Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sometimes, I really feel like the weight ratings on our vehicles is a joke. I mean around the houston area I regularly see trucks like ours hauling small dozers around on 30ft goosenecks.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
On my 2500HD Duramax short bed extended cab, I have been towing a 32.5 fiver with a GVWR of 14,000lbs. When I ordered the fiver I got the 7,000lbs axles for the oversized breaks. I use the Breaksmart break controller and in the past 2 years I have not had a problem. Earlier this year when I needed new tires I went to a LT265 75R16 for extra load rating. right after I got the truck I added 3200lb timbrens. I have made 3 trips coast to coast, using I10, I5 and this time I40 and RT99. The fiver and truck ride level, no breaking problems or pulling up 6 and 8% grades.

Last year I had the truck and then the truck and fiver weighted on a CAt scale. The truck with full fuel, myself and my wife and all the regular stuff we carry weighed, Steer Axle 4240, Drive Axle 3200 and Gross Weight 7440. With the truck the same and the fiver attached, Steer Axle 4300, Drive Axle 6220, trailer axles 12700 and Gross Weight 23240 this was on the 245 tires. I believe the sticker on the truck gives fron axle 4800, rear axle 6048 and gross of 9200 with the stock tires. The 265 tires have a rating of 3415 in single configuration, oh I am running single wheel configuration. The 05 rating for CGWR is 23,000lbs.

I do not worry about it at all.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
tpinck,
you do realize that you are over the weight limit on your rear axle? If the door sticker is exceeded you can get a ticket for being overweight.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Yes, but 175lbs I am not really worried about, besides that in my travels coast to coast 3 time, I have never seen a weight station that specified an RV and most in CA specify no pick-ups, so how would I get a ticket? Since that weighin I have learned that by putting water in my fresh water tank lightens the pin weight on the rear axle. The tank is behind the trailer axles.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yes, but 175lbs I am not really worried about, besides that in my travels coast to coast 3 time, I have never seen a weight station that specified an RV and most in CA specify no pick-ups, so how would I get a ticket? Since that weighin I have learned that by putting water in my fresh water tank lightens the pin weight on the rear axle. The tank is behind the trailer axles.

Cool, looks like you have it figured out. I have heard here in so. cal they are looking harder at TT, because so many people are overweight. A nd pulling doubles attracts them even more. I have not had any issues either.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
tpinck, Those numbers on the truck look just like mine.

With the trailer, you added 3060 to the truck through the hitch pin, the axles weigh 12,700 for a gross of 15,760. Trailer sticker of 14,000.........

That's 1,760 over on the trailer alone. That may get somebodies attention. More than the 175 or so on the truck.

You may have to run with no water in any tank to get the trailer gross down.

Just my 2 cent.

on edit: As noted earlier, beefing up the componants doesn't change the sticker on the truck or trailer that the cop looks at to get his numbers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The axle rating is based on the tires. Has nothing to do with the axle itself. Mine tows great.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The axle rating is based on the tires. Has nothing to do with the axle itself. Mine tows great.

This is true, but the DOT goes by the sticker, not by the tires. Unless you go to the DOT and get an inpection and pay the extra fees.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is true, but the DOT goes by the sticker, not by the tires. Unless you go to the DOT and get an inpection and pay the extra fees.

An earlier post eluded that the axle limit is what is stated on the door. I was just pointing out that the axle is not going to break if you are over hat weight. Legal to be over that, no. Safe with proper tires, yes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
An earlier post eluded that the axle limit is what is stated on the door. I was just pointing out that the axle is not going to break if you are over hat weight. Legal to be over that, no. Safe with proper tires, yes.

I do agree with you, I just don't want someone to tell the DOT cop that we said it was legal and get there truck red tagged.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well here is something you guys should read:

"Towed a big fiver for years with my f250 with no problems, just like everyone else that goes to Glamis.... Here is one of the best explanations I have ever seen coming from law enforcement (yes the real weight police, not internet "experts") regarding the weight sticker on your door, it's long but worth the read:

The topic is brought up every second Tuesday and everytime someone responds who has no knowledge of the laws but just repeats the same old campfire stories which are flat out wrong. I am a retired state police commander. I commanded a district which had the highest fine producing fixed scales in the state. In addition I was one of 2 of the first Troops in the state to be certified as motor carrier safety inspectors. I taught truck weight and MCS law at our academy. Over the years I weighed a lot of trucks. I also weighed a lot of RVs of various styles, not because of the law but because the RVers asked to be weighed to have their loading checked. Never ever saw any of them even come close to approaching max legal weights.
Simple answer to your question. The sticker on your truck is placed there by the manufacturer. It's like the tag on your mattress. It's required by law to tell the consumer what is in that product. After sales that sticker doesn't have to remain on the vehicle and there are a lot of vehicles legally on the road today which no longer has the sticker because of body repair, etc. The manufacturers do not make the laws. Think about this too. Do you think every Troop or weigh master out there has memorized what all the manufacturers stickers say on every style of truck made? Then toss into the mix 4X4 v 4X2, same model trucks but with different engines, same model trucks but with different axle ratings, or same model trucks but just different years. We don't care what the sticker says or even if there is a sticker. What the manufacturers put on that sticker is not law, it's just a to let the consumer know what that particular vehicle's design specs are. The max weight laws are generally 20K on a single axle, 34K on a tandum axle and gross is 80K. These are federally mandated limits. I say "generally" because gross depends on the bridge length of your vehicle (distance between the front and rear axle) and the number of axles. The 34K can also vary depending the distance between the tandum axles. It could be more. Weight limits may also be posted less than the max on certain roads.

As an RVer you don't have to worry about exceeding the 20K single axle, 34K tandum axle, and 80K gross. There's no way you are going to be anywhere close to any of those numbers. Think about it. On your 5er you put 16" E range tires on a 5K or 6K rated axle. Your suspension and tires wouldn't handle 20K or 34K loads. And no way are you getting anywhere close to 20K on the steer or drive axle on your pickup. Your Big Country doesn't even come close to approaching 34K on the tandums. Your entire rig is likely to be about 20K total. You could not load your 5er and 2500 with enough toys to get close to exceeding the weight limits.

I know we've gone over this a million times and we'll agree to disagree but we can clearly prove that the manufacturers sticker is a general guideline, does not reflect actual equipment on the truck and includes a fudge factor to reduce their liability. If it was truly dangerous to tow over the sticker it would be illegal. How many times have we seen Weekend Warrior change the GVWR sticker on a trailer because someone asks? My trailer is stickered at 16k but I would have no problem putting 18-19k in it. My Superglide hitch was recently re-stickered from 16k to 18k, no design change, it's the exact same hitch. Call Pullrite if you don't believe me. I went to buy a new hitch and they said it's the exact same hitch with a new sticker. Should I feel unsafe because I have an 18k hitch with a 16k sticker? My 06 Ford 250 had a GVWR of 10,000 pounds, the F350 has a GVWR of 11,500 pounds. What's the difference between an F250 and an F350? If you get the camper package with the overload spring, there is no difference. But I should I feel unsafe because of what the sticker says?

ou can't get a ticket for being overweight. There is no law in California or any other state that says you have to follow the weight guidelines on your door sticker. You can get a ticket in California for exceeding the weight ratings of your tires, because those numbers are DOT guidelines not just from the manufacturer. Not that anybody I know or have read about has gotten a ticket for being over their tire limits."

Just thought you guys would like to see this, I have been doing research on this for a while now as I am getting ready to start towing a 40' Ragen toy hauler that has a GVWR of 17000 and I wnated to make sure I got the truck that could do it.

-Bryan

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great post Fuknmovin. Finally a weight police officer chimes in. That should be made a sticky.
Tommorrow I am fuknmovin on to the mountains to drink some beer while I float my over-weight ass down the river.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks! I will be here more often as I am hopefully picking up my new (to me) 2003 D-max 4X4 CC SB 6"lift with 35's!! Woohoo! I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Great post Fuknmovin. Couple of questions.
Has your insurance company agreed to insure the over the sticker weight? How would you handle a denial of coverage after an accident?
One Canadian province and thier public insurance live and die on that sticker, on the truck and on the trailer. In our tort province there is a line or two in my insurance to the effect that the insurance is only valid when the vehicle is operated within the vehicle manufactures specs (door sticker again).

Also, how do we determine which componet is the weak link on our trucks. I have been told that the wheel rims are week spot on a stock 2500.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Superglide hitch difference

Fuknmovin,

Thanks for the info, but I believe it varies by state. In MD, I was told that the stickers are referenced. My Montana had the wrong stickers on it from the factory and it was a big deal to get them all changed. There was a procedure that had to be followed to make it all legal.

And someone is mistaken about the Superglide. My father has the 16k and I have the 18k. The assemblies are different. Even the adjusting bolt for preload is different (3/4 inch on his, 1 inch on mine).

·
Registered
628 Posts

Man I would like to know what axles you are running in your trucks. I have bent axles on of the big 3 manufactures trucks, but apparently you have found an axle that won't bend that I need to buy right away. I have blown tires and bent axles and hitches you start pullin the real weight stuff is goin to bend.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bigblock:
I am not over the limit of a 3500 dually. We are only talking fudging by a small amount. I tow maybe 300lbs over what the door says and I have upgraded my tires to handle it. If you have bent three axles and blown tires because your were over weight then you have alot to learn still. One axle or tire you should have learned your lesson but I see you dont learn. maybe you need a bigger truck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Turnpike, it's different in the States, and this wives tail has been spread way too many times. No insurance company is going to deny liability coverage because you are overweight. They pay claims on drunk drivers all the time and DRUNK DRIVING is illegal. People do stupid and illegal things every day, insurance still has to pay. If you run a red light, speed, these are violations of laws and therefore ILLEGAL. If you have an accident, they will still pay. May drop you, may jack your premiums to the point you cannot afford them, may even get lawyers involved to refuse to reimburse YOU for your loss if they can prove it, but the liability portion of your coverage will stay pay for any damage you cause to another party.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts