Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to purchase a new CC LB LT at the end of the month...

Just found this site the other day, I've been reading, and trying to follow along. I don't wanna be the typical newbis asking the dumb questions everyone hates answering(i'm a forum moderator of my car club here in sacramento) catching on to the "lingo"(abbrevations)

First off I'm a car nut..... can't help but mod every vehicle I own!!! I have a 72 k-5 that runs high 13's a 71c-10 SWB that runs mid 12's and a 99 Camaro SS that runs 12.00's(gonna spray it in spring, going for 11.50-11.00's) lol guess you could say I'm an addict!!

first what are the different motor codes I'm reading about... LLY?? LB7?? somthing I should look for or wait for??

I keep seeing terms like attitude adjustment, juice and hot juice, what is all that about? (juice in my world is Nitrous so I'm trying to figure out what you all are talking about)

I have plans to mod this new truck..... can't help it.

I drive a peterbilt and haul heavy equipment by day, but this will be my first diesel pickup. so I do understand diesels and deal with them on a regular basis but the d-max is going to be new to me.

GUIDANCE IS NEEDED!!!! the what to do's and what NOT to do's please

and what is the power programmer of choice?? I heard of one by TTS making a big gain and getting a d-max to run 12.78 with nothing other than the software change.... thats impressive... or is it??

give me all the basics you can think of....

a pic of my SS.....

Edited by: QuikSSilver

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry the post was so long...... TIA!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello and welcome. the lly is an upgaded version of the lb7. lb7 came with 300 horses and 520 tq. lly comes with 310 horses and 590 tq. juice , hot juice are power programers. the juice w/ attitued seems in general concecus to be the most liked and used. start reading the forum for fuel concerns. be sure to check out guages (egt&boost).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice, thanks.... thats a good start..... I'm trying to browse been on several hours just tonight.

any info is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Here's what I understand so far (waiting for delivery of a LLY).

Many mods specific to the LB7 build won't work on the LLY due to a new PCM. If you are in a hurry to mod it, stick to the LB7.

Mods are:

"Chips" - intercepts the injector signal to increase the fuel injected.

Programmers upload new data tables to the PCM to alter the injection events.

Fuel line pressure devices increase fuel injected.

Exhaust relieves backpressure for modified engines.

Intakes.

Pyrometer is a must to avoid engine damage.

Nitrous works different on a diesel, but it does work. It's safer than spraying a gas motor.

Propane will increase power, but too much will damage the engine.

The trans will be the first thing to give you trouble if you drag race it. Good aftermarket rebuilds are readily available.

Just stuff I read. Will try some of it out soon.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The new LLY engine has redesigned heads that place the injectors outside of the valve covers for ease of replacement....

The new LLY also has the same turbocharger (Garrett) as the 6.0 Powerstroke. It's a hydraulically controlled variable geometry turbo that spools up faster at low rpms to give more power down lower. The LB7 has a regular wastgated turbo (IHI).

The new LLY has cooled EGR which means some exhaust gases are rerouted to a small radiator cooled by the engine cooling system and introduced back into the combustion chamber. Reduces NOX.... pollution device.

The new LLY has 310hp and 590tq at 1600 rpm. The torgue increase is significant and probably due to the new turbo. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
QuikSSilver is in Sacramento so the EGR issue is also present on the LB7 hear in California. If I had to buy again, I'd go LLY just because we have Cal emissions anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts