Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My change engine oil just came on and it has been on for about a week. At the end of that week I recieved a service reminder from the dealer that I bought it from telling me that my change engine oil light was on and that I needed to change the oil. Also included in that was the statement that "you are approaching 78xxx miles and you may need these services too" I was floored. I do put on many more miles than average and they knew exactly how many miles were on my truck.....

Does GM equiped with Onstar have that little black box that lets them know exactly where you drive, how fast, how hard, and how many miles???? Seems to me they are keeping a closer eye on us than one might expect.

·
Registered
421 Posts
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

George Orwell just had his dates a little off.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
They aren't tracking you all the time. When they are on a call with you they can access data from the truck through the onstar system. Mileage is one piece of data they can call up obviously. For them to track you all the time, everywhere you go would require a constant cell phone connection. This would eventually cost GM a LOT Of money. There is no way that onstar is in constant communication.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never use the onstar. I bought the truck used and never renewed the service. I can understand them monitoring if I were on a call or something but....i never never use it....they accessed my trucks info when the change engine oil light came on....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not sure exactly how it works, but OnStar is capable of picking up various codes generated by the truck, for instance airbag inflation, is not dependent on your use of the system.

Supposedly you can call with problems and the OnStar can pick up the codes from the truck for dealer trouble shooting. Have you tried calling them to see if they picked up the code?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My understanding is that you must initiate the call before they can perform such diagnostics. In the case of the airbag, the system is configured to automatically call the OnStar emergency center when the airbags are deployed. It's just like a cell phone that relays a GPS location and an airbag deploy code except that the airbag circuit initiates the call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts