Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched on this first, but I need some input.

My Father recently switched his 2003 DuraMax to run Esso XD-3 0W40 for the colder months. I've heard tell that now the oil pressure guage is reading quite a bit lower than usual. While the DIC has not posted any warnings I am a little concerned. The oil pressure is not my main concern though, as there is another condition that has also surfaced at the same time that makes me raise an eyebrow. The operating temps are now running about where they should (around 100 degrees C) . With the 15W40 in there the truck hardly, if ever, ran at around 50C-60C. Much too cold in my mind. What concerns should he have? Should he be going back to 15W40?
Now before I hear someone say synthetic is crap, the Esso oil I recommended him to run meets all specifications required by the manual, and is actually a thicker oil at operating temp than it's 15W40 counterpart. The only difference is that the 0W rating keeps the oil more fluid in the cold (not thinner).

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had a dealer tell me that low oil pressure for dmax is 14psi @ idle what psi are you reading.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i would try a synthetic 5w40 like rotella or mobile1 instead of 0w40. the pour point of the 5w40 should help even to -0 F. my opinion, the 0w40 is to light.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
:exactly: i would change it out and try some 5w40 and see if it changes and dont forget you have a block heater you could go back to the 15w40 and just use the block heater

i would try a synthetic 5w40 like rotella or mobile1 instead of 0w40. the pour point of the 5w40 should help even to -0 F. my opinion, the 0w40 is to light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts