Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used K&N filters on my gas burners but now that I have my DMax I dunno? I have read too many things about passing fine dirt with the cotton filters. My first modification to my DMax was a K&N until I read the negative info. If anyone feels confident about the cotton filter, hold it up to the light.

One more thing...why does cummins say no oiled filter?

SmokeyMax

·
Registered
394 Posts
The UNI oiled foam has proven to be an excellent air flower and dirt filter. And yes, by all means, replace the K&N ASAP... I believe you have several sources for the UNI with site supporters.
George

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
what if i have afe and someone else has my stock airbox?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George,

I only ran my K&N for 1,000 miles before I went back to the paper. I had a 97 1500 that has had a K&N in it from day one. My fater-in-law still drives it with 197,000 miles and no problems to date (original everything!!!)

Do we have any hard data on the UNI and if so, how is it different from K&N-AFE etc.?

Thanks,

SmokeyMax

·
Registered
394 Posts
In some cases the K&N works fairly well. However, in some environments, some installations, it may not...
Visualize a spec of dirt traveling at over 100 mph (which it does in a turbo charged diesel engine). I am sure you have held your K&N up to the light: you can see through it!
There is no tackifier made that will reach out and capture that particule traveling that fast. Period. Which is why, from my experience, paper or quality oiled foam can provide superior dirt protection.
As indicated, oiled gauze works absolutely keeping bricks and birds out of one'se engine..
Paper and high quality oiled foam work 100% at keeping all the dirt spectrum out of one's engine. And there are many on this site who have done the $$100+ oil analysis to include particle count, ferrography to confirm that performance..

George

·
Registered
183 Posts
IIRC, there was some dyno testing a year or so ago that showed similar HP/TQ numbers, regardless of whether one uses an oiled foam, oiled cotton gauze, the stock paper filter, or even an open airbox? With that in mind, the oiled foam or the OEM filter seem like the best choices if they are shown to be the best at overall filtering.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
well is there a papre or oiled foam filter to fit the afe intake?

·
Registered
747 Posts
chevmeister said:

You may want to check the UNI website. http://www.unifilter.com/index.htm

They have some filters that are similar in shape to the afe. I am not sure about the size though. The ones I saw were universal type filters. I think they were in the automotive section.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
chevmeister said:

I will be getting it touch with unifilter to see what they have to offer in yours and my applications ( i have K&N). If they can't help us, in there ascessories sec they have bulk foam to let us make like a pre cleaner out of there filter marerial and we can have 2 filters in one. I have you book marked and will stay in touch

Geno

1 - 9 of 9 Posts