Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Who's using what? Any oils better than others for the D-max?</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40 until I hit 10,000, then I'll switch to Delvac 1 5W-40.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Shell Rotella 15W-40.Thats all I have ever used in my diesel vehicles.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mobil Delvac Synthetic 5w 40 ....

The diesel engine perferred lube ....
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=760>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
<A name=ProductDeionTitle></A>Product Description
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is a supreme performance, fully synthetic commercial engine oil that provides unsurpassed lubrication including better fuel economy, long drain capability, and extended engine life for today's diesel engines operating in severe applications. The state-of-the-art technology behind this product delivers exceptional performance in modern high output, low emission engines including refrigerated units as well as older well-maintained engines. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the trucking, mining, construction, and agricultural industries. It is also suitable for gasoline service in mixed diesel/gasoline fleets.

The unsurpassed performance capabilities of Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders combined with the latest engine lubrication engineering. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the most current API, ACEA, JASO, and global diesel engine oil industry specifications and those of virtually all major American, European, and Japanese engine manufacturers as well.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 has all the advantages of an SAE 40 weight oil without the higher oil consumption inherent in multigrade oils that use very light base stocks to achieve low temperature performance. Because of the unique molecular structure of the advanced base stocks used, combined with a highly responsive additive system, Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is not as volatile in the high temperature ring-belt area of the pistons of turbocharged engines, provides stronger lubrication film strength at higher temperatures, and low temperature performance reducing oil consumption and wear while improving fuel economy.

<A name=FeaturesAdvantageBenefitsTitle></A>Features & Benefits
Modern high output, low emission diesel engines generate higher levels of soot and run hotter than older naturally aspirated engines which significantly increases the demands on engine lubricants. Current tighter engine designs reduce oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Top piston rings are located higher bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber where temperatures increase thermal stress on the lubricant. Higher fuel injector pressure and retarded timing improve control of exhaust emissions, but also increase engine temperatures and increase soot loads in engines operating with exhaust gas recirculation. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 can provide satisfactory lubrication at temperatures significantly higher than the upper limit for other extra high performance diesel engine oils. It is also fully compatible with conventional oils. The key benefits include:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 bgColor=#cccccc>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top bgColor=#e8f4ff aling="left">

Features</TD>
<TD vAlign=top bgColor=#e8f4ff aling="left">

Advantages and Potential Benefits</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Optimum thermal and oxidation stability</TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature varnish deposits</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Enhanced TBN Quality Reserve</TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Deposit control and extended drain intervals</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Inherent stay-in-grade shear stability</TD>
<TD vAlign=top

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">OK sounds good, now how much a quart for the Mobil Delvac 5w-40?</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
RAREBU M-80 said:
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on"><T>
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">OK sounds good, now how much a quart for the Mobil Delvac 5w-40?</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Quart ?? You need 2.5 gallons .... If you can't find locally Avlube sells it,click his banner ....

http://www.prod.exxonmobil.com/channelpartners/mn_distributor_directory.jsp

Mac

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Thanks, just wondering the cost. </TD></TR>

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 with the GM AC Delco filter.

I get the oil in 2.5 gal jugs at Tractor Supply for $16.95 per jug.

The filters I get at Advance Auto for $7.95 ea.

Not bad an oil change for 25 dollars and change.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion or comment on rotela 5w-40 syn ?? I am currently using AMSOIL 15w-40. will gm ok the use of 5w-40? comments??? AkDually61

·
Registered
939 Posts
GM recommends 5w-40 for colder temps, so there is no problem there. I use Delo 15w-40. Sorry I have no info to give on Rotella 5w-40...

Bob

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used a variety of lubes in my DMax so far. Mostly Rotella-T 15W40. Have been using the Rotella 5W40 "semi-syn" for cold weather for the last couple of years, have it in the truck now. I've also run a couple of changes on Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 and gotten some good analysis results on all the oils. I'm planning on running the Rotella 5W40 until warm weather and I have at least one more change of Rotella 15W40 and Mobil Delvac 1300 "stockpiled." Once I get through that, I'm planning on running Mobil Delvac 1 or Schaeffer's 7000 15W40 as a year-round lube.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I bought some Rotella T synthetic 5W40 and noticed it is rated CH-4 not CI-4 like the regular Rotella T 15W40. So I went to the Shell web site and emailed them about this. Here is their reply:

"Thanks for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry, and thanks for using Shell lubricants.

ROTELLA T Synthetic has recently been upgraded to API Service Category CI-4 quality, and will be in retail stores the end of January.

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 is our "flagship" heavy duty engine oil, and consequently is the first to upgrade to more advanced performance specifications. Using CH-4 quality ROTELLA T Synthetic in your Duramax will not cause problems.

The principal benefit of synthetics is their extreme temperature performance. At subfreezing temperatures, they have better flow and pumpability performance compared to mineral oils. This can benefit your engine with better lubrication at subfreezing temperatures, and quicker starts, which means less work for your starting system. At very high temperatures, they can have better oxidation resistance. In most diesel engines, oil temperatures don't get hot enough for this product feature to provide a significant benefit.

Because synthetic oils have better flow properties, they can also contribute to more efficient engine cooling.

Synthetic oils also offer the opportunity to improve fuel economy because they usually have a lower viscosity grade compared to mineral oils. And because they usually have lower volatility, synthetics can sometimes give better oil economy - you may not have to top-off as often.

Peter Van Benthuysen"

I think I'll use this synthetic for the winter and then switch to the regular Rotella T for warmer weather. I'm not going for extended drain intervals and I think the regular oil is satisfactory and then some.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"></TD></TR>
<BLOCKQUOTE id=e66be578>
4x4man said:
GM recommends 5w-40 for colder temps, so there is no problem there. I use Delo 15w-40. Sorry I have no info to give on Rotella 5w-40...

Bob
Just took mine to the dealer for the first change and inspection. They put 15w 40 in...............HMMMM? It's cold here in Chicago........hmmmmm?</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
432 Posts
I pay $89 for 4 gallons of Delvac 1 5W40 Synthetic at my local oil distributor. I call day before and they have in waiting for me as I go by on my lunch hour.

Thats about $5.50 a QT.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"></TD></TR>
<BLOCKQUOTE id=b921336>
Chevysrus said:
I pay $89 for 4 gallons of Delvac 1 5W40 Synthetic at my local oil distributor. I call day before and they have in waiting for me as I go by on my lunch hour.

Thats about $5.50 a QT.
The dealer is charging 5.31 a quart for the GM stuff, at least the dealer I'm using</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just put Delvac 1 5w-40 in my truck last week, and it has Lower cold start pressure, and higher hot idle pressure. Thats good!!! Only problem I had was the dealer put in 12 quarts - whoops! The fumoto valve came in real handy to adjust the oil to the correct level. The engine seems to run a lot smoother when cold too.

Mackin thanks for that post good information.

Engineer BillEdited by: EngineerBill

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nobody uses Delo 400 15-40?

This is what I intend to use since I get it free....if there's no reason not to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only used Delo 400 15-40 in marine diesels and seems that's what most of the marine engines use out here. But I've been using Rotella in my Duramax and am considering changing to Delo based on the chart from AMSOil (http://www.amsoil.com/products/hdd.html). According to AMSOil - Delvac 1300, Delo, and Rotella are pretty darm close regarding engine wear.

sfwarpath

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I used the dealer oil(Rotella), than at 7500k went to Rotella Syn 5w40 until around 16,000. Then I switched to Schaeffer's 15w40 and just ordered another 6 gallons of it, plus 24 quarts of 5w30 for the wife's T-blazer.

Not a full syn, but a full 15w, but also at a really good price.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just did an oil change today at 6200 milws...using pennzoil 15w-40 and a delco filter...its not a daily driver and if i have to use it in the cold, i can plug it in first...just as a visual comparison, the Pennzoil seems to have more body and just looks better than other oils ive used in the past. my two sense..bob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts