Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing with the demo version with a file and I see the oil life monitor can be adjusted. This comfirms what I have thought all along about the oil life system. 10K miles is what it will always go off at.

Greg

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Nope, you can reset it with EFI or a Tech II - it is calculated in the ECM and NOT an odometer clock. 10,000 miles is the "base" value. "Penalty values" are calculated continuously and applied to the 10,000 mile base figure. From Service Manual Volume 4, Engine Controls -6.6L, Page 6-2821:

Engine Oil Life Remaining - Range 0-100 Percent:
Indicates the calculated current oil life remaining according to the ECM. This is based on ECM calculations of mileage, driving conditions, temperature, and load conditions.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Playing with the demo version with a file and I see the oil life monitor can be adjusted. This comfirms what I have thought all along about the oil life system. 10K miles is what it will always go off at.

Greg
OBTW, in 4 years and 118,500 miles my change oil light has NEVER gone off at 10,000 miles. It typically goes off at around 7800 miles. Has been as low as 7300 miles and last time went off at 8340 miles.;)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
OBTW, in 4 years and 118,500 miles my change oil light has NEVER gone off at 10,000 miles. It typically goes off at around 7800 miles. Has been as low as 7300 miles and last time went off at 8340 miles.;)
That is consistant with mine. Never less then 7,130 miles, and never more then 8,170 miles.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Which means that your particular driving style and habits produce very low "penalties" for your oil life monitor. When I do a lot of high-speed long-mileage interstate driving, my monitor trip mileage seems to drop in comparison to the daily medium-range commute driving that I'm doing now in Idaho. The oil life algorithm apparently incorporates input from ECT, VSS, mileage and engine run time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Diesel engine oil will often turn black just driving it for a day or less. That is perfectly normal and if you are using a good quality diesel engine oil it is nothing to worry about. If it wasn't back, then I would worry.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts