler with the kennedy exhaust and thats a bit louder than stock at idle but it and the kennedy muffler wake up quite a bit. At heavy throttle especially near a building or in a parking deck she gets rather loud. With the windows up I dont really notice it unless i am on it but it is much louder outside. Chevy just has good insulation i think
Juice makes a bit more noise too
Edited by: ratlover

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can also buy 304 stainless through http://www.mcmaster.com. 4" runs about $93 for a 3 foot length. They are pricy, but just wait at home for the brown truck.

Mark

·
Registered
754 Posts
It didn't seem much louder when I had mine piped, until I had the windows down and did a WOT roll on next to a building. The only way to judge it is to get out and have someone do a drive by, then you'll hear what everone else does. Mine turns heads in traffic every time I get on it. I've had people roll up their windows in stop and go.

Mike

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
IF YOU WANT IT LOUD I SUGGEST GO TO 5 INCH. I CAN RATTLE ALL OF THE WINDOWS IN THE NIEGHBORHOOD WITH MY PICKUP. WHATS A BLAST IS GOING UNDER AN OVERPASS THAT IS FULL OF PIGEONS AND ROMPING ON IT. THEY ALL LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE HAD A POT ON THIER HEADS AND SOMEONE HAS HIT IT WITH A HAMMER. (WYLIE COYOTE LOOK).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you guys telling me to let someone ELSE drive my truck??? I am struck.....It can't be....

OK all kidding aside I may just have to do that. And some 4"pipe and elbows are going to be on the way soon to replace that 3" crap..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts