Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of oil are you using in your dmax? are you going synthics?

thanks patrick

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super because I like Mobil products. The important thing is to use an oil that meets the requirements for our diesel engines. There are several good quality brands on the market that meet the requirements listed in the owners manual. You should give the engine time to "break-in" before going with a syn oil and I think most will agree that around 5000 miles should be sufficient. Consider changing your oil frequently while it is new and "breaking-in" as this will help eliminate some of the silica that is found in our engines as a result of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 during the summer. Shell Rotella synthetic 5W-40 during the winter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mobil one delvac (synthetic). Started using it at 7000 mi.

·
Registered
403 Posts
At 7000, installed Amsoil Series 3000 5W30 synthetic heavy duty diesel oil and their remote dual oil fiter kit. Kit combines 1 ea of very large oil filters, full flow and bypass.

Amsoil tests show this oil has a higher film strength {as indicated by a 4 ball wear test and size of wearscar} than any of the other synthetic or dino oils available, albeit 5W30, 5W40, or 15W40.

A conversation with lubrication tech @ Amsoil concerning which viscosity to use {Amsoil also has a 15W40 syn} arrived at a consensus that since I do quite a bit of cold start, short trip driving around town, with an ocassional highway trip at speeds to 80, and a few trips a year with TT approx 5000#.

He suggested that I start out with 5W30, and watch for oil consumption and hot idle oil pressure. He made this suggestion because he felt that with the superior film strength and quick oil circulation at cold starts and short trips, that I would have the best of both worlds. That is if there was no problem with hot idle pressure or excessive consumption.

Amsoil now has 4000 miles, including 1 3000 mile trip with the TT. Level still right @ full and oil pressure @ hot idle 25-30psi.

All I can say is I'm pleased so far, and with winter almost here, I'll be even better off with the 5W30.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've been using Mobil Delvac 1 since about 2,200 miles. A bit pricey, but excellent quality.

TC

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shell Rotella 15-40wt

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been using Shell Rotella Synthetic (5w-40) since the first oil change (~4000 miles). It is one of the least expensive of the synthetics (probably since it is from a highly refined petroleum basestock). I get it at Walmart for $12.84/gal. I will probably switch to Mobil Delvac 1 (which I believe is the better synthetic) after a couple of oil changes...and all the manufacturing "leftovers" are out of my engine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Chevron Delo.....Its been giving diesel engines 100's of thousands of miles for years....Why argue with that ? No need for high priced synthetic oils in these trucks, IMO...BUT...its your money

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rotella 5 W 40 Synthetic - will stick with it - heavy hauling and stays clean for the first 3,000 miles - change it at about 5,000 miles

Walmart makes it cheap and worthwhile

have used it since 1000 miles - have 15,000 heavy towing juiced miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. Only one oil change so far and that was at 750 miles.

I'll stick with that for a few changes then go syn of some kind, probably Mobil 1 Delvac.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, guys why not try Caterpillar oil with SAE rating of 15w-40 and API rating of CI-4. This (CI-4) is the current rating of oil in the industry today.

·
Registered
156 Posts
@ 7200 miles just did the first change this weekend with Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 and installed Amsoil dual filter system. Will probably switch to Amsoil synthetic when I run out current stock of Chevron Delo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just switched over to Schaeffer 7000 Supreme 15/40, so far I really like it, will know more after the next O/A.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
First Rotella 15w-40. Now Amsoil 15w-40.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rotella 15w-40 for me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
First change to Delvac 1300 at 2600 miles. May switch to Amsoil 15W40 Synthetic Blend, as it is API approved.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Del0 400 15w-40. Good Oil. Been using it since first oil change...

LAter

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've run mostly Rotella-T 15W40. I've also run Rotella syn 5W40. Been running Mobil Delvac 1300 last two changes, just to keep AVLube on their toes!
Will be changing back to Rotella 5W40 soon on my 75,000 mile service for the Winter months. Will probably be going to Mobil Delvac One year round when I clean out the hodge-podge inventory of oil in the garage (although I've been tempted to try the Schaeffer oil after seeing it in Grand Rapids).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts