Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 LB7 that I just bought it about 2 months ago.It has 144,000 miles on it. This is my first duramax and only the second diesel the other is a ford. But is the oil pressure supposed to fluxuate depending on the RPMs? Mine will get up to about 60 at about 2000RPMs and then when I let off the gas it will drop down to about 30. Is it supposed to do that? I am used to gas burners where it gets up to 62 and stays there. I am also only getting abot 13MPG driving around town and from what I am reading that is low. I have read about having diesel in the oil because of injectors going bad. How do I check for this and is there andthing else that I need to do to help with the fuel economy? Thanks

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Mud_Man_AL;1592388; said:
I have an 02 LB7 that I just bought it about 2 months ago.It has 144,000 miles on it. This is my first duramax and only the second diesel the other is a ford. But is the oil pressure supposed to fluxuate depending on the RPMs? Mine will get up to about 60 at about 2000RPMs and then when I let off the gas it will drop down to about 30. Is it supposed to do that? I am used to gas burners where it gets up to 62 and stays there. I am also only getting abot 13MPG driving around town and from what I am reading that is low. I have read about having diesel in the oil because of injectors going bad. How do I check for this and is there andthing else that I need to do to help with the fuel economy? Thanks
Your oil pressure sounds normal, winter blend will kill your MPG's

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Normal oil pressure, X2 with towdog.

The winter blends have not made it to Florida, I still get about 20 MPG, but it is getting hard to manage the right foot, especially when a fart can exhaust car comes up beside you and thinks he is coooool then you leave him looking for daylight through the haze....

God I love my truck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Chevrolet actually puts a pressure gauge in the dash instead of a glorified idiot light. All oil pressures fluctuate with RPM, with others you just can't see it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is about 80 cold, 70 warm and running at 2000 rpm's, and never drops below 50-55 when idleing hot, are mine too high???

·
Registered
330 Posts
washingtonconcrete;1593241; said:
Mine is about 80 cold, 70 warm and running at 2000 rpm's, and never drops below 50-55 when idleing hot, are mine too high???

Unless you tap in an accurate mechanical gauge, you don't really know the "real" pressure. Your's sounds fine for these gauges.

Besides, mine's in kpa and I have no idea what it means. It just gives consistent readings that sounds similar to yours.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I treat my factory gauges like this:

Doing same thing = Good

Doing something different = Bad

In other words, I don't depend on them for any kind of numerical accuracy, more like "it's where it usually is so we're good."

·
Registered
47 Posts
about the diesel in oil test

there is a thread on how to tell if you have diesel in your oil in the DIY section. Do a search on the paper towel test.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
oil pressure fluctuations sound very normal to me and are close to what I see on my 03. Fuel economy, well that's across the board, depending on weather, driving style, what cycle the moon is in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts