Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2500 d-max thinking it will tow 16k ish legal. my book says it will tow 12k legal. its a 06 lly cc 4x4 i posted this on the towing section as well, but thought i would get more hits here. my gas tows 2k lbs less. why do i see almost every 2500 d-max towing 35-40ft trailers knowing its over the 12k lb limit. or am i missing something. not even the 3500 cc d-max will tow over 12k from what my book says. the most is 3500 ext cab drw at 16.3k

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
The hitch "bumper towing" is 7500 straight pull, 12k with load handlers. I believe the 5er or gooseneck towing is 23k. Yes, i am over when pulling my mini-ex, the trailer/mini-ex weight a little over 11k but i drive it responsably since i have no load handlers. It tows just fine. My dump trailer tends to over weight too, again use caution.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I try not to pull no more than 2.5 times the weight of my truck as a good rull of thumb. So seeing how my truck weighs about 6,000lbs i will try to stay under 15,000lbs. I only pull goosenecks too. The trucks handle them much better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what is my limit towing 5th wheel and pull behind? 12k 5th wheel seens light but i could be wrong. ty again

·
Registered
349 Posts
You're Going To Wake Up The Weight Police On Here. I Tow A 38 Ft. 5er At 11500 Empty And 15500 Gvw. All In All You Need To Figure Your Pin Weight On The 5er To See Where The Over Weight Factor Comes In. My Truck With Tool Box 5th Wheel And 2 Pass. And 45 Gallons Of Fuel Comes To 7800 Lbs. So Legally I Can Put 1200 More Lbs. On The Truck Itself But I Alway Put More. You'll Get A Lot Of Different Ans. On Here But See What You Truck Weighs And Do The Math. The Hitch Can Be Upgraded To A Heavier One If Need Be For The Bumper Pull.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I would have to say the percentage is high on at least one of the limits. Just off hand Pay load 2351#, Maximum trailer weight 14,200#, GCVW 22,000#, GVWR 9200#, GAVR FRT. 4670#, GAWR RR 6084#. Pay load gets me 2351# then you have to subtract fuel 182# passengers 5x150# =750#, accessories, hitch, nerf bars, fold-a- cover ,wood. cooler 100#. Now my pay load is down to 1319# and my pin wieght on my 5er is 2500# so I'm at least 1181# over on pay load weight. Thinking about getting rid of the cooler, maybe not. There will be a post after mine on all of the other forums about legality and its good to bring up.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes

I think it is safe to say a lot of us are not just over weight but way over- My rig is and frankly I don't loose any sleep over it- Mostly because the Duramax and Allison don't seem to mind either :)

I laugh at all of the people who worry about a couple hundred pounds over hurting these trucks. I am in the several thousand pounds over on all of the numbers-

Please don't take this to mean I don't respect folks who stay within the limits- I wish I was.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
I try to stay under 2.5X what it's rated at :eek: ):h.
Don't get concerned unless you get over 20K and then I just say use caution and good judgement.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You have to watch you state laws for towing capacity/class of license too. Here in NY the laws contradict themselves with how much you can tow and what class license you need. This will also vary by the Officer who is writing your ticket too.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Not attempting to be a member of the weight police, but before I got my DMax, I had a Frd 250. Bought it new to tow with, followed their tow guide as both I and the RV dealer understood it, and then the trouble began. Severe front to back jerking while attempting to tow. RV dealer said many others were towing the same trailer with the same model truck with no problems. Took the problem to Frd and their answer was that I was 500 lbs over the GVWR of the truck and if I kept towing that trailer, they would void my warranty. To shorten the story, I traded the Frd with 4500 miles on it for the truck in my sig.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
limit? limit is what you make it to be in order to carry you and your family to a safe destination, i don't give a red ant's ass what the manufacture says, they always write sh*t to protect warrant isues. so if you trust your horse than run how how you like!!!!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Towing Weight

To evoorng's post. I seem to remember seeing GM towing guide at a dealer, that said a 2500HD Duramax "Gross Combination Weight Rating" GCWR is 22,000 lbs. Load your truck to the max of 9,200 (the door plate rating) and then you would be ok with a 12,800 trailer. If the trailer has a 13,800 plaque on it, I would suggest to weight it rigged, loaded and ready to go. You would have to have all the tanks full of water, take all your 100s of pounds of tools, the generator, and three weeks of food stuffs to get to 13,800. On a 13.8 rated trailer I usually weight in at about 11,500.

