Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to tee in an oil pressure switch for a electric fuel pump next to the oil pressure sender. Unfortunately, I cannot find the oil pressure sender... could someone point me in the right direction? Also, if there is a better spot to tee in a pressure cut off switch, please let me know

Thanks!

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
um...I think... its on the back of the engine, drivers side. a bit hard to get to against the firewall.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Update your signature line so we know what kind of vehicle we're dealing with (see how-to in the FAQ's). If it's a 6.2, the sender is located at the rear of the block, behind and slightly below the vacuum pump, on the left side. Just above the bell housing flange. It contains a 30 degree fitting to bring it straight up. The fitting is screwed into the block and the sender is then screwed into the fitting.

You can tee into the fitting but you must work from under the hood and remove the stuff that's in the way. The vacuum pump can be loosened and turned to gain access. The glow plug relay on the '83 and later trucks will need to be removed. Once access is clear, remove the sender by using a short 9/16 open end wrench. Some use a crowsfoot tool. I bought a cheap open end 9/16" wrench, heated and bent it 90 degrees. I use a crescent wrench to turn it. Not a fun job but can be done without too many cuts on the knuckles.

The block threads are metric (I think). If not, they're 1/4" pipe thread, which means you should leave the existing fitting in the block and work out from it. The sender threads are 1/8" pipe. A short 1/8" pipe tee fitting with a short (2") nipple should get you up high enough to install the additional sender at a 90 degree angle to the oil pressure sender.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your help. I do indeed have a 6.2L... is there any other place i could tee in a pressure switch that would be easier?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think there are tapped and plugged holes near the cooler lines, I've never tried to get them out or check pressures. I've always used the existing sensor hole. Some of my service manuals have diagrams of the oiling systems. I'll look for info. Maybe somebody else already has the answer, Dave?

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant temp sender

I am also installing some Autometer guages in an 86 CUCV 6.2. Does any one know where the coolant temp sender is? The truck has a warning light only no guage and I cannot figure out where to put it. There is a low coolant sensor on the radiator but putting the sensor on the radiator seems kind of useless. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
coolant sensor

I am also installing some Autometer guages in an 86 CUCV 6.2. Does any one know where the coolant temp sender is? The truck has a warning light only no guage and I cannot figure out where to put it. There is a low coolant sensor on the radiator but putting the sensor on the radiator seems kind of useless. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi ,

driver side , yellow arrow on the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perfect. I thought so, but did not want to pull the old one before double checking. Thanks alot, the picture was great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still trying to figure out where to put in the pressure switch for my fuel pump (other projects got in the way... you know how that goes).

Could I tee it into the oil cooler line where it goes into the radiator? (would there be sufficient pressure, probably a few PSI?)

thanks!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Don't think so. I would use a known "pressure passage". The only one I know of that is a "sure bet" is the one at the back of the block that we've already talked about. The one where the stock o/p sender is located. It's drilled right off the main oil galley, close to the oil pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts