Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know whether to put this in OEM or aftermarket, cause i have an SC4..

But just tonight my tranny started howling like a manual-tranny car going in reverse? Do you know the sound im talking about? I got a video of it and you can clearly hear the sound. It howls if you rev it up in neutral too. BUT if you put it in neutral at speed and shut off the engine, its silent. Only when you rev up the engine...so it seems like something on the "input" side of the trans.

Eric or Mike where are you guys?? Im really starting to get worried. It shifts fine, acts normal, is fine in boosted launches and beating on it, but it just howls. Not LOUD, but enough to concern me...

Posting the video up will probably take forever for it to be optimized, so either Mike or Eric can I email you the video clip or something? I know im just gonna have a lump in my throat until I find out what it is...

--Ben

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one other thing I did notice.

If Im going 60 mph, put it in neutral and rev it, the howl goes up and down WITH the engine...so it seems like a part of the trans that IS being turned by the engine when in neutral... any ideas?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Well Ben it wont be easy to diagnose.

How is the fluid ,looks and temps? How much of the Pump did you disassemble?

First thing your going to have to do is get that special fitting and check main line pressure I would assume.

It sucks when crap goes wrong ,good luck

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tranny ACTS completely fine, shifts perfectly, cranks em off in Tow/Haul like it always does, pulls hard when I roll into it in 5th gear.

It just makes a damn howling like the wind.

Temps are fine. Fluid looks fine and is at correct level.

I had to pull the pump all apart because I had to install the new bell housing. Its been fine for 2,000 miles...I thought I was home free.. Censored

--Ben

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
front pump maybe?

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats all I can think of.

The ONLY other thing it could possibly be is my valve body spacer plate. Becuase I drilled/enlarged one of the WRONG holes for the TransGo kit. I talked to Mike and he said it wont affect it, but it night "buzz" slightly in neutral, and it might not. Other than that I havent the foggiest idea what it could be... :confused:

arrghh I hope its not the pump....I cant really afford to pull the trans and fix this, because I didnt anticipate this cost. Frikkin ~600 dollars for R&R last time. Is it fine? Can I just live with it?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Well Ben it wont be easy to diagnose.

How much of the Pump did you disassemble?

First thing your going to have to do is get that special fitting and check main line pressure I would assume.

It sucks when crap goes wrong ,good luck

:exactly:

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what could go wrong with the pump? its just a ring gear and another thing that spins inside it! Looks simple to me...go figure. just my luck. Anyone wanna replace a pump for cheap? cause im not tearin' that damn thing apart again. :banghead:

EDIT: sorry...this one just put me in a really bad mood...

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I dunno Ben perhaps something wasn't lined up? I can't see it being something else the way it whines in neutral but let Mike and Joe hear it and give their perspective

·
Registered
593 Posts
if i was closer ben i would be glad to help. did you call mike at work i think eric is out of town right now.do you have mikes cell if not i might have it.let me know if you need it.
rob

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nah I thought about calling Mike or Eric's cell but its late...ill give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
ben it's only 6:50 here

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahh forgot about that....rob could you please PM me Mike's cell #? Ill give him a call in the morning

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i'm not an expert in any regards to this, but for your safety and the safety of your truck i would do as little driving as you have to in that. that sounds horrible, especially when the camera was under the truck and you revved it in park

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, I'm out a steak dinner.

Ben, blue dont always go up on the bearings.
AHHHH I breathed a sigh of releif when I saw "last person replied: DMAXALLITECH"

Im POSITIVE the bearings all went in correctly. I triple checked them against correct orientation with the service manual. It definetly sounds like its coming from the front part of the trans. like really close to the engine. If I put those bearins in wrong, why would it be fine for 2500 mile and eff up now?

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SH*T Eric i jsut thought of something!!!!!!!

Do you have a second right now? Can I call your cell? if not thats totally ok

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
:(

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Are you sure it's not your turbo? That is what Casper sounded like from what I can tell from the video before the turbo went.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.