The greater challenge is to get the pin weight light enough to keep the truck within it's weight rating. The truck limit is harder to meet, the axle limits seem to be good. The driver axle limit is about 6000 lbs if I remember correctly. Check the door plate on your truck. I'm usually at 6,000 on the drive axle, 4000 on the front, 800-1000 over on the truck total. Nothing a bit of air bags doesn't take care of. Don't get too light on the pin or the trailer will wonder all over the road.

Touch wood.........never seem a highway weight scale sign call in recreational vehicles. But if your in a accident only the operator (driver) gets charged for have an unsafe vehicle on a public road.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
...16k on the 5ver...but make sure you get your non commercial class A if the 5vr your lookin at is a trip axle CHP is all over everyones ARSE with that right now muff hugga!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You may want to check the drivers license requirements for your home state/province, and the state/province of registration of the truck and trailer. Many only need a car type drivers license, while others may base requirement on weight or length, or number of vehicles in the combination. I'm not sure if the minimum requirements of some states/provinces would be accepted in California when just visiting.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The biggest thing I would watch for is your axle/tire weight limits. I drag around a 40' fiver that weighs 13k empty and dry. loaded and wet I can have 17.5k legal. And then there is the matter of the sea-doo's that I hook on the back of that. Fully loaded I am 26,000. But I am legal on all my axles and 3' short of being too long. And too long is over 75'. Its a heavy load, but all is well and I take my time. Its just the 7-9 mpg that hurts the most.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Load it up ready for a trip. Full fuel and all. Then stop at a truck stop weigh station and find out what each axle load is. You'll have proof in writing and peace of mind with the family on board.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I always go by weight per axle not GVW or GCWR because my truck is an 88 1ton it's GVW is only 9200 pounds and the truck weighs more than that with the welder and flatbed and a full tank. I am more worried about bendinig that old dana 70 than I am of anything else, and breaking the rear sping perches off the frame has been a problem for me I have had to weld then mount back on the factory rivits couldn't handle what the rest of the truck could. I just drive as safe as possible. Hopefully no-one readinig this has seen "HOW TO BREAK A TRUCK" in truck uses because that is what happens when you are overloaded bad and then throw a temper tantrem you just have to respect your load and let your truck do it's thing.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Don't worry about that D70HD. I asume you're refering to an old style 88 1ton? We have one with a lengthened frame,14' flatbed and it almost daily hauls 4500-5000lbs around the ranch,all winter long. Haven't bent or broken anything from the cab back,just ahead of the cab :rolleyes:.

I always go by weight per axle not GVW or GCWR because my truck is an 88 1ton it's GVW is only 9200 pounds and the truck weighs more than that with the welder and flatbed and a full tank. I am more worried about bendinig that old dana 70 than I am of anything else, and breaking the rear sping perches off the frame has been a problem for me I have had to weld then mount back on the factory rivits couldn't handle what the rest of the truck could. I just drive as safe as possible. Hopefully no-one readinig this has seen "HOW TO BREAK A TRUCK" in truck uses because that is what happens when you are overloaded bad and then throw a temper tantrem you just have to respect your load and let your truck do it's thing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I tow a 34' 5er that is 10,000 lbs dry. I asked the dealer about limits. They looked out at my truck and laughed. They thought it funny that I was worried about overloading anything when I had a Duramax sitting outside.

I've not had any trouble in a year of use, so I guess all is well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts