Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering how much (if any) oil your D-Max's use between oil changes? I havnt seen much for useage before, but when I checked my oil the other morning with about 4k miles on synthetic oil I was about 3 notches down! Is this normal for 4K miles on an oil change? Needless to say, I'm going to change oil this weekend and keep closer tabs on it this time... I just wondered if others were using any oil....I have almost 70k on the truck..

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Jason, will depend largly on how you use the truck. Normally it should use very little, but if you do alot of heavy towing, idling or other extreme's, the usage will be up. IIRC GM says a qt per 100 hours is normal. Change it, make sure its full and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 8000 km (5000 mi) and the oil has been changed for the first time. During initial engine break-in periods before the first oil change, oil consumption may exceed 1.9 liters (2 quarts) or more per 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used.

1. <LI =1>Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.
    <LI =1>Begin oil consumption test after next regularly scheduled oil and filter change. Oil changes should not be performed during the test.
    <LI =1>Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).
    <LI =1>Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    <LI =1>Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that most of the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.
    <LI =1>Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
    <LI =1>Dealer should record the vehicle mileage, date and engine hours at the start of the test on the form included in this bulletin.
    <LI =1>Ask the customer to verify and record the date, odometer, oil level, fuel added, and engine hours, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 3-5 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low, if possible. The dealer will add oil to return the oil level to full. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until either the oil level drops to or below the add mark or at least 4800 km (3000 mi) has accumulated since the test began before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
    <LI =1>If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used, follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used, explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption. </LI>
<A name=ss15-907045><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=907045&psdid=297&evc=sm#ss15-907045" target="_blank">
<H5></A> </H5>

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 13,000 plus miles on a 2003 DMax, about 3000 of that pulling a 10,000+ pound toybox. I am on my third oil change, first one at about 3,000 miles at the dealer, second change at the dealer at about 7,200 miles (after a 2,000 mile tow), and the third at about 10,100 miles (did it at home when I installed a Fumoto valve and changed to Chevron Delo 400 oil). Right after that change I made a 2,800 mile round trip to Mexico pulling an enclosed trailer with three bikes and gear. I have never seen the oil level fall below the first bump on the stick since I have owned the truck, and it appeared to use no oil on the trip to Mexico.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
New till 7,500; factory dino.

Tille 13,600 with Delo 400 (15-40), changed to AMSOIL (15-40); ZERO oil consumpsion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Max Farmer,

Did you check the oil level at some time between now and when you last changed it? Is there a possibility that when you changed it you forgot to check again after you ran the engine? I have never noticed any usage in mine but it's still just a baby at 13k miles, and I changed it at 1.5k, 5k, and 10k. --SS

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
salmon slayer,

Love my baby.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have made 3 round trips, Florida to Ohio, pulling my Airstream Travel Trailer and a Featherlite gooseneck horse trailer, grossing about 10,000 lbs. No oil consumption at all, that I can see. Running Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Salmon Slayer, I'm beginning to think the same thing as what you said. I havn't noticed ANY oil use before this last check. Its my first time going to Delvac 5-40 and I got it out of bulk (in a 2.5 gallon jug out of the dealer's 55 gal barrel). Maybe I didnt get it as full as I thought at my last oil change.... I'm going to change oil this weekend and make damn sure I have her full, and then keep a real close eye on it for a while. Thanks for all the replys also!

Jason

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had my first oil change at 2000 miles... before I took the truck to the dealership for a (free) oil change, I checked it, and it was right where it was when I drove it off the lot the day I bought it... I now have 3200 miles on the truck and it hasn't used any oil since the 2000 mile oil change.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts