·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, heres what i have tested and what i have done, and she still wont start

1) put the proper amount of 911 in the fuel
2) Replaced primary fuel filter
3) Filled filter 50/50 with 911 and diesel
4) Check glow plugs with test light connected to the positive terminal, all 8 lite up the test light bright
5) Checked the wires from the glow plugs, all 8 lite up
6) Connected the test lite to negative battery post and to 1 glow plug wire, and it turned on and off with the click of the GP relay, turned on for about 10 seconds the first time, then clicked on for 2-3 and off for like 5
7) Disconnected the pink wire on the injection pump sol. and could hear a very quiet noise, sounded like it was working

whats next?!

I tried to get one of the hard lines to the injectors undone to check for fuel but it was so rusted it was just bending the hardline as it turned.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
if you have fuel and glow plugs i guess the next step being you cant break a line loose would to see how fast is it cranking over.? still would like to confirm fuel getting thru the injection pump. how about a little heat on the inj. line fitting.?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i unscrewed the thing on the top of the primary, and fuel wasn't coming out even after a few cranks of like 10 sec. Then i took the "out" line off and no fuel was coming out. But im kinda confused on all the fuel systems. There seems to be what looks like a stock electric pump thats mounted on the front of the passanger side, and you can hear it wurring anytime the car is "on"....the "in" line to the primary filter looks like its coming straight from the back, so this would make sense as to no fuel coming out if the pump is infront of that and working as a puller. Can someone please explain?

·
Banned
671 Posts
what year is it,

on 1982 aND 1983 the primary is on the suction side of the pump, and if u open it you are sucking air into the fuel lines

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an 83'

but i thought it was supposed to have a mech. pump, but the electric one in the pic looks stock?

·
Banned
671 Posts
it should be a mechanical pump, and the primary filter is on the suction side of the pump

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so an electric pump was installed. I pulled the "out" line and let her run for a little while and filled a dixy cup with what now looks like fresh clean diesel. So i know i have glow, and i know i have fuel coming through the primary and pump, so it has to be somewhere between the lift pump and the motor. So, now i just need to get it bled up to the IP, since it was running earlier i can assume the IP and injectors are working, and just needs to be bled? Too bad i dont have an air compressor. Any suggestions? is there a bleeder on the IP?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you can't or don't want to crack the lines loose , can you get the glow plugs out ? This will allow you to spin the engine over faster and prime the fuel system . When you get a " misting " out of the holes , you have fuel at the injectors .

·
Banned
671 Posts
how i bled a 83 blazer, was i pulled allthe glow plugs, and cracked the injector lines loose

·
Registered
671 Posts
with the 12v pump priming is easy.

i couldn't tell from the pic. is the pump before or after the filter?

if you have a screw type primary filter you shoud have a secondary filter mounted to the back of the intanke. just loosen the "out" line and turn the ignition to run "don't try to start". run the pump untill all the air is purged.

if its a box type filter there isn't a secondary filter, just loosen the out line at the primary filter. do the same as above.

don't worry about air in the lines after the filter. the IP will pump any air out after a few 3-5 second cranking sessions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts