Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the oil pressure gauge to work. I thought I had it the other dat, when I climbed in and found the sender and wire. I pulled on and twisted the wire to the sender and the gauge worked for a couple minutes then quit again. At least it was long enough to establish that the pressure was 45 at idle and climbed from there till it quit again-to full right needle. I've decided to attach a mechanical gauge, but as hard as it is to get to the sender, I would like to find an easier place to pick up the pressure. Any suggestions?

1984 GMC 1500 W/6.2 non turbo.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You can get at the sender from both above and below. Disconnect the batteries, take off the air cleaner and the glow plug controller. You can try to get the sender out from above, but it's likely that you can only turn part of the housing as it will "slip" at the seam. If it does, you can get it from below. Once the sender is out, you can put in the fitting for the mechanical gauge from above or from below, whatever is easier, but you may have to tighten it from below in any case.

It looks difficult and hard to get to, but once you start working on it, it is not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Lee, but like I said in my first post, I have already had my hands on it and COULD, if I have to, do as you suggest, but would rather find another place on the block if one is available. I know whether I get to it from top or bottom, I'll lose some more skin and I'm gettin' older and my skin ain't as tough as it used to be, and working with gloves...well I just don't like them. So I'm looking for an alternate location if possible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got to thinking-I know it's dangerous-but I wondered if I could just put a "tee" in the oil cooler line with a suitable fitting for the mechanical oil sender to go into. I'm off to the hardware store......

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used a 3 hole fuel block mounted on firewall (summit) ran a braided hose up to it and mounted the sender there, they also make a two port block.
Worked for me.
Merle

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used a 3 hole fuel block mounted on firewall (summit) ran a braided hose up to it and mounted the sender there, they also make a two port block.
Worked for me.
Merle
That's a nice solution Merle. I think I'd use the extra hole to mount a low pressure oil switch connected to a large red light in the dash for catastrophic oil-loss warning. I seem to recall that Chrysler used a 4-6psi switch at one time and surely there are lots of others as well.

Peyton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts