Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in north carolina and the winters here are cold but not extremly cold. On average it is in the 30's or so. Every now and then it gets in the teen's. My question is, is there any need to go to a lower weight with these's temps? It still gets in the 40's during the days.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
A change to one of the properly rated synthetics (Rotella-T or Delvac-1 5W40) will give you lower cold start pressure and still provide film strength at warmer temperatures. The synthetics will give you many more benefits as well, albeit at a higher price per quart. The only real caution that I'm aware of on viscosity is to not go too low - as in some of the 5W30 lubes out there. GM recommends no lower than 15W40 with a caveat that 5W40 syns may be used in cold weather. I keep the 40 on the right end of my lubes, but do swap to 15W40 in the warmer months and 5W40 syn in the winter. I'm looking at going full-time synthetic (was planning on Delvac-1), but have been intrigued by the Schaeffer 15W40 and may give that a spin first.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now problems switching between dino and synthetic?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Nope, not with modern oils and their additive packs. There used to be issues with compatibility and extra solvent actions that could remove/release films and residues but not any more.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have but about 1000 miles on the oil ( delvac 1300 15w-40) should I change it before it is time to get the lower weight? This is my secondary truck. I don;t put but about 150 miles a week on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
wakeboarder said:
should I change it before it is time to get the lower weight? ...

Idle Chatter's comments are right-on. Also concerning your current 15w40 fill, IMHO I don't think you need to change out the 15w40 until it's due for a change unless you want to. I currently run 5W40 year round in my Dmax but in the past I have run 15W40 in my other Diesels during the winter with no problems in below zero temps. If you have a cold spell before your next oil change just plug in the block heater and take it easy until the oil pressure starts to come down and the oil warms up. Also, the first number (ie 5W) of the oil's viscosity rating is a measure of the cold temp performance and the high number (40) is a measure of the oil's viscosity when hot. So in general 15w40 and 5w40 are the same when hot but the 5w will flow better when cold compared to the 15w.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also run 15w-40 through the winter, here in WI it gets pretty brisk from time to time, and I have never had any trouble, same as a "Big Truck" (semi) we run 15w-40 year round in them to.

Think about it...when it gets to below 0 temps you should be plugging in your trucks anyway, so the oil will be already warm, no problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Duramax54304 said:
...when it gets to below 0 temps you should be plugging in your trucks anyway, so the oil will be already warm, no problem.

Unfortunately, the OEM block heater primarily warms up the heads which helps with cold starting but it's not much help for heating the oil ... However there are some add-on heaters that will also heat the oil. Greg sells the ESPAR which is diesel fired and JK has an electric Pro Heat pan heater. I don't have any personal experience with these but they look pretty nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts