Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'03 LB7, Seems to run fine but at idle the oil pressure is very low. Is this something I need to worry about.

At 65 mph the gauge reads 60-65 lbs. of oil pressure but when I let out of the throttle it drops to 10-15 lbs. At idle it is even lower 10 or below.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does this after every oil change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its common from what I understand mine is the same way

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
DJack;1558454; said:
Its common from what I understand mine is the same way
x2

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
x3, but my dad's 01 doesn't :iamlost:

·
Registered
83 Posts
x4 mine does it too

·
Registered
250 Posts
My idles about 30psi at operating temp..a little higher after a oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you have the injectors replaced at some time. Sounds like the engine filled with diesel fuel which caused the main and rod bearings too wear. I think I read that duramaxs with diesel fuel in the oil were later losing oil pressure and spinning main bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '03 has 63,000, motor hasen't been touched(I'm now knocking on wood), used Amsoil Since 5000 miles and my oil pressure never goes below 30psi at idle (hot)

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Nothing to worry about, like The Late Great Smokey Tunick said, 10 PSI oil Pressure for every 1000 rpm's. so if you stay in this range, you are fine.

Also make darn sure you do not have diesel in the oil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
whitetrash21;1642560; said:
20-25psi hot idle for me and 65
at 2000 for me too.

Same....

-Colin

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Are you using 15w40 now? Winter oil 5w40 will have lower pressure. 5w30 will be even lower at idle when hot.

jb

·
Registered
432 Posts
Daing I have good oil pressure.
I'm running Rotella 15w 40 in my 01 and at idle (warm) it sits about 45-50
any rpm it jumps up into the 70-80 range.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine usually idles between 20-30 after warm.. but driving its up around 60-70.. and when I first start out.. it might sit maxed on 80. I now have synthetic and didn't notice a difference.

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
AZDMAX;1644909; said:
Daing I have good oil pressure.
I'm running Rotella 15w 40 in my 01 and at idle (warm) it sits about 45-50
any rpm it jumps up into the 70-80 range.

i had an 01 in the shop and when i was driving it, it seemed to have a high oil pressure than my 03. dont know if it was the gauge or what but i definatly noticed it. when i first got my truck i would let it idle for a few minuets then i would take off. while driving i would have to feather the throttle or my oil pressure would go over 120! i told the dealer and they updated a module in the dash and that cured that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.