Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 CCLB Duramax/Allison 4x4.

I've got a little over 50,000 on the dial, I've done all my own general maintenance (oil changes, differential changes, ...).

Yesterday I went to change oil, the underside, on the drivers side is covered with oil (either front differential oil or engine oil, definitetly not transmission oil). I can't tell exactly which kind. It is covered from just in front of the front axle (right under the front diff vent) to about the middle of the transmission. All over the skid plate and under the body, and along the drivers side torsion bar. I checked the front diff, it doesn't seem low. I checked the dip stick, it didn't seem low and there was 5k on the oil ( I use synthetic and change every 5k miles). The front diff was changed at 30k miles.

I haven't actually used the 4wd until about 3 weeks ago. It was driven about 20 miles in 4wd-HI at about 35-40 mph.

I changed the oil, lubed the chassis and then washed the underside of the truck in an attempt to see where it was leaking (if it was leaking). 30 miles and no new oil underneath.

Does anyone think that there is a real problem, or was it just one of those things where it blew some (most likely front diff) oil out a vent?

Thanks,

Bert

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
look for the vent hose on the front diff, mine was not installed properly and it would blow fluid out once and a while. Also have seen where the vent caps would loosen up and leak.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dmaxallitech,

Thanks for the tip. I found new oil (and it was clear out the back and up the back of my topper this time). I called a local dealer, they said bring it in friday, we'll look at it tuesday. I said "thanks"
. So I ran it up on the ramps and crawled under it, reached up and grabbed the vent hose and just shook it a little. The whole vent piece shook
. I gave the hose a good tug and the whole vent piece popped right out. It's amazing that it lasted 50k before it started to leak. It had to be installed incorrectly from the get go. Looked like it was loose all along and the O-ring finally gave out.

I decided not to fool with trying to find just the O-ring (actually the dealer said that they don't service just the O-ring). I thought about giving you a call for the white replacement, but, I couldn't wait for delivery (going goose hunting tomorrow) so I bit the bullet and paid the full $22 and change for the white replacement at the dealer.

Screwed it in as tight as I could get it by hand (on a socket), put a mark on it with a sharpie and turned it about 1/4 turn with a wrench.

Is that about right? Over-tightned? Not tight enough?

Thanks

Bert

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I dont know about incorrect install, usually they just work themselves loose, Your ok in your method of tightning. I have used a few dabs of wheatherstrip adhesive on the threads or some teflon tape works good also to keep it from loosening

1 - 4 of 4 Posts