Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil today, does not even register on the dipstick. I changed it about 3000 miles ago. It has never done this before, before oil changes it is still almost full, or down one tick mark on the dipstick. I change the oil every 6000 miles, truck has 63000 miles on it, I use rotella 15-40, when I do the oil I do not rely on the dipstick to decide when it is full, I just add 10 qts, then double check to make sure. There are no visible leaks, never marks its territory. Still has great oil pressure, cant notice any difference in performance. I would never imagine this is normal, b/c it has never been this low.:eek:
Please give me your input:help:

On a side note, my power steering pump is whining like a dying banshee, only when cold, or after long periods of high rpm cruising, what could this be? If I need to replace it where do I buy from? And yes it is full of fluid, would flushing it help at all?

:help:

Thanks for the help!
Matt

·
Registered
206 Posts
On my family 01 it did something like that from the injectors pumping diesel into the crankcase. If you cannot smell the diesel on the dipstick probably wait for a response from someone that is not a novice to the group to respond.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
The oil in mine did the same thing once,was just above the add mark.Never did figure it out,guess the engine just got thirsty!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hmmm, doesn't sound normal at all. Never had to put any in mine.. knock on wood. Were you using it harder than normal ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I dont think I have even towed a large load or anything, been driving like grandma trying to save a little $ on fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem, just started last summer. Dealer can't find anything wrong. We are running an oil consumption test which is recording the milage and oil usage. seems to have settled down since last oil change - no usage.

04 sliverado 2500HD, 39,939mi

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I filled it back up, took 3 qts! I havent been driving it alot lately so well see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
750 miles per qt

i just bought mine. 01 ext cab. i think i'm using about a quart to every 750 miles. guy i bought it from said 1/2 qt to 4,000 miles. no hard towing or loads. i'll let u guys know for sure. wrote down mileage this time when i added.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:( My truck did that once and it was leaking out the plug,it was tight I thought but it was enough to let 3 QTS. disappear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts