Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has 6200 miles on it now, and just completed the seconed oil change. I use Rotella 15-40 and delco filters. My question is that after both of the oil changes I notice a oil smell, perhaps burning, but don't know? It seems to go away after a while. Has anyone noticed this and what is it? I have no leaks where it would be burning. Is it coming from the exhaust or what? Input is welcome

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
thats very typical for some oils, I notice it more so on Rotella. Its just the smell it has, nothign to worry about.

Eric

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same here 10w40ss 15x40 stink big time have tried others and seem a lot less or no smell.First time I used Shell could have swore that I had poured oil on manifold had to check twice to be sure

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hey !!!!!!

Second go round .....

Positive crankcase ventilation ..... Some erls stink worse than others ..... Mobil Delvac syn , I find is pretty tame ....

Mac

·
Registered
361 Posts
I put about 40k on my last max useing Valvoline Blue Max. I switched to Shell Rotella synthetic then. I noticed the smell as well. Before that I did not realize their was a synthetic diesel oil.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Chevron Delo 400 smells for the first 500 miles or so. With Delvac1, noticed no smell.

I have added a small extension to the crankcase breather tube to vent the fumes below the truck. Seems to help some.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Agreed... Got the same smell with Rotella, seems to be normal for it to smell for a while after an oil change. However, the Delvac 1300 didn't seem to put out any "fumes" on my last oil change. No biggie..

Bob

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you think the Rotella dino is bad wait til you try their synthetic. Later! Frank

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I've been using Chevron Delo for a good while now cause WalMart always seems to have gallons on the shelf when I get there. No smell at all.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
DOLIVER said:
This is the reason I call it ROSMELLA

agree with that one,

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was talking to the regional distribution the other day about this issue and they say they know nothing of the smell
But when I told them that I have used Canadian Tire Corp name brand oil and got no smell they said they are the supplier to CTC
.When I questioned further found out the oil is made to CTC spec's,I guess ctc spec is no smell
Also they said it is not uncommon to use a little oil in the first change when switching over to rotella.I have used rotella in my excavator with the same results "stinks",just used the last of 2, 5 gallon pails 10w40 semi synthetic and 15w40 reg won't be getting anymore

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
try Schaeffers, no smell.. less then 15 bucks a gallon.. semi-synthetic that out performs Delvac in many tests. Mike Tomac and myself are going to use it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I didn't notice any smell with Amsoil either but a lot of things don't work as well as they used to. Later! Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
well halleluia I just changed mine the other day and left on a trip with the so called rosmella and when i stoped for fuel it smelled terrible i thought I screwed up and checked everywhere for spilled oil to no avail was going to post the question but thought it was probably to stupid to ask but I guess not

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey guys, how long does the smell last? I'll be changing my oil for the first time soon and have the Rotella T sitting in the garage. Now I'm thinking about taking it back and getting something else.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think it ever really goes away totally.Can see no reason to use a product that you know stinks when you can use others that don't, unless you like what smells like oil burning on the manifold
How's that answer Crew Cab Dude

·
Registered
405 Posts
For a 100 miles at the most.... it's a diesel, it smells.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts