Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just drove another 6.5 and the oil pressure in it was just under 60 on acceleration and just under 40 cruising mine runs about 40 on accel and stays there cruisin........ how bad is this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
my oil presure runs about 40 when cruising will jump a little with accelleration not much though, at idle it stays at 20.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine runs slightly above 40, all the time. Been that way since new.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Oil pressure is 20 25 psi hot at idle 40 45 psi at 70mph (2200) rmp

Cold start 60 psi

Rotella 5 w40 synthetic
Purolator Pure One Oil Filter (PL34631)

Changed every 2500 miles

Johnny

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have always worried about this too as i have driven a lot of 6.5 trucks. Mine always seemed lower than theirs too. I have changed oil pressure senders 5 or 6 times & every one reads different. I put an amg 18:1 in last sept., no difference. I think the actual guages in the dash are a little goofy at times. Mine runs about 40 - -45 at hot highway speeds & will drop below 20 on a hot idle pulling a heavy load in hot weather. Mind you this is a brand new amg with 9,000 miles on it. I finally decided if it doesnt read zero i am not going to worry about it anymore. Hope this eases your mind.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little more observation, the oil pressure seems low cold it will run around that 40 psi but after warming up shell run around 30 almost directly in between the 20-40, some guys have told me no to worry and others say it is not right....alot of work to replace for the same results? any other possilbilities as to y the low oil?????

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any links on play by play on changing out the oil pump???????????????? sure it is not as easy as just dropping the oil pan and replacing it????????

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
have you tried mechanical gage, t'd into sender port. that will tell you if reading is same.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you concerned by this the most reliable way is to put in a mechanical gage. The dash gage's are really flaky sometimes and really aren't reliable.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Gauge may account for some of the difference. Type of oil and makes a big difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts