Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully it's OK to post this here (mods if it's not let me know-- I couldn't post it in the "do it yourself" forum.

This install took a couple of hours and was relatively easy. I'm not sure that this install would apply to all trucks, but should work for those like mine. No leaks after 3 days and the oil pressure is the same as before. No funny noises or vibration. Oil capacity increased approximately two quarts. The only word of caution I can offer is don't get carried away tightening the compression fittings (JIC fittings).

Overall view. From behind.

Bracket mounting. Approximately under driver's feet. Floor rib drilled and tapped for 3/8"x3/4"-16 flange bolts (went back and installed some nutserts - more secure) used Loctite. 1/8" sheet neoprene used for vibration stopper.

Front view.

Top view tilted towards front of truck. Will tilt towards rear for oil sampling.

Eye level bottom view. Sits higher than tranny pan and I don't do a lot of harsh off road so should be OK. Could be mounted horizontal for more clearance.

OEM filter adapter. Used Rector Seal 5 on ALL fittings (except JIC).

Lines. The far line goes to the OEM filter adapter (feed).The close line goes to the drain plug adapter (return).

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Looks Great.........

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If I'm reading the picts correctly won't the oil drain forward right into the skid plate the way the drain plug is positioned pointed forward?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir it will. I'll have to remove the skid plate for the oil change. I'm not too keen on the return adapter, you only have two ports to choose from, so i'll be having one made that will allow for Fumoto use and will have 4 ports.

Josh

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
GMCSLEHD, I knew the draining would be a problem as I too have had the Oil Guard bypass setup installed for the last 6 months. I just removed it at the last oil change so I can re-think want I want to do for the few problems I see with the system. I too don't like the return setup into the oil pan. It's fine until you need to change oil. I'm also waiting for the newly released OEM oil filter mount adapter as this appears to be an improvement to the 90 degree tee fitting way up on the oil filter mount. I also want to change to braided hoses and will reinstall the system once I figure out a better set to the oil drain adapter. Until then I'm back running a single Baldwin filter and Delvac 1.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tophog I think you'll like the oil filter adapter, seems like it's well constructed and gives you three ports to choose from. I've got a machinist working on a new return plug, i'll let you know how it turns out -- I just wonder why OilGuard didn't make a more practical one from the getgo.

Oh, and please let me know what other problems you're thinking of (like maybe not be able to get all the old oil out without disconnecting lines?)

JoshEdited by: GMCSLEHD

·
Registered
841 Posts
GMCSLEHD,
I was wondering if you bought any additional fittings for your install. You have an elbow at the oil pan drain plug. Mine came with a straight fitting for this location. I am assuming that all of the drain pans have the threads tapped identically. If they are then the 2 ports on the drain plug will be oriented the same way yours is. To avoid a loop in the return line to the oil pan then you would NEED this elbow.
Mine is not installed yet so I am glad I saw yours first....Also, my drain plug looks the same as yours but it is black annodized. Is yours plain steel? And do you remember if the threads on your drain plug had threads all the way down to the head of the nut? My plug's threads stop a millimeter or so short of the hex head...
And with regards to your comment about not overtightening the JIC fittings, can you elaborate? Thanks, SPICER

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPICER the fittings shown are the ones that came with the kit, I didn't buy any additional fittings.

I'm positive the oil plug adapter is black anodized, maybe i's just the lighting in the pic.

As far as not overtightening the JIC fittings, if you've made 3/4 revolution past finger tight you're almost there. I tried 1 1/4 turns on the first one and cocked the fitting. Luckily I was able to loosen it and re-tighten it with no damage (thought for sure I broke it) and no leaks.

There was a gap between the end of the threads on the nipple and the body but that is taken up if you use the copper washer from the OEM drain plug. I'm an idiot and forgot to use it, but it still doesn't leak and seals tight to the pan.

Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
Josh,

Nice job! Your installation looks great!

If you decide to make a few extra oil pan adapters for a fumoto valve I would be interested in buying one. I would also be willing to chip in toward the initial design & set-up cost. OilGuard was also working on a new pan return fitting with a valve but I haven't heard anything more about it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thank You GMCSLEHD, Mine is all ready to go including a custom bracket. I made a template and had a welder make it. It will mount to the frame essentially where yours is, a little closer to the OE filter.

It appears that mine did not come with an elbow for the plug adapter. I have a straight one and with the ports oriented as yours are my return line will be awkward with a straight fitting. HOWEVER, if your picture is with the brass washer missing, this could make a difference! I will have one on hand just in case. I want to run the return line across the frame cross-member in that little gully.

Did you prefill the filter? Did you use a vise to hold the full flow filter adapter while installing the elbow and plugs also? THANKS!!!
SPICER

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jbplock here's a sketch (I know it's rough) of the adapter I have a machinist working on for me. We decided to go with 1-1/8" steel because he uses a lot of it for PTO's (cheap for me). I know it's steel and not hexagonal but those just increase the cost. An open end wrench or 8-point socket will tighten it just fine. It's also a bit longer to allow for tightening with fittings installed. Let me know what you think. Oh, and if it works, the machinist said he could make more.

SPICER if you wan't a 90deg. fitting Napa usually has Wetherheads for $2-$3. Your bracket sounds like a good idea--good and solid. Yes I prefilled the filter canister about 1/2-2/3 full and none spilled out. I didn't use a vice on the full flow adapter (had a good enough grip by hand), just the drain plug adapter.

Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
Josh,

Your design looks good.
From the sketch and your previous description, is it correct that the adapter will have two 14mm-1.5 ports and two 1/4 NPT ports that are oriented 90 degrees to the pan drain hole such that you will be able to have one port connected to the return line that faces the drives side and a fumoto that points to the ground (with plugs in the unused ports)? Did I get it right?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill,

Yup, that's the idea. With two of each, you have a better chance to get at least one of the oriented close to where you want it.

Josh

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just center-bore the adapter and tap it to accept the fumoto on the OEM design angle of the drain (essentially making the adapter a "tee") and hose into the side in one hole?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idle_Chatter by doing that you would essentially block off the return fitting and run into interference with the return fitting and plug. There's no "meat" to work with.

Josh

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Not to beleague the point, but isn't there over an inch of "meat" in that sketch? As I recall, my Fumoto only had about 5/8 to 3/4 inch of threads - not important, just asking because I would personally prefer not to deal with rotational positioning issues and working at 90 degree angles against the pan to open/close the Fumoto.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just center-bore the adapter and tap it to accept the fumoto on the OEM design angle of the drain (essentially making the adapter a "tee") and hose into the side in one hole?

My only fear in doing this, is it would lower the fumoto closer to the ground.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Idle_Chatter the botton of the return fitting and plug are 1/8" from the bottom of the drain plug adapter, both are 1/8"npt so once you thread even a 1/2" up in there you've blocked them off. The Fumoto threads are a a little over 1/2"dia. and the drain plug adapter is only 1" side-side, which would also present a clearance problem when tightening the fittings ( most likely they would touch the Fumoto). Trust me, if I thought it would work, I'd save the money on machining a different fitting and use the one it came with.

Oh, and would ya please let me know where you got the band clamps for your muffler (considering straight pipe). Thanks!

JoshEdited by: GMCSLEHD

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
GMCSLEHD:

I just ordered a oilguard kit a week ago. When I go to install it, I see that your kit mounted vertically. I've noticed that some kits are mounted horizintally, so you can't pre-fill the filter?

Did you modify your kit or does the kit allow you to mount it either way?

It sure would be nice to mount vertically like you have it, so i don't have to wait 2 minutes for oil to hit the engine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TommJr you can mount it either way (no modifications). If you look at the 4th pic down you can see i tipped it for the pic. There are two serrated flange bolts that go through the mounting bracket into the filter head. When they're loose the filter housing and head will pivot, when there tight it's held solidly in position. IIRC, I pre-filled the filter housing about 1/2-2/3 full and none came out (filter itself occupies some of the housing).

Josh

1 - 20 of 39 Posts