• 37+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little friendly discussion, I thought it would be nice to see how many that are using 5w40 synthetic are having either good or bad results at hot idle temps

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have no issue with Delvac and idle pressure, I think there was a change in the gauge or sensor after the 01 model year, dropped pressure indicated to the gauge.

I don't know if these gauges are accurate or if its "relative" pressure......ya know........kinda like an old ford temp gauge....kinda hot...kinda cold

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have none either but Problem child seems to take issue on the matter, stating very many has the problem. I just want to know what the real #'s are.

I guess we'll see

Regards,

Pepperidge

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
If all the users can post the year of the dmax they own. We would have some more info. Maybe the different years had different readings.

From what Im seeing its an 03 specific issue. Here are some posts from other 03 owners.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1* Posted: 15 December 2003 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | Report Post

Diesel Enthusiast

Group: Diesel Enthusiast
Posts: 34 I switched over to Delvac 1 at 1200 miles and my gauge reads the same as yours. It seems low compared to the higher oil pressure of the previous years. I've read posts on another forum that indicate it's normal. I haven't had any oil related failures and I have 23k on the truck so far.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sixfoot Posted: 16 December 2003 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | Report Post

Diesel Enthusiast

Posts: 40 I had mine checked at the dealer for this same issue. They put a manual guage on and it read 18psi hot. They checked the three other new d-max trucks on the lot and they were all the same as mine. They say it's normal.

UNI air filter
Stock...for now
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Atrzes Posted: 17 December 2003 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | Report Post

Diesel Enthusiast

Posts: 6 Looks the same as mine, talked to delarship and they told it was norm! But it did drop after the first change?

Edited by Atrzes on 17 December 2003 at 5:00pm

DIESEL 5 Posted: 03 February 2004 at 11:30pm | IP Logged

I have to agree with PC, you just can't trust that "GM idiot guage"

I have the X-Monitor connected to the same pressure port and it always was lower than the GM guage.

The funny thing is that about a month ago my GM gauge started a new trend. Hot idle X-Monitor = 13lb ; GM =60lb (all with Delvac 1)

TransGo+Suncoast Pro-Loc
By Mike L
20" Edge,305/50/20 Goodyear
CompuSTAR remote/alarm
KODIAK sideWINDER
Mag-Hytec

Pictures

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have an '03 and it is not an issue. Good hot and cold pressures.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My '02 always shows strong oil pressure hot or cold, regular or synthetic oil. Recently switched to Rotella syn., and noticed no diff. in pressure. Factory gauge reads about 40 psi @ idle, will peg under acceleration, and stays about 70 psi @ cruising speeds. DinoMax

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
01 29/36

It was said that GM addressed the High cold oil pressure with changes in the oil pump I believe in 03 ....

If I recall some one was trying to find out the differance in the pumps .... Perhaps Eric or Sid could find out for confirmation ...

Mac

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PC,

Are you the one that is "in trouble now" ???(10-14)

Pepperidge

·
Registered
626 Posts
I run Delvac 1 5W-40 and my truck idles at 40 PSI hot. It must be a variation from truck to truck. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 03 will usually hot idle just above 30 with Delvac 1. I really saw a big drop in cold start pressure compared to Delo 400 but not much at operating temps. --SS

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 02, 54K, been running Mobil 1 Delvac since 5K. I get 45 hot at idle 75-80 hot at speed.

Bert

·
Registered
48 Posts
I changed my 02 to Delvac 1 at 3,000 miles. Now have 32,000 on the truck, doesn't use a drop between 7,500 mile changes. Hot idle is around 35 lbs, hot cruise at 1800 rpm is around 70 lbs. When cold it will almost peg the guage.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1 since 11,000 mile breakin with delvac 1300, WIX filters.

Hot idle is always just below 30 (29-36 vote)

At speed, it runs aroung 60

At cold...no more than 90

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I switched to synthetic I noticed my cold PSI peak dropped from just past 90 to right at 90 - this was during the summer months. Warm idle dropped from 30 to maybe 28. During normal highway driving I really haven't noticed much if any change at all.

I'm in West MI and even after sitting outside all day at 5 degrees, the cold start PSI doesn't exceed 90 by much. If I was runing Dino I should expect this to go higher with a cold engine, correct?

The drop at warm Idle WAS very noticeable, though! Clearly at a different mark on the gauge.

Fred G

03 Dmax/Alli CC

·
Registered
747 Posts
FWIW, I am not running Delvac 1 yet. I am currently at just under 5k miles and still running Rotella 15w40. My warm idle pressure is around 30 psi. Cold idle pressure is around 80 psi. Maybe they changed the gauge or sending unit in some of the '03's and all the '04's. PC, maybe it is just a problem with your gauge. A lot of the factory gauges can leave a lot to be desired in the area of accuracy.

I did not vote in this poll since I am not running Delvac. I just thought I would throw in my $.02.

·
Registered
43 Posts
5-40 Valvoline Extreme Blue here, about 31-32 lbs hot idle.

Ron

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ron,

I was just wondering if that was the same stuff that valvoline used to market for Cummins engines, a synthetic called Turbo Blue?

Pepperidge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pepper, I beleive it is, it has the big blue C on the label and recommended by Cummins. That is just their 2cent plug I guess. lol.

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts