Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted the Prodigy using the two exisiting holes, which I'm sure if I like. It sticks out pretty far.

But anyways, I'm getting pissed off that I can't find the factory pigtail under the dash where it plugs in. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Of course the owners manual is useless (Have installed by professional). Umm I can plug in a harness if you tell me where it is!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think there is a black box to the left of the brake pedal on the inside of the firewall.It has a knob on it.Remove cover,and the plug is there.That's where it is on my 04.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I think there is a black box to the left of the brake pedal on the inside of the firewall.It has a knob on it.Remove cover,and the plug is there.That's where it is on my 04.
That is correct... 10mm plastic nut and the plastic cover comes off. Prodigy supplied harness plugs in there.

Kind of annoying to me... when I want to stretch out my left leg, I hit that box with my left foot.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I got it. That is the dumbest setup ever.

Ford 1 - GM 0

Why not just put a pigtail next to the ALDL like the Fords? OR at least explain where the the thing is! I noticed on the factory harness that comes in the glovebox there is a picture pointing to the left foot well but its not clear and doesn't say anything about having to remove a cover.

When you get the cover off there are still what looks like 4 places for it to plug in, again no labels nothing. It seemed like it would only fit in one of them but they do look the same.

I took the little pocket thing off and I used the bracket to attach it to the dash and its much better and goes back farther.

Why is it powered up with the key off? :blahblah:

Also, Im guessing because I have dual batteries I don't need to install the fuse?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
A ford superduty is much harder to find then our trucks.

I think our truck is actually in a very convient location.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

Also, Im guessing because I have dual batteries I don't need to install the fuse?
You do need to install the fuse if you want power in the rear plug.

The Brake control is supposed to be powered up with the key off. That way you still have brakes if someone reaches over and shuts the key off or if something fails. Ford and Dodge are the same as well.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Thanks I got it. That is the dumbest setup ever.

Ford 1 - GM 0

Why not just put a pigtail next to the ALDL like the Fords? OR at least explain where the the thing is! I noticed on the factory harness that comes in the glovebox there is a picture pointing to the left foot well but its not clear and doesn't say anything about having to remove a cover.

When you get the cover off there are still what looks like 4 places for it to plug in, again no labels nothing. It seemed like it would only fit in one of them but they do look the same.

I took the little pocket thing off and I used the bracket to attach it to the dash and its much better and goes back farther.

By powered up, are you talking about the two dots? They go out after a few minutes.

I thought my instructions were pretty straight forward, meaning I had no problems finding the box and which socket it goes into. Others have had the locating problems also... Maybe different models have "lack-luster" instructions???

Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A ford superduty is much harder to find then our trucks.

I think our truck is actually in a very convient location.
I shared a brake controller with a buddy that has an 04 F350PSD and I had an 03 F150 Lightning. The connector, well it was a pigtail was right there under the dash. Took 2 seconds to hook and unhook.

Anyways, it appears to be done. Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
On an 04 and older power stroke is is not 'right there' under the dash unless it was removed from its clip and moved. It is actually pretty difficult to plug in. I install several brake controls a month on PSD's and I have yet to see one that is different.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do need to install the fuse if you want power in the rear plug.

The Brake control is supposed to be powered up with the key off. That way you still have brakes if someone reaches over and shuts the key off or if something fails. Ford and Dodge are the same as well.
Hmm... ok where does that go? Maybe I'm missing something here. Page 4-93 in the owners manual is all I see about en electronic brake controller and all it says is

"This Harness is included with your vehicle as part of the HD trailer wiring package.

This harness is for an electric brake controller and includes a trailer battery feed fuse. It should be installed by your dealer or qualified service center"

Well.. Thats helpfull. NOT

The pigtail in the glovebox says...

4)Do one of the following
1) For vehicles without the TP2 option (auxillary battery) plug in the 40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse in the stud #1 location or the UH electrical center.

2)For vehicles with the TP2 option (auxillary battery): discard the 40A B+ Trailering J-Case Fuse - It is not needed.

Well, I have 2 batteries in the truck. Where is "stud #1 OR UH electrical Center? UH = Underhood?

There 10 pages explaining how to work a seatbealt but they can't just tell you where things are? :rant:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On an 04 and older power stroke is is not 'right there' under the dash unless it was removed from its clip and moved. It is actually pretty difficult to plug in. I install several brake controls a month on PSD's and I have yet to see one that is different.
Hmm I dunno, I lay on my back and its right there, it points to one side of the truck. Sure is easier than taking a cover off and then not clearly stating where its supposed to go.

:rant:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I can't believe you typed all that LOL.

In the under hood fuse panel there will be a shunt in the very front passenger side corner. Remove the shunt and put the fuse there. The owners manual assumes you don't have a diesel since there is a diesel supplement. I know its confusing but you need to put that fuse in if you want power in your rear plug. The brake control will work without it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Hmm I dunno, I lay on my back and its right there, it points to one side of the truck. Sure is easier than taking a cover off and then not clearly stating where its supposed to go.

:rant:
Trust me on an 04 powerstroke you need to remove the dash cover then plug it in a very awkward place. If the one you saw was different it was either and F150 or it was moved or perhaps a newer (05+) power stroke. I am not lying or making it up to make GM's sound better I am just stating the facts from the 100's of power strokes I have installed brake controllers in over the years.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't believe you typed all that LOL.

In the under hood fuse panel there will be a shunt in the very front passenger side corner. Remove the shunt and put the fuse there. The owners manual assumes you don't have a diesel since there is a diesel supplement. I know its confusing but you need to put that fuse in if you want power in your rear plug. The brake control will work without it.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I work in IT, I type 9 billion words a min. It took me 2 seconds :)

P.S. I'll take a picture of the plug next time I'm over there and you can tell me what I'm smoking. :)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out. I work in IT, I type 9 billion words a min. It took me 2 seconds :)

P.S. I'll take a picture of the plug next time I'm over there and you can tell me what I'm smoking. :)
I'd like to see that pic, if its different then OEM I will show you a pic of where it is supposed to be.

I only type 77wpm so I guess you got me beat but quite a few million wpm ;)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hmm... ok where does that go? Maybe I'm missing something here. Page 4-93 in the owners manual is all I see about en electronic brake controller and all it says is

"This Harness is included with your vehicle as part of the HD trailer wiring package.

This harness is for an electric brake controller and includes a trailer battery feed fuse. It should be installed by your dealer or qualified service center"

Well.. Thats helpfull. NOT

The pigtail in the glovebox says...

4)Do one of the following
1) For vehicles without the TP2 option (auxillary battery) plug in the 40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse in the stud #1 location or the UH electrical center.

2)For vehicles with the TP2 option (auxillary battery): discard the 40A B+ Trailering J-Case Fuse - It is not needed.

Well, I have 2 batteries in the truck. Where is "stud #1 OR UH electrical Center? UH = Underhood?

There 10 pages explaining how to work a seatbealt but they can't just tell you where things are? :rant:
Gassers have an "auxillary battery"
Diesels have "Dual batteries":rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts