Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the hoot method i need a "cobalt-R" drill bit...Problem is I can't find one without ordering six of them @ 70$:eek: . So, what drill bit have you guys used?? Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just used a standard drill bit. The manifold is pretty soft.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The important thing is start with a smaller bit and LIGHT pressure. Let the bit do the cutting (with the engine runnng). I used two smaller bits, 3/16" and 5/16" before finally using the "R" bit.

If you can't find an "R" bit, I can get you one, but you'll need to send me $13 to cover the bit & shipping. PM me if you want one. You should be able to find up there. Check at auto parts stores or industrial hardware suppliers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Well I have a snap-on drill bit high speed steel "R" but wasn't really sure if the hss bits are good enough to drill the manifold. Anyone else??:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
That will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As long as it's sharp to start you'll be fine as the only difference will be bit longevity for future use. Just remember to have the engine running when you drill or remove the manifold first.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had to go to several stores to get a cobalt drill. After drilling the manifold, I really don't think it was necessary as "solly" said it is soft metal. I had the engine running and oiled the drill bit during the drilling. Everything went fine. Also, as SixPak says start with a pilot hole. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts